not enough outlets

Old 01-24-21, 04:29 PM
P
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
not enough outlets

I live in a building with many residents.
The only place for my pc set up is awkward. The phone jack is on the other side so I ran phone lines around the room and it works good with my phone and fax. The surge suppressors are 118 VAC at each outlet.
The pc desk is near a receptacle one running off a stand up lamp. There is another receptacle on another wall I can reach with either a 14G or 12 G extension cord. I assume a regular extension is 12 Gg.
With this limited amount of receptacles and jacks I have many plugs I need.
I have a lamp a printer, a gateway, pc, speaker plug,-there are about 8 in all.
I can either use a surge suppressor or run an extension cord from an adjacent wall to another surge suppressor
It is best to run a gateway to the wall but it works well off the surge suppressor.

I know this is confusing but I have a limited amount of receptacles and jacks to rum a lot of thing I cannot do without.
Right now I have a surge suppressor in the wall near the lamp switch I run 5 of things off of. The lamp takes the other outlet as the wall switch controls it.
I have another surge suppressor that goes to the first suppressor which runs my desk light..
Can you suggest the best and safest way this can be done?
Speed tests with a new gateway run 100Mbps to 450 Mbps.

Old 01-24-21, 04:42 PM
C
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I have most of my hardware plugged into a cyberpower ups and have the rest plugged into a surge protector plugged into and outlet in the ups. I have a printer, 3 monitors, speakers, a wired unmanaged switch plus the pc all plugged into it.

Old 01-24-21, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 629 Likes on 538 Posts
If you are not having issues overloading the circuit(s) and just need more places to plug into then I would recommend just getting a larger power strip/surge suppressor. Here is an example with 12 outlets: https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BE1122.../dp/B000J2EN4S

Here's one that has 16 outlets: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...ag=googhydr-20

Old 01-25-21, 06:37 AM
P
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I appreciate your help. I am going to use 4 accessories off one power strip and the rest off another. I am upgrading the power strips or surge suppressors. The second surge suppressors will run from a 14G extension cord off another wall 8 ft. away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: