Numerous Ads and Pop-ups pestering Windows 7

Old 03-06-21, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Numerous Ads and Pop-ups pestering Windows 7

Hello:
For the past few months, the PC has been bombarded with a ton of ads and numerous pop-ups after opening up Windows that stays until click to close Windows.

I installed Malwarebyte plus, Avasta Plus and several AdBlockers, however
more, more annoying and numerous ads and pop-ups have been pestering day and nites.

Is that some sort of 'Virus?' If that's the case, what program should
I install to get rid of them?

Thanks for any suggestions and advice in advance.

Old 03-06-21, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
That’s probably because Microsoft no longer supports Win7. You really need to upgrade to Win10.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 03-06-21, 02:02 PM
Yes, I know, ... but is there a program which prevents those pesky ads and pop-ups from coming to the screen
whenever opening up Windows 7 which I honestly love, although the other PC has win 10.

Old 03-06-21, 02:26 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Is this occurring in a browser or does it occur just after starting up your PC, i.e when you have started no additional programs? Do the popups bring up a browser window?

Old 03-06-21, 02:57 PM
Starting up the PC, appears not Google Chrome with Win 7.

I'm no way to be one of those PC geeks, .... but seems like 'PC got infected' which I am not able to pinpoint.
I never opened any unfamiliar and strange e-mails, however I MIGHT have unwittingly access
the web-site which caused the PC infected. Do I need to 'total clean-up' or even 'factory state.'

Any clues on this would be great. Thanks,

Old 03-07-21, 08:17 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Starting up the PC, appears not Google Chrome with Win 7
Not sure how to read this, but I assume it means you "use Chrome however the popups occur just after starting up the PC and before the browser is launched".

If the previous is accurate, then it sounds like somewhere you have acquired some type of malware. I'm surprised Malwarebyte hasn't found it. An adblocker installed in your browser will have no affect on this type of infection now that it is installed. How you acquired it is not important at this point as you need to get rid of it first.

Diagnosing a computer and fixing it via a forum is fraught with difficulty, however you might try the following, start your computer in safe mode with networking (press F8 repeatedly during the bootup, you should see the option in the menu that comes up). Then run the deep scan function of Malwarebyte to see if finds anything.

Old 03-07-21, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the response.
Ads and Pop-ups started up AFTER I lost a job and began to search similar and decent job for awhile. In my guess, some job-web-sites have unintentionally and unknowingly 'virus.' Luckily, I got an ideal job, but on the otherhand, I feel 'paid the price.'

I installed 'Malwarebyte Privacy' last nite. There are still annoying ads popping up here and there, but it definitely started to reduces its numbers.

Hopefully, Malwarebytes privacy keeps working to eliminate those ads and pop-ups.

Old 03-07-21, 10:58 AM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by PineCone
I installed Malwarebyte plus, Avasta Plus and several AdBlockers
"When something on your plane breaks, the first thing you do is wind your watch" - The Red Baron

The first thing you want to do when a machine goes haywire - is nothing.
Shut it down, give yourself a bit of time to investigate and evaluate what is going on.
Adding on multiple "Ad Blockers" is a recipe for trouble. In my experience, many of them are simply "bloatware" or "adware" that simply replace one set of pop-up ads with another.

First, I'd suggest using a known "good" computer to create a bootable virus scanning disk.
Then you boot from that disk, run the virus checkers, and see what is going on.
Help protect my PC with Microsoft Defender Offline

15 Best Free Bootable Antivirus Tools (March 2021) (lifewire.com)

Second, after the scans, reboot and hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and then look at what processes are running, kill all processes that are "updates" or ad blockers, or which are running from a non- C:\Windows directory.

Third, I'd re-boot again into "safe mode" and then un-install all the add blockers and any other program that you don't specifically recall installing.

Fourth, there are still ways to upgrade from Win7 to Win10 for free. It's worth the time for the extra security, and it's especially easy if the PC can be upgraded to hold more RAM, use a faster processor, or run 64 bit OS versus 32 bit OS.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: