No Modem

Old 06-21-01, 02:52 PM
CNord
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I am running Windows 95, on an older Hp Pavilion7420. It has been working fine except for some sound problems off and on. About a month ago I was having sound problems and went to the HP site for help. They had mego to the Device Manager and remove all the sound cards. When I restarted they wouldn't reload so I had to run the First aid disk. After that I have no modem. I was told by HP to take it in for service. That is $100. around where I live, to reload a modem. Is there anything I can do to find the modem? Everything was fine until HP's "help".
I have restarted and done everthing I know to do-which is rather limited. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-01, 05:34 AM
BSB
Try removing the modem from MOBO, reboot, shutdown, install modem (remove modem from device manager before reinstalling) reboot, should hopefully detect new hardware. If your modem has manual irq setting jumpers on board check that the one it is set to is free in device manager, you can check your irq's by right clicking on computer in device manager and then veiw by resources (i think, may be view by IRQ) if it is not free change the irq jumper on the modem to one that is. if the modem is plug and play will not have irq jumper. also check to see if your cmos settings for plug and play OS is enabled. You will need to reinstall your modem drivers.

Brian

Old 07-03-01, 06:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Hello. Just re-intsall your modem driver, That should do it. Greg.

Old 07-03-01, 06:58 AM
CNord
Visiting Guest
Thanks BS and Warthogg, but how do I reinstall my modem driver? Is it something from the First Aid disk?

Old 07-03-01, 08:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hello. First you will need the disk, cd or floppy that is the modem driver. If you dont have the disk you can goto the control panel and click on the modem to see what kind it is then search for the driver on any search engine and save it on a floppy. Next right click on my computer on the desktop then click properties, next click on device manager then click on your modem icon. Click on properties and you will see update driver, put in your disk and click update driver. You will have to restart your computer after you are done. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. Greg.

Old 07-04-01, 02:52 AM
If all else fails and you can't get the internal modem to work, I wouldn't pay somebody 100 bucks to do it. Go buy yourself an external modem and be done with it. You'll be glad you did. It's much better in my opinion.

Old 07-04-01, 08:27 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool 1st. Aid

First of all get rid of First Aid. I have seen that program cause more problems than a closet full of moths! If you are having so many problems that you have to run a third party app to keep the computer running it's time to format and reinstall. I say this allot but it's a fact that if a Windoze build lasts over a year you have done well. Especialy Win 95 and you are a power user! Anyway go into Device manager and remove the modem. Shut down. Pull the can off the computer and remove the modem. Restart the system. Shut it down again. Reinstall the modem and reboot & let the plug a pray feature do it's thing. If it works cool if not reinstall the factory modem drivers from http://www.windrivers.com That should do it. When you start having problems like this it's best to remove the offending device and start over. I would also bet money you are running an offbrand sound card. In my years of repairing this stuff, Win 95 and off brand sound cards were a real pain! Who to use? Who else, Creative Labs. Windoze was designed with Creative Labs hardware in mind.

Old 07-05-01, 04:53 AM
BSB
I've run my Win98 for nearly 2.5 years with out an install, had to, couldn't find any copies of my 98 disk, Just recently formated and reload win2k. btw....what is considered a power user????

Old 07-05-01, 06:16 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Programs

I always considered a power user as one that does allot of program downloads to play with, web cam, 2 printers, network, scanner, cable modem. In other words not just email and games which I do those too of course. But someone that uses their computer. I am hoping to have enough time to build the mico IP device I posted on here once and use it to turn on/off lights etc. http://www-ccs.cs.umass.edu/~shri/ipic.html Building the device is no biggie but running the wire is what I dread, under the house and I have a spider issue By the way, I am impressed! 2.5 years! If mine make it that long I have a party But I am always messing with somthing so the failures are usually my fault... But I have seen systems that the folks just surfed a little and a little email with real problems and I wonder why? Here I punish my computers, these people barley touch theirs and they have more problems than heavy/power users.

Old 07-05-01, 07:23 AM
BSB
I probably would format and reload more often, but I hate doing that, and I dont like loosing programs that I no longer have the master for. AND my wife hates being with out a computer for the amount of time I usauly take to get the stupid thing running just right. She has made me promise that I will get her her own pc and leave it the hell alone. No hardware upgrades, no software tweaks, no nothing, she wants to surf and write email once in a while and an occasional chat room. In other words no fun for me.

Brian