>>>>>COM PORT SETTINGS>>>>>

Old 06-22-01, 09:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question

I'll be receiving my new Gateway PC order next week, and will want to make sure my COM Port speed setting(bits/sec) is as high as possible for the Port the modem is on.

A frustrating wall I've repeatedly run into with modems is when I go into Device manager under Ports and the port the modem is on is not shown! > A lot of times the modem is on COM3 or 4, and the Ports pulldown in Device manager only displays COMS 1 and or 2.

What can I do to make the modem's port accessible, or perhaps, change the modem to a port "visible" to device mgr?

System will be ME, P4 processor, standard 56K v.90 fax/modem.

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-01, 11:45 AM
BSB
If you bring up propertes on the modem its self you can set the port speed there. 115,500kbs is the fastest speed I think you can set it to. you can even do this from the dialup networking folder, right click on your connection icon and go to (will have to dbl check this at home) settings or porperties, should be a port speed on the lower portion of the window that you have open.

Brian

Old 06-22-01, 01:53 PM
Lightbulb

Thanks - but that's the modem speed. I need to access the ComPort itself. Port be set as high as 230,400 BPS if I remember correctly. A+ repair book says to have COM Port speed set to minimum 2x the modem speed, if not, higher, for faster downloads.

28.8 > set port to 56K or 115K

56K > 115 or 230 if no data loss occurs.

-Chris

Old 06-22-01, 07:45 PM
Your thinking back to the days of Win 3x. Windows 98, ME and NT can tell the difference between and Com port and a modem in device manager. The only reason you would need for addressing the Com port directly is for command line access or old communications programs. The only time you will see both devices is if you are using an external modem on an existing Com port. Which version of A+ do you have? They just changed the test and the old books are hopelessly outdated.

Old 06-22-01, 10:54 PM
Actually, I'm studying from Mike Meyers' Third Edition - but my info comes from another A+ study book.

On my old computer, that croaked, I was indeed able to adjust a com port that had my INTERNAL modem on it. Windows 95 system, primitive P1.

So it IS possible to adjust the bps on the COM port carrying an internal modem.

-Chris

Old 06-26-01, 06:17 AM
You use a regular Com Port controls and use Com 1 and 2 provided you have a full modem and not a WinModem. Almost all new computers ship with WinModem cards or On-board WinModem Chips. The WinModem is a hardware based Com Port (hence, Com 3) and the Modem Controls are the only controls you have for speed.

Old 06-26-01, 09:17 AM
Thanks. My only concern was that my old Win95 PC/Pentium firstgen, had the internal modem(a full fax/modem v.90) on COM2 - which was visible and adjustable through Dev.Man.

My new computer's internet speed is slower than my old one's. I type in http://www.doityourself.com, Enter, and there is 1-2min of hangtime(spinning MSIE globe, modems not flashing in Systray), then it goes to the site.

I fully intend to find a way to eliminate this bottleneck and I need your help.

Thanks,
-Chris

Old 06-26-01, 10:14 AM
BSB
you can always allocate some memory to the modem irq in system.ini, by adding a irq4=4096 under 386enh line.

Irq4 being the irq # your modem is using.
4096 being optimal mem setting for modems.

you can get more info on optimizing modem settings on http://www.registy.com
or
http://www.dslreports.com

Brian

Old 06-26-01, 03:55 PM
How can I determine that my modem is on irq=4?

-Chris

Old 06-27-01, 04:27 AM
BSB
go to your device manager, right click on the very top device, I think its computer (the root) then view by (or properties) resources, select irq then scroll down untill you see your modem.

What this will do is give you a little better speed, but if you dont have a good connection (no blinking lights) wont change that.

Did you only start noticing this slow (for dialup) since the new pc? what modem are you using? do you have the other modem from your other machine you can stick in the new machine? You may have to go to the manufacture of the modem website and see if you can find an initialization string. I had a davicom 33.6 that totaly blew chunks, I thought was crappy ISP, after the 3rd ISP got a new USR and have not had a problem. It had the same problem you are describing, cept it would only connect at port speed of 115k. (It even sucked with AOL)

Brian

p.s. irq4 may not be your modem, mine is sitting on 5 or 8, could be 9, I think. hehe.

Old 06-27-01, 09:21 AM
BSB -

I may not have clearly mentioned the phoneline situation in our home since my old computer died. After that happened, we put a splitter on the phone jack that supplied the second phoneline to my computer.

This was to run a line to my Mom's machine in her room, as well as one to mine. A week later, my new Gateway shipped, I set it up, and got the slowest downloads and non-blinking systray icon in history.

Let me clarify to all reading this: TWO COMPUTERS ARE SHARING ONE PHONLINE - NOT TWO PHONE NUMBERS FROM ONE JACK! Therefore only one computer can be dialed into our ISP at a time.

I suspect that this splitter may be the culprit, but I'm not positive. BSB's advice to add the line to config.sys sped up the downloads for a while, but we're back to square one.

-Chris

Old 06-27-01, 10:06 AM
BSB
Easy enough to isolate, take the splitter out of the loop and go from wall jack to your new pc, if it has no problems, replace the splitter, or run a new line from the nid (grey box on side of house) off existing single line to new wall jack. (that is asuming that you only have ONE line for phone and internet) Its a simple job and only takes a few hours at best to complete.

If you still get crapy connection on the new machine, but the other (moms machine) is still good, look at the modem in the new machine. If both (gateway and moms) still have bad connection speeds, look to your ISP, if it turns out to possibly be the isp, tell them all was fine up to a certian date.

Steps to take:
1. Rule out splitter- remove and test connection.
2. Rule out inside wiring- buy phone cable long enoug to go from Nid to pc that already has the rj-11 connecters on it, cut one side off so you tie them to binding posts.(through window if need be) only 2 wires need to be connected to the binding posts in the NID. (but you can connect all 4 if the phone co did.)
3. Rule out your modem.
4. Call ISP or email with your problem. If they give a damn and wish to keep your business will email you back letting you know they are looking into the problem, and then email you again what they found to be at fault.
5. if its not the ISP and its not in the house, call phone co. they will do a line test, but they are not required to insure data rates, just a dial tone.

G'luck

Brian

Old 06-28-01, 07:52 AM
BSB:

Took the splitter out, marginal improvement.

Still, occasionally hangs 1-2min, then resolves site in under 5sec.

-Chris

Old 07-11-01, 06:59 PM
Visiting Guest
There are a few things to consider with the way you have this set up. The most obvious being the lenth of the phone line your using, the longer it is the more line noise you will get, try (as a test) moving your computer as close to the phone jack as possible, if you get bad results, move the computer to another phone jack and try it, then do the same with different phone wires. This will eliminate the possibility of Jack problems, or line noise * another test to try is to dial up using terminal adapter, change the default settings so you get a terminal window for logon, after you log on, and authenticate, if you see a bunch of garbage on your screen, you have line noise and will have an unreliable connection until your local telco gets it fixed. I complained about my line noise for 3 weeks and they finally fixed the problem by transfering my line to a digital circuit.

Another thing I have run in to is programs running in the background, every program uses resources, resources are needed for your modems buffer, your modems buffer is needed to transfer data, demodulate it, and tranfer it to Ram for access. I close all my background apps when playing Everquest and I see a dramatic improvement in my connection speed and stability. The biggest resource depleting app unfortunatly is my antivirus software.

Good Luck

Old 07-16-01, 07:42 PM
Image Weaver:

My phone line is 5-6feet. Mother's is 25(!) and still gets faster internet service.

Also, have lots of items in my network tab (dialup adaptors, etherlinksk, etc, that I wonder if should be there).

-Chris

Both our machines have ME, mine is a tower, Moms a laptop.

Old 07-17-01, 06:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Is Mothers jack near the D-Marc on the outside of the house? You should also consider the inside wireing which has been suggested before, Have you tried the checking for line noise yourself using Term Window ? This issue really sounds like a line noise problem rather than a hardware problem. If you have an external modem then voltage becomes yet another variable. If your getting a better connection with a 25 ft extension to your modem from your moms jack,.. Perhaps it's the wall jack that should be investigated, open it up and see if the wires are black with oxidation, that will cause a bad connection and is easy to fix if the phone wire is not oxidized all the way to the D-Marc

Old 07-18-01, 07:11 AM
Jack in my bedroom. Mom's wire goes through wall back into her room. Copper is bronze.

Old 07-19-01, 06:56 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Network

Why don't you set up a network and use Network Connections in Windoze to use only one phone line? Two network cards and a CAT5 cable ran to your computer and you both can use/share the dialup at the same time. Win/98/ME/2000 does the networking extremely well. Running 4 systems now on my network thru a router. Only downside is the computer that is being used as the "Server" must be on for the other computer to access the net/phone line. My main computer hasn't been turned off for over six months. Doesn't hurt a thing but the power bill. Of course both of you using the line may effect your download times. Have you thought of DSL or Cable/broadband? ISDN would even be better than standard dialup. If you have two accounts on the same ISP you could dual connect from your computer (2 modems) and then share via the network, but you would have to have a second line. Also why not get a second line? A no frills line can't cost much more than $20 a month... One other thing, are you in an apartment or a house? Have u crawled under the house to see if that line is split that u are not aware of? How old is the wire? Go to R.S. and buy new wire and run it. Run separate lines from the Dmark/NIG to each computer. Don't go to urs then to mom's. Get the phone company out there and have them check the line for noise, is there a filter on the phone line for noise? Take it off. Stand there and watch the guy do the test, act like u know what he is doing, believe it or not he doesn't know much more than you do so don't feel intimidated by his test equipment, just shake your head say cool then get with us and we will tell you what the test results mean. They don't charge for this but say your hearing static on your phone line not the computer then u don't have to listen to "It's your computer not our 30 plus year old lines." Long winded ain't I?

Old 07-19-01, 09:18 AM
The new phone line was added 5 years ago, and has had no modifications since. The line was tested and balanced(whatever that means) shortly after it's installation in 1996. Only thing added was the $2.99 2way modular splitter that allows my Mom to physically hook into and access the line. On a scale of 1-10 both of us are 6s when it comes to length of internet usage.

"Give it up and go cable/DSL" is not an affordable option - my dial up on my old computer was sufficiently fast and hung once a month on average. I just figured a new system, new OS, more memory, slightly faster buss speed, would equal or improve slightly on that. Guess I was wrong.

-Chris

Old 07-19-01, 10:06 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool New

Unfortunately a new computer will not necessarily have an effect on your dialup connection. Higher buss speed etc would however effect you if you had a network running which I still say you should do. The network cards would run about $25/30 each and a 50 foot piece of Cat5 already made up about $5.00. You could both use the connection at the same time. I cannot imagine going back to dialup, I use it when I am on the road and have even switched to a Palm 3C to try to expedite connection time. Anyway you will be limited by your dialup connection for many reasons, Old copper lines, old switches at Bell etc So many things can have an effect on you! You may want to contact your ISP and see if they have a script to plug in that will help your connect rate. If they do not know what a script is I would suggest moving to, and I can’t believe I am saying this, move to AOL. At least they support their customers and have a fairly decent reputation…