Inquiry from TV-Stereo Forum

Old 06-18-01, 07:32 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, DoItYourselfers:

There's a question lurking on the Small Appliances-TV and
Stereo forum that is better served by this community. Here is the question:

I use a free-to-air digital satellite receiver and have recorded music tracks from various free digital radio broadcasters onto VHS video tape. What I would like to do is copy these music trackcs onto my PC, convert them into MP3 files and enjoy them ! Can anyone suggest a way of going about this ? ( The MP3 part I can handle myself ) I use a Creative Labs 1024 Player Value sound card in my PC.

Thanks 808

If anyone has a good answer, please help this person. I do pretty well with computers but haven't dabbled in this field yet.

Smokey

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-01, 08:33 AM
BSB
Get a TV in vid card and SB Live! or line in sound card, then you can play into your pc and record and x-form right there. You may need to put a reciever in between the two.

Brian

Old 06-18-01, 08:34 AM
Bazooka227
Visiting Guest
Plug the VCR's line out into the sound card's line in (most likely w/ a RCA - mini stereo plug - looks like a y adapter). There should be some software bundled w/ the sound card to record that to at least a wav file, or perhaps the mp3 software can do the recording straight to mp3.

Not sure what the sound quality will be like since the source is a VHS. Is the VCR at least stereo?

Old 06-18-01, 10:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks...

...I wasn't sure which forum to post this question in
Problem one. VCR does not have any AV sockets only a single scart socket. A scart lead goes from this socket into a DVD player and both its audio output and that of the VCR (mono) goes through a Harman/Kardon AV 100 amp. I know the sound quality is not going to be much good after recording onto the computer but with the help of some audio restoration shareware I think I can tweak it a bit and I'll use Ejay MP3 Pro to convert the .wav files into MP3 files...but I still need to go from my amp to the computer sound card. Thanks for your help so far. 808

Old 06-18-01, 10:39 AM
BSB
You could get real "techinical" and put the computer mic next to the tv speaker. that should give you near perfect sound quality. hehe

Brian

Old 06-18-01, 11:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink Near perfect....

...complete with a buzz in the background...thanks but it's sorted.
I removed the audio phono leads from the Harmon, connected these to a phono-3.5mm jack plug lead, plugged that into the Line Input socket in the sound card and Hey Presto I can now get the tracks onto the PC !

Thanks for your replies and humor. 808

Old 06-20-01, 01:25 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Simple, get an SCART to RCA adapter.

Old 06-20-01, 01:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up What a great forum this is...

That is a really good idea !

Thanks, I'll do that.

Clive