Ethernet Connected WiFi Repeater/Extender

Old 10-01-20, 02:46 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ethernet Connected WiFi Repeater/Extender

I have 1G internet (Comcast) with a strong wifi signal downstairs (with one extender), but I'd like to improve the wifi signal upstairs.

I will be running a Cat 6 cable outside of the house to the upstairs to create an ethernet connection. We have an office upstairs, so this will provide for one LAN connection. I would like to also add a switch upstairs and have a second ethernet connection that would go directly to a wifi repeater/extender (or something equivalent) to boost the wifi signal upstairs.

What is the best device and configuration to help increase the wifi signal?

Old 10-01-20, 05:40 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
A) What I have done: Run the ethernet cable to a desktop computer, add a WiFi card or WiFi dongle to the desktop. Enable internet connection sharing and bridge mode on the desktop. Your desktop will now broadcast WiFi.
B) What I would do: Get a Westell 329w dsl modem ($4-$6 on ebay). Take about 20 minutes to reset it, and configure it as an access point- This gives you three ethernet ports running at 100 megs, (4 ports- 1 ethernet in, 3 ethernet out) and 54 meg WiFi G coverage.

Old 10-01-20, 08:55 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
you could do a powerline with wifi to make it easier. put a powerline adapter by the router then throw the wifi one where you need it.

Old 10-02-20, 08:40 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Aagreed- you can combine a powerline adapter and access point.

For my 3rd floor study/library I have a Westell 329W configured as an access point, internet and local network supplied over ethernet from a powerline adapter on the 3rd floor paired with a powerline adapter is on the 1st floor. The 1st floor powerline signal is fed from Mi424WR ("red chicklet) router configured as a MOCA based access point.

Old 10-02-20, 10:21 AM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
As long as you are running the ethernet cable to the second floor, I would take a different approach and buy a decent wifi router. That will give you strong wifi and the ability to hardwire with no loss of signal. Extenders take the existing signal and repeat it which creates losses. Powerline extenders can work but if you are going that far, just buy the wifi router for a few dollars more. In my case, I have 3 routers all using the same SSID which means as I move through the house, I automatically pickup the strongest wifi signal without needing to change connections. None of the routers need to be high end because they aren't responsible for trying to provide whole house coverage.

- Peter

Marvinator voted this post useful.
Old 10-02-20, 12:00 PM
Received 54 Upvotes on 47 Posts
If you want to do this right, don't use a hack like a repeater or powerline extender. Use a system which is designed from the start to operate as a WiFi mesh.

I use Netgear Orbis. I have the main access point RBR50 in the middle of my sprawling ranch home and 2 satellite RBS50 access points, one at each end of the house. My house is wired, so the Orbis can use wired backhaul. (Non-wired homes can use wireless backhaul, which requires proper placement of the units. Orbis have a dedicated 3rd channel for wireless backhaul, and it's pretty fast.) You may see bad reviews of Orbis on the web, because their firmware sucked when they first came out. It's been vastly improved since then and now works well. Orbis have built-in switches so you may not need external switches depending on the number of devices you want to wire.

Asus has a similar system called Lyra, but I can't tell from their site whether Lyra can use wired backhaul.

You could also use a set of mesh-enabled routers such as Asus routers with the "AiMesh" feature. Many of them have it now via updated firmware.

Old 10-03-20, 10:08 AM
S
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I sort of did what Hal_S suggested. The signal out on the deck wasn't great. I had a spare Linksys router and converted it to an access point. It's in the kitchen which provides good coverage to the deck - connected to the main router via an ethernet cable. DHCP needs to be disabled in the router that will be used as an access point.

Mine is connected to one of the standard ports that would normally be connected to a device, not the Internet port. I have a static IP just in case I need to access it via the browser.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: