Can I text on my pc via a cell phone?

Old 01-14-21, 07:01 AM
K
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can I text on my pc via a cell phone?

I have an almost new PC. I know that my cell phone communicates with my cell phone (it's synched) so I can record calendar events and such on both my PC and Cell.
But my Son prefers to send texts vs. a phone call or email.
Can I text from a PC with a synched cell phone using some sort of program or app??

Old 01-14-21, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
I'm not really sure if that's possible, however, I just checked syncing capabilities on my laptop using Firefox and you are able to connect a device, such as a mobile phone, via a scan. I'm guessing your phone needs to have internet access to do this. Does your cell have internet access so you can download Firefox? If you have an old flip phone, I'm guessing that you won't be able to text from your pc.

Old 01-14-21, 07:23 AM
K
My phone is only 2 years old and i have internet access.

Old 01-14-21, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Can I ask why you aren't able to text from your phone? Sounds like you should be able to.

Old 01-14-21, 07:28 AM
K
I can of course. But I am older and the small screen is not my idea of fun. And using my voice to dictate is not all that great and I hate typing on the small screen.

Old 01-14-21, 07:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
The exact instructions would depend on his cell carrier. If it is Verizon:

You can send a message to any Verizon mobile number from your email:
  • Compose a message as if you were sending a standard email. ...
  • In the To field, enter the 10-digit mobile number of the recipient followed by @vtext.com (e.g., 9495551212@vtext.com). ...
  • Send the message.

Old 01-14-21, 07:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Search for "text by computer". Many sights will tell you how to do it. This site describes five methods. When traveling internationally I most often use my US cell phone's website though I have also used a 3rd party website. You have so many options you'll probably just have to look through your choices to find the one that works best/easiest for you.

Old 01-14-21, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
So I just found something useful and sounds like the easiest solution. I'm assuming you have Win10 so search for the "Your Phone" app and you can set up texting to and from your pc using that.

ETA, you should also consider getting new glasses. It's amazing what they can do. I have a small screen on my phone also and have no problems seeing on it.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 01-14-21 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-14-21, 11:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
"ETA, you should also consider getting new glasses. It's amazing what they can do. I have a small screen on my phone also and have no problems seeing on it."

I too am fighting that battle with tiny print. Progressive lenses, while expensive, work much better than lined bifocals for me. Also, later versions of Android have a setting where you can change the default font size of the phone. It's in the "tools" menu, select "display", then click on advanced at the bottom and you'll then see the option to select "font size" and "display size".

Old 01-14-21, 11:48 AM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
An android phone lets you sign in to the google account registered to the phone, on the web at
https://voice.google.com/u/0/messages
Make calls using microphone & speakers, check voice messages and send text messages.

FYI, the phone number is an annoying phone scammer, I re-dialed them until I overloaded and crashed their answering system.

Old 01-14-21, 11:50 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
You can send a text to most cell phones. Go to the cell company site and search. Some of them have a web page where you put int he phone number and the message and hit send. Some of them will give you the email format to send it usually something like phone#@companytxt.com.
If you don't know the provider there are site where you can type in the phone number and get the info.

Old 01-14-21, 11:52 AM
Received 54 Upvotes on 47 Posts
You can get a Bluetooth keyboard and pair it with your phone. That solves the typing problem but not the squinting problem.

Old 01-14-21, 12:26 PM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
You can get a Bluetooth keyboard and pair it with your phone. That solves the typing problem but not the squinting problem
I've repurposed old android 4.2 smart phones into "pseudo computers" by adding Bluetooth keyboard & mouse, and a OTG adapter to put the video on a HD tv screen

Most android phones newer than 4.2 can use MiraCast to send their picture to a smart TV, OR work with OTG (On The Go) adapters that output the phone screen to 1080p HDMI onto a monitor or newer TV.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: