Microsoft Windows apps (Your Favorite EveryDay)

Old 07-18-21, 09:18 PM
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Microsoft Windows apps (Your Favorite EveryDay)

Basically, what are some of your favorite EVERYDAY tools/applications that you must have and use daily on the PC? And what do you use it for?

Lawrosa was asking about the Brave Browser on this site which turns out to be a very good browser and my new favorite browser.
Brave browser ( Fast)

Therefore, I thought this will be a good thread to share of our other favorite software. I will start; here are a few of my favorite freeware that I use on a daily basis:

Screen Print: PicPick
I like this because it is light weight, over SnagIT.

File and Folder Comparison: WinMerge
I use this heavily to sync backups and compare authenticity of text files.

Files Shredder: Eraser

Media Player: PotPlayer
Lots of features and previews.

Video Editing: AvideMux
No ReEncoding when editing media files

Notepad 3
I like it because it has hyperlink and programming capability.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-19-21, 06:30 AM
Received 624 Likes on 555 Posts
The only particular app or program I might recommend is GREENSHOT for screen printing. I seldom use it but when I need it, it does the job very well. Everybody has their favorites and it's all based on what we are use to and what we are trying achieve. As far as browser go, there a hundreds. But if you want an overall general purpose then the big three (Chrome, Firefox and Edge) are the ones that do the job. If you stress out over being tracked or spied upon then there are browser that can be had, but you always sacrifice something for something. Me? I'm not worried.
I also learned to depend upon GOOGLE SHEETS more and more for spread sheets. Especially since I need access to them at my work site. But I'll never give up my Excel 2007. Never need to worry about Internet outage and always on hand.
Beyond that I have no particular favorites or problem with Window updates. Looking forward to the new Win 11 debut.

Old 07-19-21, 09:49 AM
Z
Received 87 Likes on 81 Posts
Im boring. My favorites are PowerPoint, Word, Notepad, Firefox, and Adobe Reader.

I guess I'm also happy with Excel - although I don't use it much.

Old 07-19-21, 11:21 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 340 Likes on 306 Posts
@zoesdad take a look at Notepad++ Free, and a huge upgrade from Windows Notepad.

I don't understand how Notepad, which has been part of Windows forever, still doesn't even show you what line number you're on. Even Solitaire has received a few updates and enhancements over the years!

Old 07-19-21, 11:52 AM
H
Received 260 Likes on 222 Posts
Eh, I guess I'm ALSO boring, I use most of the basic MS apps / programs.

MODI- Microsoft Document Imaging
As a solo attorney, this simple OCR program makes a huge difference. Scan 150 page court documents to .tiff files. When there's a page that doesn't scan right? (which ALWAYS seems to happen) you can simply put it back into the stack and drag it to the correct location.
The run OCR, and you get a straightened image that is now text searchable. Small file size. Does take a bit of fiddling to get it installed with never versions of MS Office, but I find it's worth it.

Screen Print:
I find that Ctrl-Print Screen or Alt-Print Screen to Drobox for screen capture is good, MS Edge is now has good screen capture and markup tools.

File and Folder Comparison:
I don't really do too much file comparison, but the combination of MS Defender and Malware Bytes works well for checking that files are the same. Only twist is that you have to remember to just close the Malware Bytes nag screen (e.g. don't choose update or uninstall) and it will run and update automatically.

Media Player:
Generally, just native Win10 'Movies & TV' with VLC as a backup.

Text
Eh, generally just MS Notepad. However, it DOES amaze me how many people don't know the "anti paywall" trick for New York Times, Washington Post etc.

F5
Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C
Open note pad, hit Ctrl-V

That gets you all the text of the newspaper / magazine article that's behind the paywall.

VISTA CALLER ID
Don't laugh. I've still got a landline phone, my main computer has a fax-modem which means it collects and announces Caller Id information for incoming calls. Very helpful for compiling a contacts, and updating contact information.

gPad Server
A nice, but ancient, android app that lets you use an old cellphone as a Bluetooth or WiFi keyboard & mouse. Works great for "movie night" with a projector, and an ancient '"candybar" Samsung Phone with a slide out physical keyboard and mouse buttons on the screen.

SoundWire Server
Another 'what can I do with that old phone" app, this lets you mirror your audio to a cellphone over WiFi. Excellent trick when you're in an online meeting and have to head out to the garage without loosing the signal. Also an excellent way to avoid running wires around when hooking up a back yard stereo.

Old 07-19-21, 03:00 PM
Z
@zoesdad take a look at Notepad++ Free, and a huge upgrade from Windows Notepad.
Thanks Zorfdt ! Looks like that's a real winner. Sure is nothing like your Father's Notepad - lol.
Really is greatly expanded, or I guess really there's so much to it, it's like apples and oranges.
Can't even really compare it to the old Notepad. A lot of features - and good useful features.
Not just added for the sake of adding.

Also seems easy to use. I really like it.

Old 07-25-21, 08:29 AM
B
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Basically, what are some of your favorite EVERYDAY tools/applications that you must have and use daily on the PC? And what do you use it for?
Quite misleading, PC is certain kind of hardware platform. There is wide variety of operating systems which can be used on a PC. I started using Linux in 1997, FreeBSD in 1998. I had to replace our company email server with something reliable and secure and MS Windows NT just did not cut it. After learning the internals of POSIX systems I realized MS Windows is just an insult to a computer enthusiast. Have been Windows free since 2003. It wasn't smooth sailing back then. Some websites required Internet Explorer. Funny, isn't? The only OS and browser out there inherently insecure and your bank requires you use it. It is all history now, haven't had to do any trickery to access web sites for a decade now. Frankly, I feel sorry for people who apparently do not read the MS user agreement, not to mention Windows is the only OS out there which needs anti-virus being total joke security-wise. Now add here all major anti-virus providers agree about 1/3 of badwares slips thru undetected ... I personally am not brave enough to use Windows for internet. It remains a prime example of exceptional marketing and business skills of Bill Gates & Co indeed. To have such a financial success with clearly inferior product, hats off. There used to be a big fat warning article about MS Windows being a threat to the national security in a federal government website, it disappeared. Nobody knows how much damage all cybercrime does to our society, all made easy for criminals by Microsoft. OK, I had my Sunday morning cap of coffee, gotta go. I know, nobody really appreciates postings like this one, and I cannot change the world.

Old 07-25-21, 08:43 AM
Received 624 Likes on 555 Posts
Bitjam, it's not that we don't want to read a post like yours, it's just that it did not answer the question. Technical accuracy using semantics not withstanding, the OP just asked what are your favorite apps or programs using a computer and most likely Windows. You know, like what is you favorite e-mail program or perhaps game? Or maybe utility.

Old 07-25-21, 05:27 PM
H
Received 260 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Bitjam
I started using Linux in 1997, FreeBSD in 1998. I had to replace our company email server with something reliable and secure and MS Windows NT just did not cut it. After learning the internals of POSIX systems I realized MS Windows is just an insult to a computer enthusiast. Have been Windows free since 2003.
Nice to see someone who's done their background work.
I learned from my father who debugged FORTRAN programs by running a tape through a bath of rubbing alcohol and iron filings, stretching it down the office hallway and then called out bits ON OFF...
As I kid, I had it easier, learned on IBM mainframes and custom CP/M machine (that still weighed as II did. As a kid, my pool paddleboard was an IBM 360 tape drive cover.

Computers, like people, use many different encoding systems to communicate, but I'm not sure what you're saying...

Old 07-26-21, 02:47 PM
Z
I can add a tool-set to the list here, although I don’t use it every day and I don’t think it would fall under the category must-have. However, I do like it: Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 IDE. I’m pretty sure there are newer versions that are also free.

I think it works very well. The free version doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the full-blown version, but it has everything you need to develop C++ applications (and some other languages). I like the fact that it seems to be solid as a rock (the worst thing is to have bugs in “debug aids”; you can lose your mind – lol).

@Bitjam –

After learning the internals of POSIX systems I realized MS Windows is just an insult to a computer enthusiast.
Bitjam I think the enthusiast point you make is valid and it does differentiate the MS and POSIX worlds. But I don’t think Windows is aiming at enthusiasts. I think Windows is trying to make it as easy possible to use a computer with the applications you want and need. You can’t get under the hood and tinker – by design. I agree that has limitations, but it has a nice short learning curve also. A lot of work goes into the user interface.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-30-21, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by BitJam
Quite misleading, PC is certain kind of hardware platform. There is wide variety of operating systems which can be used on a PC.
I didn't know in this day and age that needs to be explained as well as the fact that there are cross platform apps that can be shared to the community.

As for the rest of your post, ok got it; you don't like and wrote off Microsoft. Fortunately, Microsoft and Oracle have helped propel my career into early retirement, started my career in 1995.

A few years back, I had a client where their new main Principal Architect adamantly recommended to rid Microsoft products and SQL Server, replacing with Oracle because they needed to ETL (Extract Transform Load) data from mainframes and websites to their databases. It would have costed them hundred of thousands of dollars to change the data environments (both reporting and data tiers), not to mention years of migration efforts (both on app and business intelligence tiers). When I provided the solution for them, it costed them a fraction of their original estimated while provided them a long-term durable architect to build upon.

This individual (Principal Architect) did not look deep enough for the solutions and blamed the brand (in this case Microsoft). Over the course of time, he and I worked on several more big projects. We ended up having lots of respect for one another because in the end, we wanted to achieve the same goals for the company: cutting cost; saving time for redundant tasks; producing long-term accurate solutions.

Now, I am not saying in your case, you did not look deep enough because I don't have visibility into what you were doing. The point is, Microsoft, Oracle, Sun MicroSystem, SalesForce, SnowFlake, IBM etc... all have good and bad products while it is up to each individual to research and how they utilize it to build out the processes for the companies/clients. With that being said, I am going to stop here because this going off rail from my original question for this post. If you would like to discuss more, please feel free to PM.

ZoesDad and ZorfDT, I also use products from NirSoft to help with my development.

https://www.nirsoft.net

Old 07-31-21, 02:32 PM
Z
I forgot about this utility for the list : SpeedFan.

I use it in monitor mode. I don’t use it to control fan speeds, but instead to just report fan speeds. It also monitors and reports internal temperatures and voltage levels (and does some other things). I think it is a good utility.

In fact a little while ago I used SpeedFan and found that my processor temperature was up very substantially. So I then executed “Windows Resource Monitor” which indicated very high (60%) CPU utilization by Firefox.

Turned out Firefox was using about 60% of the CPU capability in a steady state, so that’s why the processor was much hotter than usual. I had about 8 tabs open and so somehow some way Firefox must have gotten into some kind of execution loop. (I could have played around to possibly isolate the problem to some extent, but I just killed Firefox and started it up again)

ZoesDad and ZorfDT, I also use products from NirSoft
Lot of good stuff there.

Last edited by zoesdad; 07-31-21 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-31-21, 07:41 PM
ZoesDad, is SpeedFan similar to RealTemp app where it monitors the CPU temps? I will test SpeedFan out later this week. Always in search for a better product. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by ZoesDad
Lot of good stuff there.
Yes, you should check it out.

I use to write/create lots of small tools to assist my implementations for projects. But now a day, I look for my needs on NirSoft or NCHSoftware https://www.nchsoftware.com for tools to save time. I like NirSoft because they are light weight and leaves light footprint. I have written a MD5 hash comparison but their is just better.

Old 07-31-21, 07:45 PM
For those folks who download programs and install, this maybe useful for you

It has all of the major virus company engines. It verify the authenticity and provide useful details. I scan everything I download with this.

https://www.virustotal.com/en

This does not replace an antivirus software. It is just an additional security practice before any installation.

Old 08-05-21, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
notepad

amazing in its simplicity

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: