How to find administrator password

Old 05-04-21, 08:50 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to find administrator password

I have a HP laptop running Windows 10 and somehow the administrator password got changed but I don't know how. I have used all of the passwords that I usually use and none of them work. I looked and it says that the password was changed on 4/18/2021. I can run the computer to do everything as normal but whenever it asks to allow changes and I need to enter the admin password which is wrong so it doesn't allow me. The computer is 15 years old and I've been using the same password all these years.

Could a hacker have gotten in and changed the password?

How can I recover the password or reset it without knowing the admin password that's currently in there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-04-21, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 144 Posts
Have you tried shutting down the computer to restart it? I’ve had similar happen for no reason and shutting down or restarting did the trick.
Don’t think a hacker got in.

Old 05-04-21, 09:47 AM
T
Received 26 Votes on 25 Posts
If a reboot doesn't work, there should be utilities out there to resolve your issue. Do a search on reset win 10 admin password.

Read everything about any utility you consider. Look for possible side effects. Read reviews from several different sources you find on your own.

If you chose to use one, Read everything before doing anything. Follow instructions to the letter. The utility should have a great deal of power and you don't want to unleash that power indiscriminately.

Old 05-04-21, 11:48 AM
B
I have rebooted, in fact I took the battery out for a while but that didn't work.

Old 05-04-21, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,605 Votes on 1,479 Posts
I thought I found an easy way but I'm not 100% sure and don't want to mislead you.
Do you have a microsoft live account ?
You should be able to recover from there.

Old 05-04-21, 01:48 PM
Z
Received 43 Votes on 42 Posts
I donít know much about Windows 10, but since 4/18/2021 isnít that far back maybe if all else fails you can restore Windows to a point before 4/18/2021. You shouldnít have to do that but maybe that would get you out of the jam if you canít reset the password.

Although Ė I have read that W10 only keeps 3 restore points and does one automatically weekly. But others say it does one daily. But anyway, maybe one exists that would help if all the other procedures suggested here don't fix it .

Old 05-04-21, 06:58 PM
B
Would the win10 restore points be for the windows password or the Microsoft admin password?

Old 05-04-21, 07:02 PM
B
I don't recall having a Microsoft Live account. How would I find out?

Old 05-05-21, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 144 Posts
Go into Control Panel, then User Accounts, then User Accounts again. Just type Control Panel in your search bar if you don't have a shortcut.

Old 05-05-21, 07:23 AM
Z
Received 43 Votes on 42 Posts
Would the win10 restore points be for the windows password or the Microsoft admin password?
I see what you are saying, but what I was thinking is that if in fact there is some kind of corruption to Windows data base so that Windows thinks there was a change to the Administrator password on 4/18/2021 - when actually there wasnít a change, then maybe there is a chance that if you restore Windows to an earlier point in time that corruption would disappear.

It seems like it might be a least worth a try if all else fails.

Old 05-05-21, 07:25 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
There are any number of free "rescue" disks available online that will do this. They have a procedure that will let you erase the contents of the file containing the Administrator's password so the next time the OS boots, it simply thinks the Admin's PW was never set and will let you change it to whatever you want.

Two that I have recent personal experience with are Hiren's Boot CD and Bob.Omb's Modified Win10PEx64. There are several such "rescue disks" available, and not to say these are the best of the lot, but the task of resetting the Admin's PW is not particularly difficult.

FYI, Hiren's should be called "Hiren's Boot DVD" but they haven't changed the name from back when it would fit on a 700 MB CD, but the image now is closer to 1300 MB, so you would need to pick your thumb drive accordingly.

Select the rescue disk you want, download it and flash it to an thumb drive. IMHO, the best tool currently available for flashing a bootable image onto a thumb drive (from a Windows PC) is Rufus, but Pen Drive Linux's Universal USB Installer is an adequate alternative. Both are free, do exactly what they claim, and have GUIs that are fairly intuitive.

Flash the image to your thumb drive and boot off it. You might have to tinker with your laptops' BIOSes to enable them to boot off a USB drive. If they are of recent enough manufacture, you might see a screen during boot telling you which key to press to go to Boot Bios Select. BBS will let you alter the boot order for that one boot only so you can boot off a USB without permanently without altering your BIOS.

Hiren's instructions for deleting the Admin password are here, but they are a little ... incomplete. I just tested to confirm it still works on Windows 10 (using HBCD v15.2) and was able to change both my user password and the Admin PW. I only had used used this feature to delete the Admin's PW and thought I would try resetting it instead, and it worked.

Boot off the thumb drive and when the HBCD menu loads, select 'Mini XP.' When the XP desktop loads, click
Start> Programs> HBCD Menu> Windows Passwords/Keys> Login> NTPWEdit> Reset Password

When the applet loads you probably will see an address window that reads C:\Windows\System32\Config. If so, click on the button with the three dots to search for your SAM (Security Account Manager) file. Then the applet will let you select from all of the user profiles on that PC and enable you to change the password of each.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: