faster modem dial up

Old 06-27-01, 06:13 AM
BSB
I thought I saw a post about modem taking too long to dial number. Since I can't find it, will post a possible solution here.

Faster Modem Dialing (Windows 9x/Me) Popular
Category: Tips and Tricks > Windows 95, 98 & ME
Waiting to long for your modem to dial? This tip lets you reduce the time it takes your modem to dial, and increase your overall modem connection speed.

Open Control Panel -> Modems, select your modem and click on Properties. Select the Connection tab, and click on 'Advanced'.

In the text box that is labeled 'Extra Settings' at the following text (without the quotation marks) 'S11=40'.

The number specified after S11= (in this case 40) is the time for each tone in milliseconds. Lower numbers equals faster dialing. If your having problems connecting try increasing the number until it works.

Note: This may not work as planned in some countries and with some modems.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-01, 11:30 AM
sciguyjim
Visiting Guest
faster modem dialing

I've made the "extra settings" change suggested by BSB and the dialing is faster. I don't know about overall modem throughput though. However, I heard that the fastest tone pulse useable by the phone system is 50 milliseconds so the change should read "s11=50".

Old 06-30-01, 01:49 PM
BSB
I actualy cut and pasted this information. I just happened to stumble upon it like I do with so much other stuff. The only way I know how to improve modem performance is:

1) get cable or dsl!

2) adjust your MTU (either manualy in the registry or with a program such as tweakdun) I forget the optimal values.

3)Allocate 4096k of memory to the irq # the modem is using in the win.ini file under 386enh (i.e irq5=4096) (or irq6=4096).

Brian

Old 06-30-01, 03:06 PM
sciguyjim
Visiting Guest
irq #

Please explain more about these irq numbers. What are they? Why do you say irq5 or irq6? Why not 1 to 4? I don't have entries for these under 386enh or anywhere in the sys.ini or win.ini files. I've got my modem adjusted ok. My biggest problem is this computer is about 8 or 9 years old and needs more memory but there is no place to plug more in. It only has 32Meg of RAM. It's seriously starving for memory.

Old 06-30-01, 03:45 PM
BSB
IRQ= INterupt ReQuest.

There are 16 Irq's in your Pc (0-15) many are propriatary (sp?) Irq 7 is almost always Lpt1, 12 is ps port for mouse.
15 and 14 for onboard IDE controllers. etc, Every device needs an IRq to operate. Com 1&3, share an IRq, as do 2&4.
If you have 2 devices sharing an IRQ one of them will not work. Open up your system under control panel and right click on the pc (top of your devices tree) then click on view by or properties and select irq. It will list all of your Irq's and what devices are using them. there will be a few using the same irq, (ide controllers, primary and secondary)

You wont find any under 386enh because windows dont put em there, they have to be inserted manualy. I use irq5 or 6 as "pulled out of the air" examples. You can usualy change the irq settings for most of your add on cards, but let windows sort it out, and only worry about it if there is a problem.

you must be using Simms for mem if your pc is that old, since dimms are now so cheap there is no reason not to be sporting atleast 128 or 256mg of mem.

You can go to http://www.whatis.com to learn more about irq and others you can think of.

Brian

Old 07-06-01, 07:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Better performance with a modem

Hello, goto

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

and run the little applet test. It will give you suggestions on what to set to tweak your registry for faster download and overall performance useing a modem or cable or wireless. I tried it and the new settings work great. You will have to download a little program called drtcp019 to make the new settings, they are in the tools section. Greg.

Old 07-06-01, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
BSB:

What is the "MTU" setting you recently mentioned, and how do I access it?

-Thanks,
Chris

Old 07-07-01, 08:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Run the applet test at http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
You will need a small
program called drtcp019
to set the tweaks for you modem that goes to the resistry.
you can e-mail me and I will send it to you. It is small, like 348K. When you run the test it will say hit the results
button, then you will enter the kind of service you have and your operating system, then the page will come up with the suggested tweaks, thats where you open the drtcp and enter the settings in the drtcp box, like the time stamping, mtu, rwin etc... set your rwin at 8030 for windows 95, 98 or 98 second edition, for ME I think it is 17000 Greg. My e-mail is [email protected]