Tablet owner info

Old 06-09-21, 12:10 PM
Received 8 Votes on 6 Posts
Tablet owner info

I was wondering where the user information and other things that stay on the tablet are stored. Say I wanted to sell my tablet for parts. How would I insure nothing about me was on it? You can remove the hard-drive on a pc to do it but what could I remove on my tablet? Which part would I have to unsolder? Would it be the same on all tablets or does brand matter?

Old 06-10-21, 04:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
Have you ever opened up a tablet? By the time you open it and remove what you "think" the tablet is likely useless and has no value and is a better candidate for shredding and recycling.

You didn't say what tablet you have so I can't get specific but there are information removal features built into most operating systems. In Windows I think it's in the recovery section.and you tell it to wipe the information and return it to it's "like new" condition.

Old 06-10-21, 04:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 988 Votes on 899 Posts
I think you would probably just do a factory reset from the tablet settings menu.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 06-10-21, 05:18 AM
Received 370 Votes on 335 Posts
Yes, a factory reset is the proper method. There several Youtube videos that show how.

Old 06-10-21, 08:12 AM
H
Received 166 Votes on 145 Posts
A factory reset deletes the SSD's file index- the information is still there.
First, you probably want to install one of several "file shredder" utilities.
Take a look at Shreddit, Secure Erase with iShredder 6, and AVG Cleaner, all of which are in the Play Store.

Second, you want to make backups of those apps to to a micro-SD card.

Third, remove SD card.

Fourth, factory reset the phone to remove all your data.

Fifth, sideload the shredder apps from the SD card onto the wiped phone.

Sixth, run the shredder app to overwrite your erased data.

Seventh, do a 2nd factory reset to erase the junk data. Now, if anybody "undeletes" the files, all they will recover is the junk data.

Old 06-10-21, 11:53 AM
Received 8 Votes on 6 Posts
Yes I have opened a tablet before. I repaired my Samsung.
Some people buy tablets for parts only. The screen is a good part and the board has many parts that can be used.
When you have no circuit diagram or schematic a donor board of like make is very useful.
I thought about removing the cpu but it probably does not contain the files I need to remove.

Old 06-10-21, 03:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
You would need to remove the memory chip(s), not the CPU. If you can't identify them by sight you'll need to look up the numbers on the chips to determine what they are.

An old tablet has little value. I love taking them apart but when I'm done with them it is garbage. I wouldn't bother opening it up unless you wanted to for fun. I'd do the software wipe and sell it. If you are an international spy licensed to kill I'd take a hammer to the chips and not try to sell it for parts. It all depends on how much work you are willing to do for the parts value.

Old 06-11-21, 10:33 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 181 Posts
Most (all?) tablets these days have security mechanisms built in which mean when you 'erase and reset' the device, the data on the device is completely unrecoverable. Recovering data from flash memory (the storage used in most tablets) is pretty close to impossible. Most/all mobile devices additional encrypt data, which adds a whole additional level of security to deleted data.

Similarly, solid state drives (SSD's), used in a lot of laptops these days, the process for recovering deleted data is really really difficult. It's not like spinning hard drives that use blocks and a map, SSDs map data in a much more complex manner.

So in my opinion, resetting and erasing the device is sufficient in pretty much all cases before selling or recycling a modern device.

BUT... just to be complete, the US Government has been shredding (literally shredding) both hard drives and memory of discarded computers for years. There is research (and probably nation-states) looking into recovering data from these types of erased systems. So if you have data that someone might spend LOTS of $$ to attempt to recover, you should probably physically destroy it.

In the end, I'm not worried about someone at Goodwill or a random eBay person spending that much time and money to possibly recover my data. I do still physically destroy spinning hard drives though. (And I crosscut shred all my paper bills and such too - though that's another discussion.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: