HP Laserjet CP1215 black cartridge fading on one side

Old 01-14-21, 03:11 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HP Laserjet CP1215 black cartridge fading on one side

I recently refilled this cartridge so I know how to get in there but I don't know how it works and what I might need to clean or do whatever to get it working right again if it's possible. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 01-14-21, 06:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 782 Votes on 719 Posts
You refilled your own laser cartridge? Try tilting the cartridge to one end and tapping on it, then repeat in the other direction. If that doesn't do it I'd get a new cartridge. There are other things you can do inside the printer like cleaning the corona wires and maybe the paper transport belt but if dirty they wouldn't make one side not print

Old 01-14-21, 07:01 AM
A
Received 113 Votes on 104 Posts
Hold the cartridge level (horizontal) and shake it back and forth end to end horizontally a few times, first quite vigorously then moderately gently..

Old 01-16-21, 04:41 AM
J
It's specific to the black cartridge. In hoping to learn tricks if possible fix these cartridges. I have no idea how they work. Gonna watch up on some YouTube vids...

Old 01-16-21, 04:54 AM
J

This basically sums up my issues. The Magenta specs have returned. I think that's due to my messiness refilling it. Apparently I didn't clean it up enough.

And yes I did shake it up a few times and nothing changed

Old 01-23-21, 01:59 PM
J

So I took it apart and collected all the toner in a jar. What part here do I need to clean or kick or what to get the left side to not fade?

Old 01-26-21, 05:14 PM
J
well I'll just update this thread: I took apart the cartridge and cleaned up all the parts with no success. I then swapped the drums between this cartridge and the blue one. No difference. I then swapped the cartridges themselves in their seats. It worked on the left side, albeit blue/cyan. So some other part in there is responsible for the left side fading. Anyone have a clue? I've actually watched a couple educational vids on how these things work and they went over my head. Magnetism and electricity. So is there a chip in there holding data about charging up magnetism on the left side no producing the right data for the left side or something? Obviously the a $13 cartridge from China is not a bad option but I'm just curious if maybe I just gotta dip the left end of one these parts in vinegar and viola!. Yeah? No? Maybe so?

Old 01-26-21, 05:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
My first advice would be to buy a OEM branded, new cartridge and give that a try. It will isolate the problem to the cartridge or something else in the printer.

There are a lot of parts in a laser printer. Your problem may not totally be in the toner cartridge. I know from my printers that there are a lot of other things that can cause problems and unfortunately most of these parts need replacement not a cleaning.

Last year I had to replace the drum cartridge which is what actually takes the toner from the toner cartridge and puts it on the paper. Then last month I had to replace the conveyor belt module which is what transports and applies a charge to the paper. Each of these, like a toner cartridge, has a fair bit going on inside.

Old 01-26-21, 06:53 PM
J
I was able to print correctly using the cyan cartridge in place of the black tho. So I think that narrows it down to the cartridge. Right? Some part in there on the left side isn't doing right. I just wish in the end I get to find out what the part is that's faulty. That's the one thing I don't like about DIY'ing, all the unsolved mysteries.

Old 01-26-21, 07:22 PM
A
Received 113 Votes on 104 Posts
I then swapped the drums between this cartridge and the blue one. No difference. I then swapped the cartridges themselves in their seats. It worked on the left side, albeit blue/cyan.

Could you describe what you did and the results you got in more detail, Actually much more detail?

Old 01-26-21, 07:26 PM
J
" well I'll just update this thread: I took apart the cartridge and cleaned up all the parts with no success.

I then swapped the drums between this cartridge and the blue one. No difference.

I then swapped the cartridges themselves in their seats. It worked on the left side, albeit blue/cyan. So some other part in there is responsible for the left side fading.

Anyone have a clue? I've actually watched a couple educational vids on how these things work and they went over my head. Magnetism and electricity. So is there a chip in there holding data about charging up magnetism on the left side no producing the right data for the left side or something?

Obviously the a $13 cartridge from China is not a bad option but I'm just curious if maybe I just gotta dip the left end of one these parts in vinegar and viola!. Yeah? No? Maybe so?
"

Old 01-27-21, 06:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
I don't know of anything in a toner cartridge that is left or right. You can see there are electrical connections to the cartridge but they are for applying a charge across the whole thing. I would be looking for a mechanical problem. Maybe the pickup roller is scratched. Maybe the tolerances are off and there isn't enough clearance between the pickup roller and reservoir causing it to scrape the toner off the roller. None of these are "repairable" pieces and need to be replaced. Still, it's fun to take the stuff apart to see how it works.

juntjoo voted this post useful.
Old 01-27-21, 08:26 AM
J
Yes it is fun and you gave me some ideas. I'll play with it some more and see if I can come up with something

Old 01-27-21, 09:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
I especially liked taking the conveyor cartridge apart. At first I thought it just mechanically transported the paper but when I felt how heavy it was and saw the multiple electrical contacts I knew it had to be more. The belt was a conductive plastic sheet. Then about every 3" there was a toothed metal bar running across underneath the belt. Those bars were connected to each electrical contact on the outside of the cartridge. I assume they apply an opposite charge (than the toner) to the paper to make the toner stick on it's way to the fuser.

Old 01-27-21, 10:52 AM
J
Are you talking about a part WITHIN the cartridge? Mind you I'm still almost totally ignorant of these things. Still have yet to watch a few good videos on laser printers.

The two rods, one is just mechanical and one magnetic? I wonder of one of them of the left side ... I can keep experimenting with this. Later on I'll start swapping out parts one by one till I find it. I should be able to figure this out. Will report back later...

Old 01-27-21, 04:36 PM
P
Group Moderator
I was describing things inside the conveyor cartridge. What I thought would be a simple conveyor to move the paper does a lot more.

Nothing in the printer is magnetic. It works electrostatically so except for moving things mechanically the toner is moved around by high voltage. One charge is applied to the toner and an opposite charge to the paper which causes the toner to jump to the paper and "stick" until it goes through the fuser roller which is heated and melts the toner to the paper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: