Caviar 31000

Old 06-16-01, 10:19 PM
Hello All
I have a new old stock WDAC31000 Caviar 31000 AT compatible 1Gig 5400 RPM Hard drive. I would like to set it up as a slave to my 20 Gig 7200 RPM DMA 100 hard drive in my new box. The reason for the slave is to install Linux on the slave without having to partition my 20 GIG. Is this made in 1995 WDAC31000 hard drive trouble down the road? Is it a good idea to install a slave to install Linux? The Enlight mid tower 300 watt ATX AMD box, has an Abit KT7-A MB,AMD 750 AMD Athlon, 20Gig Caviar 7200 RPM DMA 100, I would like to learn the Linux OS for surfing and getting to know how this OS works. At this time I am using windows 98 SE with Frontpage 2001 and all the hardware and my 3 computer LAN set up and working well. Before I found my stashed 1 GIG 31000 I had planed on partisoning the 20 Gig. Thanks for your counsel, Marturo

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-01, 06:31 AM
I am not that familiar with the linux operating system but can tell you how to set your 1 gig up as a slave.

Your computer has 2 IDE controllers, a primary and a secondary. Each controllers can have a master and a slave device attached to it. Your 20 gig is being used as the main C drive and the C drive must be on the primary controller and set as a master. All other devices can be juggled around but the C must be primary/master.

I don't know if your cd rom is on the primary or secondary controllers.

If you look inside the computer and see if the cd rom is on the same IDE ribbon cable as the C drive then they are both on the primary IDE controller being master & slave.

It doesn't matter the combo, as long as only 1 master and only 1 slave is on each cable. You may have to buy a 2 device connector ribbon cable or a 2nd ribbon cable. The primary and secondary IDE conenctors at teh motherboard are usually located beside each other.

If you don't have an extra power cable then you will have to get a Y connector in order to get the attitional power connector for the 1 gig drive.

There is small jumpers on the back of most hard drives that by the position of these jumnpers will decide if the device is a master or a slave.

If you the 1 gig has been used in the past then the partition you be tehre, just format the 2nd drive if needed.

Now the access time to the 5400 rpm drive is not as fast as the 7200 drive, but it appears that the linux system will not be your primaqry system , only for learning it.

http://theref.aquascape.com/hard_dri...00_caviar.html

http://www.tccintl.com/wdjump.htm

http://wdc.intelenet.net/service/tip_dir/tip0497.html

These sites will give you info on the 1 gig drive.

Old 06-17-01, 10:06 AM
Caviar 31000

Hi dKerr

I am with you on the hookup. The 20 gig is on the primary with the middle connector on the IDE ribbon empty and a 4 pin power hook up near by. I set the 20gig up as cable select when I built it. Now I will set the 20 to master jumper and install the connector at the end of the primary ribbion and the 1gig in the middle connector of the primary IDE ribbon. Will windows recognize the new drive and assign it a drive letter? The only time I installed a 1gig slave was the ol Compaq that had 1 12 gig drive with a C & D assigned to it. However when I booted the rusult was a C D and E drive only instead of the slave being E drive it was D the Backup partition of the 12 gig drive. I had to take the slave out and format and Restore the Compaq to its origanal configuration. I do know that computer was emulation and what I built is seprate hardware for everything so maybe it will work as a slave and master. I was just wondering if I could install a different OS and toggle it between drives. Thanks dKerr, Marturo

Old 06-17-01, 08:52 PM
Question 1gig slave HD for Compaq ???

Hello dKerr
Thanks for your great help on the WD31000 everything worked out like a charm. The links you provided were very good and made the process a lot easier. I got to feeling so good about what I had done. I went back to the Compaq it has a WD 12.5gig 5.25" Hard Drive partitioned into C & D (D is the save for the factory image) So I hooked everything up it has a conner 1gig set for slave and the WD set for master both are on the primary IDE ribbon. I booted and windows built a new driver. This the part I don't understand the C drive is Master. The D drive is Slave. and the E drive is Factory Save. I thought they would be C & D would be master & Save and E drive would be the Slave. How can the Slave split the Hard Drive right down the Partition line? And then fit in between C drive and D drive both are on the same Hard drive. Should I try and remove the partition somehow? Compaqs restore Disk with Windows on it makes all the decisions for you when it comes to setting up your soft ware choices. One other quick question I got ahold of a Number Nine Computer Corporation Video Card ser#E609821 PCI not AGP. Does anyone know anything about this card? I would like to put it in the Compaq it, has only a chip set now with on board sound. Although it does have a free PCI slot just waiting for a video card. I have learned more in two days reading the different posts than all the manuals I have read. Keep up the good work I can see how hard you all work. Thanks for all the great help. Marturo

Old 06-18-01, 04:43 AM
BSB
The drive lettering scheme is sonething I too wish they would change. But, the first partition on each physical drive get the next drive letter, and then the second partition.

ex) drive 1, has 3 partitions, if only one physical drive you get drive letters C,D,& E, Then you put in Drive #2 it has 2 partitions, the first partition "takes" drive letter D. So what you end up with is #1 1st part C, #2 1st part D, #1 2nd part E, #2 2nd part F, #1 3rd part G, CDrom = H.

There is a program you can download called "letter assigner 1.1" from http://www.download.com that will allow you to "force" the partitions to have the drive letters of your choosing, but I am not sure how well it works. If you use it, let us know.

Brian.

p.s. I have never heard of the vid card you have, but so long as you turn off any onboard video the compaq may have and have the drivers for the card should work just fine.

Old 06-18-01, 07:45 AM
Smile

Hi Brian
I see what you mean. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but I see that those are the rules. Brian when you say to turn off the onboard video on the Compaq before installing the card. How is that done? Do I just remove the driver and install the new card Reboot and windows will discover the card first? Or is there another way of turning the onboard sound off? Thanks for explaining how the letters are asigned I feel a lot better knowing at least the set up will work as it should. I could go out and buy a video card to put into the Compaq. I got the other card out of a Dell with 5 ISA and 2 PCIs it is a 1995. Have you ever had a car that everytime you drove it you knew it was going to break down? That's how I feel about the Compaq so why waste good parts. I can't believe the Compaq is still going but my friend is using it as her first computer and I guess it's as good as any to learn on fo now. Thanks Brian I will check out download.com and read about there program on drive letter asignment. Marturo

Old 06-18-01, 08:25 AM
BSB
When you first boot up, and the memory is running its test, you should see a "hold <key> for setup, the last compaq I paid any attention to used the F2 key to enter setup. Some systems use the Del, F10, or alt+del keys to enter setup (bios, cmos)You will see a few selections you can access, I forget what compaq has, move your curser each selection and hit enter untill you see video and/or sound they should be "enabled" if you do not have expantion cards for sound and video. Disable the one you plan on using the card(s) for, save settings and exit. Install card(s) and reboot, add drivers when prompted. Beer in mind, er hand is better, that compaq is very very stingy about sharring its MOBO with other manufactures and some cards will not perform very well.
Compaq is proprietary which is great for corps because they can get all-in-one machines that are cheap (in their minds) with out the hassle of installing components. However most of use would like to upgrade our systems once in a while with out replacing the whole tower. And OS's tend to be a pain to upgrade with out the "CD" they porvide.

G'luck

Brian

Old 06-18-01, 06:34 PM
Smile

Hi Brian

I've got it now. Thanks. Yes you are right Brian it was the the emulated box that drove me nuts. I am more than qualified in reserch and building almost anything that's why the box that I built has all self chosen hardware and no emulation. Researching where we are now is where I started at, then I read all the reviews that were changing daily made my choices and built it. Even though it turned out very well. I am like the guy who built the racing car and didn't learn to drive the stock car. So I have a lot to learn like what (and this will be the hardest part) people have learned coming up through the 386/AT/ATX. I really want you to know that I realy like your teaching methods. I hope someday to be informed enough to help others. I have found my WWW Enterprize and I long to go where few have gone before. Thank you All, Marturo

Old 06-19-01, 04:21 AM
BSB
I was watching Tech TV last night, and I guess there is a way to make your IDE-0 drive (that has more then one partition) drives C,D,..... Dos/Win95/98 require primary partitions, Fdisk is unable to give you more then 1 primary per physical drive. (Win2K will allow you to just remap the drive letters to the drive you wish it to be on) PQ partition magic is supposed to give you the ability to partition your drives into multiple primary partitions.

Will have to look into this.
will post if I find it to be true.

Brian