How to uninstall a program that doesn't show on app list in settings?

Old 12-28-20, 03:13 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to uninstall a program that doesn't show on app list in settings?

I have photo editing program on my computer that won't start up. I see the files in explorer and was going to uninstall it and reinstall but when I go to settings for add or remove programs it is not on the app list. I tried to just delete the files but it won't let me. Say " you will need to provide administrator permissions to delete this folder".

I tried just putting in the disc to reinstall and its say that the program is already running. But it is not.

I am baffled at this point. There has got to be a way to delete this program so I can reinstall

The program is MGI PhotoSuite III SE

Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 12-28-20, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,407 Votes on 1,302 Posts
Try following the uninstall link...... Uninstalling NCH software

Old 12-28-20, 04:48 PM
K
Ok, will give that a try. I have been reading to try and figure it out but still no luck. I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
in the Registry Editor but couldn't find it listed there either.

Will check out your suggestion. Thanks

Old 12-28-20, 04:56 PM
Received 317 Votes on 284 Posts
You should install a program uninstaller such as REVO uninstaller or similar. They can catch things that native Windows can't. And it will clean up any registry items also. Plus it makes a restore point in case of problems.

Old 12-28-20, 05:02 PM
K
PJmax, I looked at what you sent and that looks like what I tried from the very start. That is how I usually remove programs. Problem is, when I do that, this program is not on the app list.

Old 12-28-20, 07:17 PM
S
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Today I used iObit to de-install Norton anti-virus. I never heard of it until recently - it was recommended since Norton is supposedly installed in many different areas and Windows Control Panel doesn't remove all of it, where iObit does. Maybe that'll find what needs to be removed.

Once it was removed I still had to manually remove some tasks then 2 Norton folders in Task Scheduler.

Old 12-30-20, 06:28 AM
K
SteveK66,

Well I installed the iObit uninstaller but the program doesn't show up on it's list of programs to uninstall either. So I am back to square one. Files are there on the hard drive but can't figure out how to remove

thanks for the suggestion though

Old 12-30-20, 06:46 AM
K
I did find a place in iObit where I could browse which program I wanted to remove. So when I went to the .exe file of that program and chose it, iObit says can't uninstall because that file is running. It says I need to stop the program to uninstall. My computer doesn't show that it is running. How do I stop it when I can't see that it is running? What should I try next?

Old 12-30-20, 06:57 AM
K
Looks like I finally figured it out.

Had to go into task manager, then under process tab looked at backround processes and found it. right clicked on it and was able to us iObit to remove program.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-30-20, 08:33 AM
H
Received 149 Votes on 130 Posts
Quick follow up to the OP's question.
In Windows 10 sometimes you need "elevated" task-manager. To start it without changing to the admin account, hit the "win" key then typing T A S K which will bring up options including "run task manager as administrator". Once you're got an elevated task manager, you can stop most programs, AND iirc, you'll see a full list of running programs.

While you've got that elevated command prompt, double check the "start up" tabs to make sure you haven't accumulated any bloatware from updates and installations.

I would also suggest "CCleaner" for doing registry cleanups.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: