Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

unwanted start up

06-16-01, 05:12 AM   #1  
my wife goes to all these contest sites,there is a program(?)that comes on when you go to internet explorer called passthison.com.what it is is an advertising site puts a banner up that you have to wait 30 secs for it to go away.I have looked all around in the computer for it and cant find it listed anywhere.it does'nt cause any problems other than having to look at something i don't care to see but i would like to get it out.any ideas? thanks

Sponsored Links

CANADA

06-16-01, 06:53 AM   #2  
This appears to be a home page in internet explorer, go to tools/internet options/
where it says hoem page, chaneg it to another site that you would prefer being your home page, click apply and ok. Now this page should be the one coming up when explorer is started.

Let us know if this solves it ?

06-17-01, 03:49 AM   #3  
thanks but what it does is when i click on explore passit on comes up then redirect to default home page.after searchalot comes up i do what you just said.its alright till i shut down then its back again.as i said i have looked in all the spots that i think it should be in order to delete it but can't find

CANADA

06-17-01, 06:08 AM   #4  
check...

START/PROGRAMS/START UP/
see what is listed here .

START/SETTINGS/CONMTROL PANEL/
click ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS
I am not sure what we are looking for but see if anything is listed that should not be there.

Also check START/PROGRAMS

one of the things to check for is anything that mentions passthison.com

I think that something got installed that causing interner exlorer to redirect when first started.

I checked out the site passthison.com, and it does like its popup windows and asked you to make it your home page I cancelled and several popups appear. I am willing to bet something is installed causing your problem and will need to be uninsatlled or removed from the startup sequence.

Visiting Guest

06-17-01, 10:15 AM   #5  
bigmike
Cookies

Turn off the cookies in Explorer, when you visit the site it will not be able to cookie you and change your web preferences. Personaly I would cease going to this site, if they are so insecure about you returning to them then they are not worth your time and effort. And any site that tampers with my settings get's a VERY harsh letter and a request as to how to stop their garbage language from being written to my system... If that doesn't work the Fair Trade Commission would like to hear about it...

Visiting Guest

06-17-01, 11:09 AM   #6  
Also check...

...your Favorites folder, you'd be surprised how many sites can add themselves to your Favorites list without your knowledge and regularly flush your Temp Internet cache, you can set how much hard disc space is used by your Temp Internet cache by going to Internet Options, Control Panel, and under the General tab look for Temporary Internet files and settings, I set my cache limit to 1Mb, this way nothing but Cookies get stored and these get edited anyway. If you have a slower Internet connection then set this cache size to around 5-10Mb.
Good luck 808

Visiting Guest

06-19-01, 06:13 AM   #7  
no_sparks
i've just read some of the posts here...i, too, got infected by the passthison crap (i don't mean to imply it's a virus, but it is so annoying i'm gonna have a stroke trying to get rid of it)...one of my kids got it from another friend....i've looked and looked as to where it is hiding...you guys have given me some more ideas....thanks

Visiting Guest

06-19-01, 06:47 AM   #8  
bigmike
Down to it

When it comes right down to it, Windoze sometimes and if your a real power user or even a normal user, Windoze just says I ain't gonna do that anymore etc. So, you learn how to partition your drive (So you don't lose your pictures etc.) and re-install Win 98. I'm not saying just to arbitrarily format and start over just because 98 hiccuped. Or you will be formating once a week! But when it gets to the point it just will not recover from a glitch or email type worm, or the build is getting sluggish even w/defrag etc., then save what you can, format, partition, format and start over... Save on the Motrin bill! I am a real power user, the LONGEST I have ever had a Windoze build last is Win/ME and it's 1yr 8 months old and still sound.

06-20-01, 02:55 AM   #9  
thanks everyone guess i will have to reformat because i have looked as no sparks says everywhere that i could think of and still cant find it.it has got to be there but its probably easier to just go ahead and reinstall thanks agin

NJ

06-21-01, 12:25 PM   #10  
Check your homepage.inf file (C:\windows\system). Near the end, in the [Strings] section, is a statement beginning: "FirstHomePage". See if there are any references to passthison. Change this to your "real" home page.

Visiting Guest

06-25-01, 06:04 AM   #11  
no_sparks
mr mojo - i may have succeeded in eliminating the passthison nuisance...i'm not completely convinced yet as this thing seems to re-appear unexpectedly. This is what I did: I went into my directory where all the cookies are stored. I deleted every single one of them (this might come back to haunt me, but it felt good). I then went into the view option at the top of explorer browser then selected internet options and the "general" tab. I clicked on the clear history and the delete temporary files. I then clicked on apply, ok..then i changed the default homepage to the one i wanted. This has somehow seemed to work. I checked it by disconnecting from my isp, shutting down my system, re-booting, then re-connecting to the isp. In the past the pasthison has re-appeared and re-directed my default home page. This time it did not occur. I will check again tonight after my kids are done with there email. The other thought I had was that it is still lurking in one of their email files....
good luck

06-28-01, 03:01 AM   #12  
thanks everyone for your help.still havent found it but i have found a way around it.before i open internet explorer i go to the control panel and switch to default home page and it no longer comes up.still trying to find it but till i do this will work.thanks again

WI

06-28-01, 06:10 AM   #13  
There is a good chance that passthison.com that you cant seem to get rid of is a .dat file, these files cannot be deleted by conventional means, you will usualy get a "file in use" error, wether you try from windows or from dos. I was searching for history cleaners lastnight and found one that users claimed to get rid of sites like the one you speak of. However do to my lack of memory I cant remember which one it was. I did find one that virtualy cleans every orifice of your system of all internet activity. It is free and does do a fine job.

I did a manual histroy clean on my office PC last night and then ran this program this morning, it found over 500 hidden url's and cookies that I had missed by using manual method. After rebooting the only hidden url's remaining were the ones that come with IE. (some 15-20 url's)

It also got rid of a network bug (I think) that kept telling me that "some" program failed to install, please reboot to try again. This program has been pissing me off for over a month (since the last time the sys admin imaged my disk). After running the porgram it no longer trys to install.

The program is called spider, and I downloaded the latest version, 1.16.

Check it out if you think it will help your problem.

http://www.fsm.nl/ward/

G'luck

Brian

Visiting Guest

06-29-01, 01:09 PM   #14  
no_sparks
mr. mojo - well....i have to report that despite my optimistic reports..passthison is back in all it's non-glory...sorry if i got your hopes up....this thing is unbelievable....i downloaded the "spider" last night and will try it this weekend....i'll report back if it works...

Visiting Guest

06-30-01, 09:29 AM   #15  
no_sparks
i tried running the spider utility...it seemed to clean-up a lot of stuff, but still no luck with pasthison..i found an interesting discussion on this subject at this link:
http://www.zdnet.com and typing in passthion on their search engine...it said this "experts" claimed the only way to remove passthison is deleting the reg.hta file in the starup folder....problem is i can't find this file

07-01-01, 04:01 AM   #16  
irratating isnt it?i checked out zdnet myself found no help .for some reason spider wont download for me gonna keep tryin though.thanks everyone if i figure this out you'll be the first to know

Visiting Guest

07-01-01, 07:48 AM   #17  
mikejmerritt
Been looking around into this passiton thing and found a couple of things. PassThisOn Start Page Hijacking has a step by step cure and this from Bugnet Don't "PassThisOn
It seems that when someone goes with passiton they agree to the home page disasters and popups as stated in the fine print or so they have said.
no_sparks, You are probably well past this but have you done a file and folder search for reg.hta and come up with nothing? Just curious because this file is the culprit and if you don't have it there may well be more to curing passthison in some cases. This seems to work like a kak.hta file in that you can delete and resume but on rebooting it is back......Mike

07-01-01, 09:03 AM   #18  
mike thanks a bunch it seems to have worked.followed the steps and have rebooted about 4-5 times just to see sofar-sogood again i appreciate it

07-02-01, 02:46 AM   #19  
mike everything is good still trying to download spider but my origanal prob is gone many thanks

Visiting Guest

07-02-01, 06:24 AM   #20  
no_sparks
mike - yes i did a search although i told it to search for " reg* " hoping to list all reg files. several were listed, but no reg.hta as mentioned in the link...i hate to admit this but i'm still on windows 95. could this possibly be the reason there was no reg.hta? i noticed in one of the links you provided that a reg.vbs file was mentioned. i don't recall if this file was present..i'll try it tonight when i get home...

i'll be out of town on vacation for the next week...so if i have no success...i'll be back complaining next week...

Visiting Guest

07-02-01, 11:12 AM   #21  
mikejmerritt
no_sparks, Nothing wrong with Win95. I know several power users that won't have anything else because they say Win98 is slow and elephant like. I don't know how passthison would differ in Win95 but it well could. I don't know yet what would rid you of this if you don't turn up reg.hta. Do you know if Win95 has a scanreg/restore feature like 98? If so, I think I would think about restoring my system to a previous date if all else fails. This is a step short of a format and you would only lose anything added since the date you return to which could be backed up beforehand. One other thing, go toHousecall and scan your system.......Mike

Visiting Guest

07-02-01, 06:37 PM   #22  
no_sparks
mike, mr. mojo -
success !!!! i went in and did another reg.hta search..still nothing...checked for reg.vbs and sure enough there was a reg.vbs in my start-up files...these type files are way beyond my computer knowledge, so I copied it to a floppy as a back up in case I had some big problems after deleting it...then crossed my fingers, zapped it from my hard drive, changed the preferences in Explorer, re-booted and WAH-LA !! like magic - no more passthison.. did a few re-boots...still no signs of this thing
i have no idea why i didn't have the reg.hta...but this really seems to have worked...before when i thought i had it deleted, i was not re-booting - only restarting Explorer..at this point i'm very optimistic especially since this is very similar to mr. mojo's success...

thanks for everyone's help....now i can leave on vacation and feel like i've put a major nuisance out to pasture..

07-04-01, 05:52 AM   #23  
ok,i have good news and....the passit on thing seems to have been deleted.I would like to download spider but i can download it but when i try to install it will blink?flash slowly at first and keeps gettin faster to where all i can do is shut the computer down with power button.i have sent an email to the author but in the meantime was wondering if anyone had suggestions?thanks for all your help

Visiting Guest

07-04-01, 07:16 AM   #24  
mikejmerritt
mrmojo, I just got a good download on the new version Spider v1.16. Just wanted to let you know the site seems to be OK. Have you tried version Spider v1.04? What is blinking? I would say keep at it and if no luck close all startup programs in msconfig except: a.ScanRegistry
b. SystemTray
c. LoadPowerProfile (Usually twice)
d. TaskMonitor
Try to install now to rule out program clashes.....Mike

07-04-01, 07:48 AM   #25  
mike,what is blinking is the window after you download,install now or something like that.i have the program in the computer but it does the same thing when the install window comes up even off line...will check as you said thanks

Search this Thread