Computer Won't Start

Old 06-25-01, 01:22 AM
Pat Fox
Visiting Guest
Question

I usually leave my computer on all the time except if we are having a bad storm. The last few times I had to shut down my computer, it would not start up again, I got the Trident symbol up in the top left hand corner of the screen and this is far as it went. I had to reboot it to get it to come up and the last time this happened I had to reboot it twice. When I go to start, shut down and then restart, I don't have a problem, it is only if I shut it off. I would appreciate any advice you can give me as there are instances where I do have to shut the computer completely down. Thank you in advance. Pat

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-01, 06:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Whilst Jawas munched on stormtrooper helmets in the Tatooine desert, Pat Fox stated:

"When I go to start, shut down and then restart, I don't have a problem, it is only if I shut it off.."

Tell me you didn't attempt to shut off your PC like a lamp. At least that's how your statement reads. You should always utilize START > Shutdown > radio button option "Shutdown" when shutting your system down, no exceptions.

If a program locks up the whole system, press Ctrl + Alt together, and type Delete. Task Manager will popup, and you can "End Task" or safely "Shut Down" from there. (You can tab between options if Mouse frozen)

Tell us if you are using Windows 9x, NT, etc.
Was computer recently bumped? - loose video card.
Can you hear fan(s) running when you power up?

These things are important for us to point you to the quickest fix.

Regards,

Chris

Old 06-25-01, 02:00 PM
Pat Fox
Visiting Guest
Hi Chris, I am sorry I was not clear in my original post, I shut my computer down by going into start - shut down. I hope I can answer your questions, I am afraid I am not user friendly, but am slowly learning. I am running Windows 98 with and Pentium II Processor, the computer has not been moved in the last year so it has not been jarred in any way. I have not noticed any unusual noises in regard to the fan but I am afraid to shut it down to check just in case it won't come back on at all. Also, I am not having any problems with the computer freezing up once it is up and running. I really appreciate your help and if you need any more information just let me know. Pat

Old 06-25-01, 07:07 PM
At this point I'd rather have your machine than the brand new Gateway I have. The hangtime when opening applications and esp. the internet is so annoying. (Hangtime means you wait 3 minutes after typing an internet address before going there).

Is your computer a tower or desktop model(sits under monitor)? If it's a tower I can guide you around in there to make sure everything is properly seated - Just remember a tower is usually very spacious and you could lose your cat in there if you turn your back to the 'puter. : )

Basically you have a large flat green board about 8x10 inches - that's your motherboard or, main board. Attached to it vertically are a bunch of "cards" - memory, video, modem, soundcard. Having your PC on full time generates a lot of heat and sometimes that heat can cause "creep" to occur due to expansion - cards slip out of sockets just enough to lose the connection.

Basically, if it is upright and sticks in the motherboard, gently press down on it to make sure it is in tight. Please print this out and shut your computer off before opening the case! Screws are located on back.

Memory chips are typically 4inches long by 1inch high - little green things with black "warts" all over them. A loose memory could cause your PC to not boot at all.

Most other cards(video, modem, LPT(That's printer)) are 4-5 inches long by 3 inches high. Gently press down on them.

Boot PC up. If it boots to Windows a little faster than before, and without hanging in BIOS(Trident symbol you saw) you did your job. Power down and close up the case.

Good luck,

Chris

Old 06-26-01, 03:44 AM
Pat Fox
Visiting Guest
Hi Chris, Mine is a tower, I am going to try your suggestions, keep your fingers crossed, I will let you know how it works out, if it starts up again. Thanks again for taking the time. Pat

Old 06-26-01, 04:31 AM
BSB
One more item to check is your battery. How old is the current one? if it has ever been replaced. Typicaly the cmos battery lasts from 3 to 5 years, depending on how much the system stays off.

Brian

Old 06-26-01, 09:24 AM
Good call BSB.

The CMOS Battery is silver, the size of a nickel. It's mounted on the motherboard. Press on one side of the battery, opposite side will flip up, removing the battery.

Take it to RS or any reputable computer repair shop for a match. They will test it for you and sell you a replacement.

-Chris

Old 06-26-01, 10:08 AM
BSB
Normaly when the cmos battery goes dead you cant boot at all, gives you a boot error, but I have seen it do some whacky stuff when the charge starts to drop. Yeah, normaly its an oversized watch battery,unles you have an old 486 MOBO then it looks like a short AA soldered onto the board.

Also use dkerr's advice and write down the info in your cmos setup, when you pull the battery out it will dump all info and you will have to rebuild your cmos settings before starting up.

When the system boots it will say type "what ever" to enter setup. You will have a few secs, usualy miss it as soon as the mem test is complete.

brian