New PC - Internet connection slower than ever

Old 06-24-01, 03:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Angry

BRAND NEW Gateway - thing rocks. 1.4gig Athlon, 128Ram/133bus speed. Millennium Edition

When I double-click my internet service, it hangs for 2-3 mins before dialing in, and typing http://www. anywhere and hitting Enter is a nightmare - hangs 1-2 mins before resolving the page. Pinging from command prompt just as bad. Feels like I'm back in 1991 at the new frontier of the net!!!! What could be causing this hanging? Here's my suspicion, you guys can suggest otherwise - all input is helpful:

Mom has her own computer. We have 3-way splitter coming off separate phoneline for the internet. Splits are "Line 1" "Line 2", and "Line 1/2" I'm plugged into line2, my mom, line1. That's just the designations on the splitter, they aren't actual separate "Lines". My suspicion is that the(physical)connection is tenuous at best - non-existent at worst. And the odd thing is that the modems in my System Tray show at least 50,000bps at most times!

What do you think?

-Chris
"It should not take 4 hours for a Corvette to get from Dallas to Fort Worth..."

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-01, 09:27 PM
Well you certianly have a good computer.

What is your internet provider. Are you using aregular inetrnet dialup provider or one of those freebees that put a popup or banner across part of your screen.

next question , no other problems with your computer with any non internet application ?

One of the first things I do when setting up someones new system is format the drive, as I find it is often configured and loaded with stuff you don't need, I hate when teh manufacturer has decided how the computer is to be set up /configured and what software they think you want or need.

The fact that you can log in at 50k , I would assume that once connected your ok. However I have seen at times where this indicated is wrong.

The 2 telephones lines you are refering to are actually separate phone line that can be used independant of each other,(separate phoen #) yet want to be sure. Both computers can connect to the internet atteh same time spearate , each using a differnt phone line ?

On your dial up networking , on the connection you use, right click, choose properties, click on security tab,
uncheck "log on to network" make certain that TCP/Ip is checked under the networking tab and enable software compression checked also under the same tab. Also if you have call waiting you must put in the code to diable taht feature when dialing into your provider, where I am that code is *70

Let us know if any of that helps.

Old 06-25-01, 04:14 PM
Perhaps I didn't clarify the phoneline situation. The spliter splits the SAME phone# between two computers. That is, only one computer can be dialed in at a time.

Other activities on this machine are slow as well - the cursor delays behind the moveement of the mouse. Double click on recycle bin - takes 40sec to open(!), etc.

This is a brand new Gateway for God sakes!

-Chris

Old 07-03-01, 06:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Hello. My wifes computer acted like that, a hesitation for about 5 seconds before responding. I blame it on the operating system, ME, but you can get it moveing faster. Goto start, run, type in msconfig then check your start up tab and see what is running, on my wifes she had 18 boxxes checked, a nightmare! I also run it in selective startup. She only has a 10 gig hard drive 90% full but still runs at 86% system resources. Good luck. Greg.

Old 07-03-01, 03:08 PM
Angry

Thanks 299,

Went through msconfig with a Gateway tech a couple days ago. My numbers are now 89/89/92 - not bad compared to when I first got it - 60s and 70s. Plus it was so defragmented out of the box that Disk Defrag didn't even stop to ask me if I wanted to proceed!

Still, none of this has helped my Internet. My provider, in response to dkerr, is http://www.snet.net, also the main phone provider in CT. They run on Communicator or Explorer(which I have), and don't have a serious banner problem.

As mentioned before, I took out the splitter(and my Mom's connection) and tested my machine directly. In a numeric sense, the hangtime dropped by 30% - not a bad improvement, but still, the fact that the page resolves itself in only 5 seconds(after 1-2min of hangtime) says something. And my connection speed is consistently 50,000 to 52,000 bps, which is excellent as far as I'm concerned for a 56K modem.

So the physical connection seemed to be the biggest hurdle, but I am looking for other ideas.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 07-03-01, 05:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Here is an easy chip trick you can try. Keep the phone line from your computer to the jack as short as possible and use a quality phone line with gold plated ends. Also goto http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

and run the tweak test. It will tell you how to tweak your system amd result in better performance. Greg.

Old 07-03-01, 06:48 PM
Exclamation

I deal with a lot of Gateways at work and here's my $.02 worth. I've had a number of computers come lately with loose cables and cards that weren't well seated. A loose IDE cable can cause some of your problems and a loose modem card is a killer. If all else fails Gateway service centers do good work and Gateway support will stick with you even if does take awhile to get all the problems worked out. Have you tried a cheap $15 dollar modem to see if it is the modem causing the problems. Also, your ISP may have some suggestions for AT settings to let your modem talk to their modems better. Good Luck

Michael

Old 07-04-01, 08:41 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Log on

Make sure you do not have "Log on to network" checked in your dial up settings. This will hang you on initial connection. Slow speeds while connected can be to numerous to mention. Try http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...etwork/nsl.htm
This little app will tell you allot about your connection and is half the size of the costly "Starfish" program. It isn't as flashy as Starfish but WORKS!

Old 07-04-01, 09:10 AM
Cool Profanity

Profanity is not allowed on this forum in any way what so ever. I am sorry that you had a problem with the software I recommended and you are the first. When I ran dial up I used NSL on all my computers and still do on my laptop. The problems you are experiencing are and were not caused by the NSL app. You have a problem much more deep than this. I would expect to find something in the registry that has failed. You did not by chance use one of the programs that supposedly speed up your connection did you? Anyway, I/we will do our best to help but I/we do not allow posts such as you just did. Sorry if I offended you but thatís the way it is. Mike.

[Edited by bigmike on 07-04-01 at 02:24]

Old 07-05-01, 10:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Hello,everyone with these computer problems I understand that the replies given may be hard to understand,but you are dealing with experts/professionals and they all know what they are talking about,Please try to provide every detail information,and include anything that have been downloaded.I came across alot of situations where computer problems started happening when something was downloaded,yes at first the program could have worked fine,then a couple of days you noticed problems,so please let every technician as much details as possible before and after,I am sure I am not speaking for myself but for others.For Example Your computer may be running slow, I can say that you need to upgrade,need more memory, need disk space,these may be all true, but another program that has been loaded can also cause the computer to slow down, every program you download changes settings and sometimes you can have many conflicts.

I am your Computer Technician,Blockmasonry,Washer and Dryer and etc TECH from Decatur,Ga

Old 07-05-01, 01:47 PM
Sorry, bigmike!

Right now I'm a little frustrated because I have both an HP-820 issue and an internet speed issue here when what I expected was a machine that would work,like a vacuumcleaner, out of the box.

I believe the app I downloaded from NSL was right at the top, and was a diagnostic one to check my lines/modem.

Lavoris:

I understand most if not all of the steps suggest here to clear up my connection problem. Like I said above, I'm a techie but I would also like my own machine to work "OOB"(out of the box)

Thanks,

Chris

Old 07-05-01, 07:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Question For bigmike

Hey I downloaded that analogX netstat, pretty cool little program, but it dosent say what are good numbers for fast connection with modems or cable. What do you think? Greg.

Old 07-05-01, 07:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Here is a good little java applet test to try, goto--

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

It is meant for broadbanded connections like sattelite and cable but also works with modems. This test tells you how your connection is and gives you suggestions to tweak your modem. I got my system at 100% tranfer effeciency. Greg.

Old 07-05-01, 08:02 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Warthog

Jeez, what a handle! My fondest memorys are from my ex-wife. I loving refer to her as oh wait... Never mind... I never used it on the cable modem, for dial up high numbers are better. It has been so long since I used it I can't remember what numbers I saw. I don't even have a modem in my computers now and the laptop is set up for long distance dialup and when I try it there I get all kinds of different numbers. I will try to investigate further and let you know. Don't hold your breath though, I have two speeds, if you don't like the first you surely won't like the second... I'll try to get them together in the next day or so. So much to do so little time...

Old 07-08-01, 07:10 AM
Angry Situation Worsening!!

While surfing, my modem periodically disconnects! And forget about trying to watch RealVideo or Windows Media. Monitors in systray stay black(no data flow) for 4 min, then I just give up.

What's next?

My mother, connected to the same line/#, has almost DSL like speed with her dial in modem - WITH 25 FEET OF PHONE CORD BETWEEN HER MACHINE AND THE SPLITTER! And her Real and Windows Media download as fast as DEJr crossing the finish line.....

-Chris

Old 07-08-01, 04:40 PM
Thumbs down

Hope you saved the packing material. Sounds like its time to send it back to Gateway and have them ship you a new machine.

Old 07-09-01, 05:54 AM
BSB
Anyone know what modem munfacture GateWay uses? Many will argue this point, but when it comes to dialup Usrobotics is the only modem to use. Many of the ISP's use Hays or USR for their dialup servers and most of the "off brand" modems dont connect worth crap. This is personal experience and some may have had better luck with other modems, I on the other hand have never had any luck with anything but usr.

Brian

Old 07-09-01, 11:25 AM
Lightbulb

BSB, etal

Modem in this machine is (suspect virtual) brand BCM , type v.90.

What I don't get is if this is a virtual winmodem, why is there a card in the slot inside my tower, other than to provide an interphase with the phone cord?

Also, my old machine had a USR - I'm constantly kicking myself in the foot for not removing it before junking the case! Of course I didn't know I was in for 2-3 minute waits with my new Gateway! (8-0

-Chris

Old 07-09-01, 01:35 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Win modem

If it's an actual Win Modem scrap it! They are noted for being junk! Go and buy a new modem, $50 just about anywhere. Buy USR and I bet that does it. Make sure of their return policy though. If it doesn't work take it back. I think Wal-Mart sell's USR. They take anything back... If your other computer (modem) is working properly, you have checked your wireing and modem setup then replace it. BCM is of no help, when I tried to search their site they required a network password. All I could find was info about motherboards. Scrap the modem! If they company doesn't even support their own junk then it isn't worth it...

Old 07-09-01, 06:56 PM
Question

Thanks bigmike - that's about the best advice here yet on this subject.

Two things though:

1 - What exactly is a "winmodem" vs. a "real" modem? I've been using the term loosely here only because I heard it in conversation somewhere.

2 - I can swap cards like a dealer - including modem cards However, should I consult Gateway first before swapping parts on a warranty machine?

Thanks for your sugg.

-Chris

Old 07-09-01, 09:20 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Winmodem

My information on the Winmodem is a little vague also. What I have read is the protocols are different than a standard modem. I just know that they are a real hassle and every one I have come up against I have had to change. I will do a more through investigation tomorrow and post my findings here soon. I have an orientation class to attend for a new job so will be late in the post...

Old 07-10-01, 11:26 AM
GBC or JBC??

Anybody heard of the above brand modem?? My local Gateway store will install it free during 30 Return period. They can't tell me anything about it - if it's v.90, second phone port, etc. All they know is it's NOT a winmodem.

-Chris

Old 07-10-01, 02:24 PM
Exclamation BSB, bigmike!!!!!

Yes! I installed the USR Modem you recommended. I paid $78 for it, because the $35 model was infact a winmodem. Installation as smooth as butter. From out of box to getting on line: 9minutes tops.

The downside: Hangtime still present. Removing the line splitter is the only thing that eliminates *some* hangtime. Can still only play video from Quicktime and WinMedia. Can only play audio from Realplayer - noticed "Video Settings" button greyed out(non-accessible), so I'd better check just what I downloaded as far as Real is concerned.

The upside: Page resolution very fast - 5sec. top. Dial-in also fast 'n smooth, consistently 50,000 - 52,000 bps. =)
Once I pointed a few other applications toward the USRobitics, all was smooth.

Any suggestions regarding the >downside< paragraph?

Thx
-Chris
"who no long has a Wimp(win-)modem in his Gateway!"

Old 07-11-01, 07:14 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Jackofalltradez, At this point if Gateway tech couldn't get me going on the phone configuration wise I would insist on a format/reinstall and if that didn't work let them have it back. If you can get to a Gateway retail store and make some noise they should work it out....Mike

Old 11-01-01, 05:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Jackofalltradez, I noticed that it has been a few monthes and I am just curious whether you have found a solution for your problem or not. I have a similar(?) problem--after moving into our 'new' old house from an apartment, I notice that my internet connection speed becomes really low, according to the indicator in the system tray, from 50K down to less than 30K. And that happens to my laptop too. The settings in the computers are the same as when I was in apartment. I suspect it is the wire quality issue--the house is about 50 years old. Above that, there is a security system installed and the phoneline entering the house run through it first. I am trying to figure out the cause in my case and suspect the security monitoring system might play a role here, though I don't have any hard evidence yet. Apparently in your case, wiring is one of the reason, but aside from that I would try your new computer (if you still have it) at another place to see if the modem works, just to get a feeling about the computer. I doubt winmodem would be the reason for your problem. Also I don't know if you also have some security system sit in the middle of you phoneline. I am planning to somehow bypass that security system in my house and test again. If it is possible, could you let me know the situation in your problem now?
-LG

Old 11-01-01, 11:44 PM
Leeeeee really slooooooow :)

From the sound of it yes you may have line problems in your "new" old home. Ought to have the pheaun provider come out and check the lines - screw what they guarantee - 9600, etc. Get your 50,000 back!

As for mine, the problem ended up being that I had about a dozen protocols and virtual connections in the stack under:

START > Settings > Control Panel > Network Applet. Clicked the tab "Configuration" and found protocols for my LinkSys network adaptor and every other adapter on the planet. Deleted those protocols, and computer looked straight at the dial modem instead of spending 60 secoonds a piece at those other connections.
Problem solved, and a belated thanks once more to everyone who put in 2c here!

God Bless,

-Chris

Old 11-05-01, 11:07 AM
One consideration.

You likely have too low a signal with the phone line split into three connnections. Ususally a phone line coming into a house can support a total of five extensions, whether or not the device connected is in use. If it is there, it loads the line.

Extra protocols loaded in the Start- Settings- Control Panel- Network under dial up adapter properties will slow things down as windows tries to resolve them all. Usually, you need only TCP/IP.