locked laptop

Old 12-18-20, 05:28 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
locked laptop

One of my friend give me one laptop, which was working laptop in engineering department and when he left old company 1.5 years ago, the company IT told him that this type laptops in the company would be replaced/upgraded and he did not need to return and could keep the laptop if he wanted. My friend told me that he couldn't run/open after two days since he left the company. I think that the company may cut operating system in the laptop by networking management. Any thoughts or suggestion to let this laptop survive, because I knew this laptop was more powerful than my personnel laptop.

Old 12-18-20, 06:03 PM
J
Received 326 Votes on 281 Posts
Clean install of a new operating system.

SoCally voted this post useful.
Old 12-18-20, 06:06 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 196 Votes on 176 Posts
The computer is probably running full disk encryption, which means without a password, the data on the hard drive is unusable. The good news though is that since you don't need any of that data, you should be able to start from scratch and install Windows (or your OS or choice) on the computer using a CD or USB boot disk.

You may need a new Windows license, as the one that came with the computer is probably unusable. Or you can pick an open source OS like Chrome OS, Ubuntu, or another linux variant.

It's possible the computer is locked via the BIOS, which would make it more complicated, but IMO, that's unlikely.

Old 12-19-20, 08:00 PM
W
it means I just insert OS disk in and laptop will automatic run (don't need password or others)? Is it possible the laptop is locked by remote control?
To make sure, may I use a very old version Window OS to try, if it works, then I go to buy a new one?

Old 12-19-20, 08:13 PM
J
The laptop may have been locked remotely but once you install a new OS the program that phones home will be gone so they not have access to lock it again.

Exactly what do you see when you fire it up?

Old 12-19-20, 08:31 PM
H
Received 161 Votes on 142 Posts
My suggestions is to create a boot/rescue USB stick using the free version of Macrium Reflect.
See if the computer has a legible Windows 7 license, then try the free upgrade using that license number.

Old 12-22-20, 06:03 PM
W
The original laptop OS is window 7 enterprise.
I try to log in to clean with known ID and password, but it does not work anymore, window can not open,
I do have CD of Window 98 and Window XP pro in handy with the key. Because no any data I want, so I try to reboot machine to load such OS (I want try use old window version to make sure it works, then I could to purchase new one), but failed.
The detail is as below: (1) Insert OS disk into cd driver; (2) Turn off laptop; (3) Turn ON laptop; (4) I did not see any reboot screen; (5) Window show below massage: " Warning Message for System Access: .....the system is restricted to authorized user.....All software, data ...may be monitored without notice to the user...",below there is an "OK" button, I try to click "OK", but screen is frozen, nothing happened. If I removed OS disc, turn OFF and ON, I could click OK under "Warning massage", then screen bring me go to log in screen. But ID and password did not work. (It means the user is kicked off from the system.)
Did I do some wrong? What is right procedures to set new OS?
I

Last edited by wen831; 12-22-20 at 06:14 PM. Reason: complete
Old 12-22-20, 07:06 PM
H
Sounds like the computer is locked down and only booting from the hard drive.
Generally during the boot sequence, you have a prompt to "enter setup" or "choose boot device".

If I were you, first I'd get into setup, and write down or take smartphone pictures of all the information on the setup screens. Then check and make sure the text in the pictures is legible.
Also, check around for a Windows 7 product key, sometime it's on the inside of the battery compartment or on the bottom of the laptop. You'll want this key because then you should be able to upgrade to Windows10 for free.
Once you've gone through "setup" and gotten all the information, then you need to look around to find out how to change the boot device / boot order to boot from DVD or USB

I would highly suggest booting with Macrium and making a complete backup disk image of the laptop hard drive, saved to a USB hard drive. That way you can easily go back to "at least it boots" under Win7 if the laptop's security messes up installing a new OS.

Old 12-22-20, 08:29 PM
J
Pull the HD.
Connect to other PC.
Format drive.

or
You should be able to get into the bios and select a boot device including USB.
If the bios has been locked out, post make and model. There is probably a way to do a master reset of the bios to allow you access.

Old 12-23-20, 06:17 PM
W
I did below procedures:
1). insert OS disc into CD drive, 2). Turn OFF power; 3). Turn ON power.
Now, Setup screen comes out, and shows several options, such as 1) System Information,2) System Diagnosis; 3) Initiate Intel CIRA; 4) Enter Intel ME setup, 5) HP spare Key, 6) Boot Device Options, 7) BIOS Setup 8) Network Boot, or 9) click "Enter" - Continue Startup
Which option I should choose?
Thanks

Below picture 1 is Setup Screen:

Below is picture 2, it shows after (A) click "Bios Setup" from Setup Screen, (B) then click "System Configuration" tab.
Above picture 3 shows what are after click "Boot Option" in Bios Setup - System Configuration screen.

What is the next? Do I need go to "Boot Device Options" in setup screen at the first?

Note: Picture sequence is Picture 1, Picture 3 and Picture 2, From top to bottom. Little confuse. Sorry.

Thanks and Happy Holiday

Last edited by wen831; 12-23-20 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-23-20, 08:16 PM
J
F9 boot device options. Uncheck everything but CD. Restart with CD in drive.

Old 12-24-20, 02:26 AM
H
Actually, I'd go with
First, F2 System Diagnostics, for memory and for the hard drive.
Second would be F10 BIOS. See if there are any "remote security" options that you can un-check. Once you're up and running, go back and enable options like speedstep hyperthreading, execute disabled, multiprocessor support,
Third, as above, uncheck everything except the drive you want to boot from; CD Rom boot. (I always prefer a bootable USB to CD, but start with what you've got...)

Tangent- having the "SD card boot" IS a really nice option for "dual booting" for a REALLY light operating system like Chromium or Neverware's Cloudready. By adding a 64GB SD card, you can have the same computer run Windows 10 with all features (a little slow on old hardware) OR you can boot to a de-facto Chromebook which is essentially a turbocharged clone of your android cellphone, with big screen and keyboard.

Old 02-06-21, 05:53 PM
W
How can I get Setup screen, to reboot and download new OP in my case?
At first, I turned ON laptop, clicked ESC key, "Set up window" showed, then I select RW CD/USB to input, the reboot OS is Macrium window 10 upgrade with USB, reboot window shows "Update Window 7" (can not change), hit enter, nothing happens. I changed OS to XP with CD to reboot again, same thing happen as before. After several tries, now I Turn ON laptop, click ESC key, no Set UP screen shows any more, always show Log In window directly. What I should do?

Thanks

Last edited by wen831; 02-06-21 at 06:31 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: