Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

High-Speed Cable ISP

NC

06-23-01, 06:29 AM   #1  
I just switched to a fiber-optic cable ISP.
It has its own modem, of course. I have Win 98. Should I reset anything on my computer to maximize speed?
Also, second ?: AFTER, I switched, they informed me that it would take up to 48 hours before I can receive email with the new address. (I can send, but cannot receive at this time, and it has been 38 hours).
Thanks for any insight.
"A Computer E-lliterate"

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

06-24-01, 07:13 AM   #2  
Hi: Mike

I have a cable modem also. Have had it for several years. Nothing compares to it for speed. Well, most of the time anyway unless you pay more for commerical speeds.

After the external modem was installed, all I had to do was phone call the cable company and they walked me through the process of adding the names and numbers into the computer.

Prior to that, all that was not included and had to be installed first which was the 3-COM card. It's software provided the dialogue boxes where the assigned IP/STMP names and numbers went.

You may have to do the same. Call the cable company. However, if there is a backlog of programmers to route the assigned numbers you may already have, that could be where the bottleneck is.

Another could be the routers and servers available in your area. If cable modem service is new to your area, there could be a higher then expected number of new signups. could be your case for the slight delay.

However, there are advantages to this.
You won't notice a slightly lower speed when tons of your neighbors are also online when you are or want to be.

You won't get switched over to other routers and servers without advanced notice and find out after the fact that your email doesn't work and have to call to get your new assigned numbers. I hate when that happens...

I do not remember having to change nor reset anything on the computer to increase speed, except for adding RAM!

Good Luck,
Tom

NC

06-24-01, 07:38 AM   #3  
Thanks, Tom.
They finally got the email straightened out after 45 hours, and the new speed is great!
Mike

WI

06-26-01, 04:24 AM   #4  
Make sure you get your system locked down from outside intruders. with cable everyone in your area shares the same segment and its not do hard to find an open port and gain access to your pc. (same can be said with dialup or dsl, but most say its easier to get in on cable)

Brian

*until he gets faster then dialup has decided not to like anyone*

NC

06-26-01, 04:58 AM   #5  
Brian,
I am not computer literate, and I have been concerned about that.
How do I do that ("locked down")? Do I have to buy some kind of security software?
(I think that I can get such from McAfee, my anti-virus people.)

Admin Emeritus

CAL

06-27-01, 07:48 PM   #6  
Hi Mike

Brian is correct. A cable modem is an easy target for hackers. Hackers are everywhere, even in your neighbor and mine. Therefore, a firewall is necessary. The firewall software will protect the computers open ports.

The reason a firewall is needed, a cable modem is assigned a fixed IP/STMP number. This number identifies your computer from any others in your area.

To a hacker, it's like your home street address and phone number made public to them. Once insider your computer, a hacker can roam freely or use your computer to host evil deeds, etc. on others.

Dialup connections do not use fixed IP numbers. Each time you dialup to get online, a different IP number is used for your computer to log on and it's provided by the Internet Provider. Random numbers can make it extremely difficult for hackers, etc.

Best non commerical firewall I suggest is from:

http://www.ZoneAlarm.com

The free version even works well...
It's works and is easy to use.
No advertisements or popups to put up with either.
Online help is superb too.
Great Product!

Regards,
Tom

WI

06-28-01, 05:00 AM   #7  
I wish I had a reason for a firewall!
*pouts*

I had forgot about the static IP on cable, I knew there was a reason it was easier for hackers to hack then dsl or dialup. (even though they say dsl is always up, you still have to logon to the server when ever you come back, new connection, new IP address)

you may also want to check into blackice, and I think Defender. I forget the name of the site right now, but there is a site that will test your system for weak spots, by attacking every common port. If I can find it, or maybe someone else knows about it, will post it. There are over 65000 potential ports for a hacker to gain access on each system out there.

Brian

NC

06-28-01, 07:44 AM   #8  
Thanks, Tom and Brian!
I just bought the ZoneAlarm Pro 2.6 firewall for $39.95.
I suppose that it will do the trick.
Thanks, again.

WI

06-28-01, 12:45 PM   #9  
You can test your ports 2 ways of many, download port detector, or go to http://www.dslreports.com and go to tools, you can then check the test me now selection takes about 2 min and will give you a detailed annalysis of your security flaws. It will aslo give you pointers on locking down your system(s) a little better.

G'luck

Brian

Admin Emeritus

CAL

07-01-01, 07:19 PM   #10  
Hi OldGuy

You do not have to suppose. It isn't neccessary. ZoneAlarm Pro will do the job needed without any doubts.

By now you already have it up and running. You should also have noticed those popup alerts by now. Several of them are called PINGS. Others random checks from web sites to see if your still on their site, online, logged out, etc.

Each one watching you, checking on you and your computer. Kind of suspicious before but now with ZoneAlarm your suspicions have been confirmed....hahaha...your being tracked and watched...LOL...but now you can relax and hide...haha...ZoneAlarm is protecting your computer.

Regards,
Tom

PS: I'm hiding too!...LOL

Search this Thread