Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

compaq presario

Visiting Guest

06-22-01, 06:39 AM   #1  
DeAnna
I have a compaq presario 4770 that the harddrive is about to crash. Do you have an idea what a new one would cost and does it have to be installed by a computer shop?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

06-22-01, 06:51 AM   #2  
Depends on the SIZE of the hardrive you want to replace, but the prices have come down even on fairly large drives.
Get one with plenty of drive space on it, but don't overdo it. I replaced my 2.5 gb last year with a 13gb Western Digital that I got on sale, think it was $99 after a rebate.
The Western Digital came with good instructions and a program on 3.5 floppy to do the file copy from existing drive to new one. Don't know about other maker's drives, but suspect the name brands probably all are similar. You might want to check around on prices to do the install as it may not be expensive if you're not real comfortable d-i-y'ing it. Got my drive from Staples and they also have on-site computer work, so you might have a look there if there's one in your are. Good luck.

WI

06-22-01, 08:41 AM   #3  
go to http://www.pricewatch.com you can check out prices for just about anything dealing with PC's. 20Gb drives are going for around $85.

Brian

Visiting Guest

06-22-01, 10:29 AM   #4  
Bazooka227
You may also want to make sure that the size you select is compatible w/ your system. I've dealt w/ a Presario in the past and even for a seasoned veteran it was a nightmare, even after agreeing to pay Compaq support the extra $30 for advanced support. All they could tell me was that it couldn't be done and that there were no updates planned. I asked for a refund and never got one.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-02-01, 12:58 PM   #5  
answer

DeAnna,before you decide to buy a new one,why do you feel that it is about to crash? Maybe you need to delete some files and programs to clear some space. I am sure there are some programs that are taking up alot of space that you neccessarily do not need,Have you did a defragment yet. If you decide to buy I advise you to go to this site under computers. http://Ld.net/?Lavoris and if you have any questions go to this site http://www.homestead.com/lavoris

Visiting Guest

07-04-01, 08:58 AM   #6  
bigmike
Scandisk

Yea, how are you determining that the drive is failing? When was the last time you did defrag and scandisk? What is the report from scandisk? Bad sectors? How many? Where? Front of the drive or rear? Is the number growing or staying the same? If there are multiple sectors bad, especially in the boot section of the drive it is failing as well if they are in the rear. But slow boot upís, fatal's etc are not necessarily a sign the drive is failing.

Search this Thread