Windows 10 S Mode

Old 10-29-21, 01:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Windows 10 S Mode

Got a new ASUS laptop but noticed Window 10 is S Mode and searching I found there are good/bed things about S mode.

Good I understand is the OS is much more faster because MS can control it much better. Iím sure I can do the same by doing my own housekeeping.

Bad I understand is that you canít install any apps which arenít included in MS App page. Thatís very bad because I want to have the freedom to install what I want like I did before.

I also understand that I can switch out of the S Mode when I register but I canít go back to S Mode, Would it cost me more to switch out?.

I havenít open the box yet because first I want to find out what I got (it was written Windows 10 and nothing about S Mode)

What is your opinion with Windows10 S Mode?

Old 10-29-21, 03:13 PM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
It doesn't cost anything to switch from "S" mode to "normal" mode. Personally, I wouldn't want S mode, as I want the freedom to install whatever software I want to use, not just what MS thinks I need. However, since it's easy & free to change modes, I wouldn't let the fact that it comes in S mode to prevent me from purchasing it, if everything else is satisfactory.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-29-21, 05:49 PM
Thanks Bob, I will get rid of S mode
Nicolas

Old 11-28-21, 01:22 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same dilemma

Hi, I bought Acer laptop and installed/upgraded to Win 11 S mode. Will I have to buy and install an antivirus program if I switch out of S mode to "normal"? Or will the installed Microsoft antivirus program still work?
Thanks, Danigo

Old 11-28-21, 01:41 PM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
I believe windows 11 come with Microsoft windows defender. That would still be there and work after going to regular instead of s mode.

Old 11-28-21, 02:01 PM
D
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Old 11-28-21, 06:04 PM
Hi, I bought Acer laptop and installed/upgraded to Win 11 S mode. Will I have to buy and install an antivirus program if I switch out of S mode to "normal"? Or will the installed Microsoft antivirus program still work?
Thanks, Danigo
Windows 10 always had the Defender and I will assume that Windows 11 does the same if not better. I donít have Windows 11 yet but I plan to get it after the holidays.

Iím happy I got out of the S mode and regarding any antivirus programs thatís a personal choice which we all have to make. What I say below is my personal choice and your choice may be different.

I have been using PCís since the mid 80Ēs and I never had any antivirus programs installed. In fact, the first thing I do on any new PC I get I remove the 30 days ďfreeĒ trial of McAfee program. That been said Iím always careful which sites I visit, what I click on each site, careful which email I open, and always checking if there are any new files on my root drive and start up folder. I also make sure that all MS updates are up today and that in the Settings\Update & Security\ the Windows Security page is all up today. Iím in the habit of regular backing up my personal files on a USB plus all my disks. Perhaps I have been lucky but so far I have been very happy with what Iím doing.

As mentioned, how you decide to protect your PC is a personal choice and I wish you good luck with your new Acer..

Old 11-29-21, 06:05 AM
H
Received 260 Likes on 222 Posts
Agree on using Windows Defender as the native / integrated antivirus that's "always on".

However, I'd suggest the free version of Malware bytes as a double check when downloading updates - CCleaner, Acrobat, the occasional Firefox installer, OR when you do have a .PDF as an attachment.
There is ONE TWIST with Macrium free/trial ignore the 'nag screen' that the trial period has ended / please upgrade- you can just close the nag screen and Macrium will continue to work and continue to update to newer versions and newer virus definitions.

Old 11-29-21, 10:20 AM
D
Thanks a lot Kolias & Hal_S for your input and suggestions. I'll switch it off and hopefully it will work to my satisfaction.
​​​​​​

Old 11-30-21, 04:02 PM
D
So I switched off S mode and so far it works like a charm. Thanks again!

Old 11-30-21, 04:10 PM
H
Received 260 Likes on 222 Posts
Great to hear- quick make a full Macrium disk image of it working. Always helps to have a baseline.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: