Cbs

Old 12-16-20, 08:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
Cbs

Ok,I am usually pretty good on computers, but this has me stumped. Up until about a week ago, I could watch CBS all access with no problems. Now nothing will stream on it. I am running W7. CBS says that is not a problem. I can still access and stream, Netflix, tubi, Peacock, Hulu etc. with no problem. I reset my modem. Rebooted my computer, signed out and back into CBS. My wife is running 8.1 and she has no problem streaming all access. I have tried google chrome, firefox and opera. Does the same. The site will come up. It is all normal until I click on "watch"and then it just thinks. I even tried "system restore" back to when it worked. Contacted CBS and their techs have no idea. i am lost.

Popular Reply

12-17-20, 09:25 AM
Shadeladie
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
Win10 has improved much since it was first released. Honestly, I don't find it any different than 7 or 8 at this point. You pretty much get used to it really fast. I would try upgrading again and see if you don't like it better now.

Old 12-16-20, 08:46 PM
J
Received 295 Votes on 254 Posts
Antivirus?
Firewall?
Try turning them off and see what happens.

Old 12-16-20, 08:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 12 Posts
Win7 is unsupported by Microsoft and 3rd party software developers are following suit. Phone reps aren't always truly knowledgeable. Time to upgrade that PC to Win10. It's easy and free and you'll have supported security again.

Old 12-16-20, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had W10, it is terrible. Never again

Old 12-17-20, 05:44 AM
Received 289 Votes on 259 Posts
What about Win 10 that you don't like?

Old 12-17-20, 07:59 AM
H
Received 137 Votes on 119 Posts
My guesses
A) their website has updated the encryption / authentication requirements.
B) your web browser needs an update.
C) Perhaps Win7 relied on flash protocols, which ended December 2020?

Load the site, click the lock in the address bar for "View Site Information" on both the Win7 and Win8.1 computers, copy and paste the information into a text document, and look for differences.

Old 12-17-20, 08:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Running the latest Chrome and Firefox. Info on both is the same. That one of the things the CBS techs checked.

Old 12-17-20, 08:43 AM
Z
Received 33 Votes on 32 Posts
Could they have turned off streaming access because they erroneously think your subscription ran out (if there is a subscription)? In other words, they think you are no longer entitled to stream.

I would think the technical people would have thought of that right away, if that were the case – but who knows.

Old 12-17-20, 09:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They have a free trial right now that even allows current subscribers to do the month for free. I even tried setting up another account under "sam floor" with the email I use for that and a different card and still no-go.

Old 12-17-20, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Win10 has improved much since it was first released. Honestly, I don't find it any different than 7 or 8 at this point. You pretty much get used to it really fast. I would try upgrading again and see if you don't like it better now.

Hal_S, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 12-17-20, 10:15 AM
J
Received 295 Votes on 254 Posts
How about the video drivers or players. Perhaps out date?

Old 12-17-20, 10:56 AM
Z
Received 33 Votes on 32 Posts
Sam -

I think this is a long shot but maybe Event Viewer would provide a little light.

You could look at the Event Logs before and after an attempt at streaming and see if any new events show up. Those are more for the programmers but it’s possible and Event could be “clear enough” to point you in the right direction.

To access the Event Viewer: Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools. Double-click Event Viewer.--> Windows Logs

(there are some “Applications and Service Logs” there also that might possibly help)

Old 01-02-21, 08:54 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The CBS streaming help has some tips for you to try. You seem to have reached out to them already so I believe they probably had you do most or all of this, but take a gander and see if they missed something - https://help.cbs.com/s/article/How-c...s-on-my-device

Can you access the streaming service from any other computer or your mobile phone using their app for that device while on the same home network that this computer is on? If not then its likely something blocking on the router.

I'm not a big fan of Win10 either, but it's the current industry standard until Win10xx1010xx comes along so the suggestions to upgrade are inevitable (Microsoft loves their 10s and Xs!). Win7 was a great OS, but now it's no longer their cash cow and a security risk for those that still use it.

It is possible they are doing something dirty with User Agent sniffing and detecting you're using a non-supported Operating System even though they state support for Win7 is still available from the CBS streaming service - https://help.cbs.com/s/article/What-...CBS-All-Access. You may want to try using a User Agent switcher add-on/extension to your browser and see if that gets you back working. I had to do this with TurboTax some years ago when they were blocking Linux users for no known good reason - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...tcher-revived/

The product seems to be sensitive to ad-blockers so pay close attention to that. If you're using VPN services or DNS protection from providers like OpenDNS be sure to make exceptions or temporarily disable during testing. I use AdGuard which has a ton of network override settings to block protocols or change data that my browser passes along. It has caused trouble with various websites from time to time. You can see some information that a visiting website can see about you using this service - https://ipleak.net/

Do you get any errors from their service? I doubt this could be it, but check your system clock to be accurate and enable NTP services if not already on - https://superuser.com/questions/1617...s-in-windows-7

Old 01-10-21, 11:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
CBS finally admitted that have screwed up something and can't figure out how to fix it. Thousands of customers can no longer access it but are still getting charged, They did some stuff on Dec, 8th that caused the problem. They are supposedly still working on it. here is talk of a class action lawsuit for the money they have taken from customers that can no longer stream the site. So far, they have refused to reimburse customers.

Old 01-10-21, 11:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as W 10, I like desktop icons as shortcuts. Until they figure out a way to do that with W10, no thanks.

Old 01-11-21, 06:10 AM
I like desktop icons as shortcuts
I don't understand. All my desktop icon are in fact shortcuts. In fact that is the only thing they can be. There are two ways to access a program. Search for the *.EXE file in the programs directory or use a desktop shortcut.

Old 01-11-21, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
As far as W 10, I like desktop icons as shortcuts
Mine are all shortcuts. My desktop looks exactly the same as W7. Like I said above, there have been many changes made since day one.

Old 01-12-21, 06:07 PM
Received 13 Votes on 12 Posts
All my desktop icon are in fact shortcuts. In fact that is the only thing they can be.
Desktop icons can be anything. The desktop is a special folder but, like any folder, it can hold files of any type.

My desktop looks exactly the same as W7.
Mine too. The taskbar at the bottom of the screen is a little different from Win7, but converting a 10-year-old PC from Win7 to Win10 left my desktop icons intact. And I think it improved performance a little.

I thought I was the last Win7 holdout. Guess I was second-to-last. Come over to the dark side, it's not bad at all.

Old 01-12-21, 07:59 PM
H
Received 137 Votes on 119 Posts
converting a 10-year-old PC from Win7 to Win10 left my desktop icons intact. And I think it improved performance a little.
Windows-10 works great on older computers, IF the processor chips support 64 bit commands. Just add memory and a SSD hard drive. I've got a Dell computer that is old enough to get a driver's license, that runs beautifully under Windows 10; for simple web browsing and letter writing, it responds just as quickly as my nephew's 32 GB gaming computer. The big issue is removing auto-installed "bloatware." Without all the "add ons & updaters running in the background. Windows 10 64 bit idles at 4% CPU usage on a Pentium D.

Old 01-19-21, 08:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
CBS says they are still working on it but can't figure out how to fix it. It affected thousands of subscribers.

Old Yesterday, 06:05 AM
Time marches on, update to WIN 10 and avoid the hassle.
Sam, I can't help but compare this to the ending of FLASH. Thousands of IP cameras are useless (including mine) because browsers no longer support Flash. I didn't like it, but I bought new cams and they work better than the old ones. Who knew?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: