Photos upload sideways!

Old 03-08-21, 01:26 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Photos upload sideways!

Hi, everyone!
Seems like no matter what I do or how I edit, photos I upload to a certain site from my Macbook Air have a "mind of their own" and usually rotate sideways! Once in a while they won't but mostly they do! I've tried all manner I can think of to have them load right but it fails! Anyone have a solution?

Old 03-08-21, 01:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
It's something with your photos. You didn't provide any details other than that you use a Mac so I can't help with specifics. I would confirm that you are saving the image after you change the orientation. Also make sure you are not stripping off the metadata/exif or have it's use blocked.

Old 03-08-21, 02:26 PM
M
I have no idea what you are speaking of! The photos are loaded to the Mac from my phone and are oriented properly, but when I upload them to the site from the Mac, they end up sideways usually! If they don't upload right, I take them off & edit them to try & get them to show up right when I upload them again! These are printed receipts that I'm uploading and some do load the proper way, but many, usually the larger will turn sideways!

Old 03-08-21, 04:17 PM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
I'm not sure but I think it's the orientation of the camera when you take them. Experiment a little. I believe the normal position of the phone should be vertical when taking a picture. Try it, then take the same photo with the phone horizontal. Compare the two after loading to computer.

Old 03-08-21, 04:43 PM
J
Received 326 Votes on 281 Posts
The picture orientation is stored in the meta data of the picture. Some software does not read the data and shows the picture in its true orientation.

Explanation

https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why...ectly-rotated/

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 03-08-21, 05:08 PM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
JOED, excellent article. ____________________

Old 03-08-21, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
Photos upload sideways!
Are you talking about posting pictures here ?
If yes..... they are usually too big.

Pictures several megs large will not usually post correctly.
The last pic you posted here was almost a year ago. Nothing recent.
I fixed those boiler ones for you.

The board uses real time editing now. So if you make a post and your picture is not oriented correctly.... go to the "Go Advanced" editor. You can right click on your picture and delete it. Then just reload it. You have approx 15 minutes to correct your thread.

Old 03-09-21, 06:02 AM
M
Hi,
I'm not talking about this site! I take a pic with my iphone and it goes to the imac and shows up on the computer just the way I took it, but when I upload to the site, most of the time the picture will rotate! I can rotate it on the camera & the computer, but I can't outguess which way it's going to show up when I upload it to send it! I want to know why it rotates on its own!

Old 03-09-21, 09:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
Check the privacy settings on your computer for photos. There may be a setting removing photo metadata. I've never looked for it on my Mac but the photo editing software I use allows me to edit or remove metadata.

Old 03-09-21, 10:01 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 189 Votes on 169 Posts
Joed hit it. When you take the picture, the actual file doesn't rotate, but there's some data stored in the file that specifies what orientation you took the picture. Most graphics programs read that data and rotate it appropriately. But as you've found, some websites don't read that extra data and just display it as-is.

I believe on an iPhone, all photos are taking in the portrait orientation. Then the EXIF data rotates it to the left or right (or upside down) depending on how you were holding the phone when you took it.

Old 03-09-21, 02:36 PM
M
I've taken all the pictures with the phone in the portrait position and the pictures come in that way on the Mac, but when I upload online, they come up sideways like landscape so you have to turn your head sideways to read them!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: