Upgrade to Win11

Old 12-04-21, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 321 Likes on 255 Posts
Upgrade to Win11

There was a message on my laptop today that an upgrade to Windows 11 is ready for my PC.
Has anyone upgraded yet? I will upgrade sooner or later, but wondering if anyone has upgraded and had any problems.

Old 12-04-21, 12:28 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,622 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I have Windows 11 running on one laptop. I have not had any problems. It is annoying that they have changed where some things are located and what they look like. The "start menu" is where I notice the biggest change.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-04-21, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
Okay, thanks PD. Might as well do the upgrade then. I don't like when you need to get used to things being different, but I guess we get used to it eventually.

Old 12-04-21, 05:40 PM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I did a clean install of Win11 on a different partition. As PD stated, it is different, particularly the Start menu. You'll also find that some of the Settings menus are different. The only real problem I ran into is with an add-in SATA card. The MS driver worked fine in Win10, however in Win11, whenever I did a "Scan for hardware changes" in Device Manager, Windows would lockup & freeze. Ultimately, I found a driver from the chipset mfgr, and that solved the problem.

I would strongly suggest that you make an image of your Win10 installation using Macrium Reflect or equivalent before upgrading to Win11. As you probably know, you have 10 days to rollback to the previous version of Windows before you can no longer do so. Having a backup image gives you more time to "play" with Win11.

Old 12-05-21, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
I've never used Macrium Reflect, so I d/l it. Seems simple enough, but I don't have an external drive or a second drive for that matter. Can a flash drive be used? I have one that's not as large as my drive but has more space than what my laptop actually uses, or does it have to match your drive size?

Old 12-05-21, 01:49 PM
Most backup software (Macrium included) compress the backup file. Depending upon how much you have installed and what type of files (compressed files don't compress any appreciable amount) you have will determine how large the backup file will be. However, the resulting backup file will always be smaller than the data you backed up. I made several backups at various stages (install a couple of apps, backup, install more apps, backup...). As I recall, the backup of just Win11 by itself (no apps) was under 8GB. And yes, you can backup to a flash drive.

You appear to be very computer literate. I'm surprised you don't have an external drive to backup your data. You never know when something will happen that will cause a catastrophic loss of data.

Old 12-05-21, 06:34 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
FWIW, I don't like to be leading edge when it comes to software so I would put this off for a while in case some driver or program I use isn't immediately compatible.

Old 12-05-21, 09:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,570 Likes on 1,408 Posts
My dad clicked upgrade on his laptop and it goofed up his microphone... there was no way to get it to work, and they need it to video conference on Zoom. So I Uninstalled 11 and reverted back to an earlier restore point. Microphone worked again on windows 10.

Typically you don't want to be among the first to upgrade.

Old 12-06-21, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I had concerns about upgrading at this point. Why I asked. I think I'll hold out a little longer.

Bob14525, my first computer was completely DOS, so I learned all I could early on and continue to take an interest.
I used to have a backup drive, but then I subscribed to Office, which includes One Drive, so I do have a backup. A few years ago when I got this laptop, I dreaded having to reinstall everything, but when I first turned it on and had to sign in to my Microsoft account, everything was already there, even passwords. Didn't have to do a thing, so I kind of like it even tho it costs money.

Old 12-07-21, 06:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Win 11 videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxF-pQSzSUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWOlJKnwFHM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt3zvY7KzYs
The first is some issues found, the second is a comparison of 10 to 11 and the third is a list of reasons NOT to upgrade.

Old 12-08-21, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks for that! Well that was very helpful. So I think I'll hold out a while. Doesn't seem to be any rush.

Old 12-25-21, 02:26 PM
P
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whenever a new top-level OS comes out I've always waited for a year (maybe 1.5 years) or until a major update came out (like from Win 8.0 to Win 8.1 or 8.2), then I go for it. That way most of the problems have been eliminated.

Old 12-26-21, 08:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I’m in line to take the dive to win11 most likely this week, why wait? If things go wrong I understand you can go back and if that doesn’t work I have a Macrium image of my root drive.

I suspect if you have an older PC you may have to find drivers for some hardware otherwise I’m sure win11 will have most recent drivers covered.

Old 12-27-21, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
I usually dive right in too. It's just I keep reading about potential problems and decided to ask first. It's a laptop and probably two maybe three years old (I forget when I got it) so don't think it's too old or anything.
I'll probably just wait a few months then upgrade. When I do, will post back with results.

Old 12-27-21, 09:09 AM
H
Received 260 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadeladie
I'll probably just wait a few months then upgrade. When I do, will post back with results.
#1 interesting option - you can apparently run Win11 as a Virtual Machine- you can "test drive" Win11 on the existing machine, and if it crashes, it just crashes a window.
TANGENT- this IS another benefit of Macrium, if you have an old computer with software that you can't re-install (e.g. Win98 or XP) then you can make a Macrium backup, and then "load" that old computer and "run" it on a newer computer (sorta "The Matrix" for computers- where your OLD slow computer is running on a simulation of old computer hardware, which is created by a NEW faster computer.)

#2 interesting option - DUAL / USB / SD BOOT. Most laptops will support a "dual boot" where, if you have an EXTRA 30GB of hard drive space, you can reversibly partition it into a 30GB logical disk, then install Win11 on the disk, and dual boot to see whether Win11 works.
Further, some laptops can boot from USB drives, or even SD cards. Which means, you can download and install Win11 onto the USB / SD and check it out without changing your current hard drive at all.

Old 12-27-21, 10:07 AM
Shadeladie: nothing wrong to wait, I would have done the same, however now I have the time and decided to go ahead with it. Time is not only to install win11 but what comes after the installation which means to learn what’s new and find out what/how you can change whatever you don’t like. 3-5 years old laptops are not old.

Hal_S: Virtual Machine / Tangent / Dual Boot are fine but still doesn’t give you the “feel” of the real thing. Just my opinion…..

Old 12-27-21, 06:51 PM
The time was tonight and that’s what I did:

First I got an image of both my C & D SSD’s with Macrium. I’m sure Windows will not touch my D where I keep all personal files and programs but I did it just in case.

Then I went to PC settings/Update and Security and I click “see if win11 is ready”. I click on it and then I got 2 options: Windows11 or Stay in Windows 10. I click in Windows 11 and it said “Windows 11 is downloading, we will let you know when it’s ready”. Took about 55 minutes (I don’t have fast Internet because I’m happy with the STD).

Then looking on the windows “Windows Update” you can see the download/install progress. For the install it took 25 minutes.

Then Re-start & Re-Boot twice and it was all done.

My first impression is good. The Start menu is in the center now but I don’t care very much because I have “ClassicShell” which said it needs to configure itself for the new system, I said OK, and now it is as before. Also in the File Explorer the fonts are small and faded but I use a utility “advchnage.exe.” (I think I got it years ago from the Windows Club Forum) and using it I changed the fonts size and it’s like before. All my shortcuts are still in the taskbar like before but in the center and I remember there is a way to move all to the left which I will do.

Old 12-28-21, 07:11 AM
H
Originally Posted by kolias
Hal_S: Virtual Machine / Tangent / Dual Boot are fine but still doesn’t give you the “feel” of the real thing. Just my opinion…..
Agreed that virtual machine / running of USB drive won't give you the same feel, BUT if you have a large enough hard drive, dual boot DOES give you a 'normal' installation, and gives you a feel for how the OS works.

I did this years ago when upgrading an old Dell 5150 from 512Mb/Pentium4 to 4Gb/PentiumD, to check what the difference in performance was under Win10-32bit versus Win10-64bit. Made it easy to benchmark between the two by simply choosing which OS at start up.

HOWEVER, given Win11's requirements for a secure boot hard drive, it might not work on a laptop with a single physical hard drive, because (my guess is) Win11 wants to a secure hard drive that it controls, so I'd further guess Wion11 may not "play well" with dual boot off of a single physical drive.

Last edited by Hal_S; 12-28-21 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-28-21, 02:57 PM
Hal, you can install Win11 on a different partition on the same physical drive as Win10. I run Win10 as my primary OS, but created a separate partition on the same drive to do a clean install of Win11 so I could get some experience with Win11. It installed fine.

Old 12-28-21, 05:49 PM
H
Originally Posted by Bob1425
Hal, you can install Win11 on a different partition on the same physical drive as Win10.
Ah, interesting! IIRC the basic Win11 install is about the same as Win10 ~25Gb, so you probably need ~30Gb of space to create another logical drive.
I have run into laptops that get 'finicky' about boot-security, so 'your mileage may differ..' certainly applies.

One OTHER possibility for the OP, how hard is it to swap in the hard drive?

There is an AMAZING amount of variability to "how hard is it to take apart a laptop". On one extreme I've got an old Samsun NC10 netbook that takes 20 screws (SOME of different lengths- so you have to keep track of "which screw from where"), which I HATE to have to work on.
On the other extreme, I've got an old HP mini laptop that I use a 'diagnostic / troubleshooting' because in under 10 seconds, I can pull the battery, pop the back case off, and yank & swap in a hard drive.

So, now that 1 terabyte SSD drives are down to $89.99 in big box stores, (2.5 inch "pop-tart" drives) I'd consider getting a new SSD for the new OS.

I have found that if the question is "do you have a backup"? SOMETIMES the best answer is "Yes, here's a clone hard drive..."

Old 12-29-21, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
Just want to thank everyone for their suggestions and advice.

Old 12-31-21, 06:49 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts
I'm late to the party because I had nothing to add.
However, last Tuesday, the screen on the laptop I use in my 18 wheeler went out. I was forced to buy a new laptop. It has W-11 on it & I was dreading it cause I hate to deal with most new changes. But, after setting it up, installing all my software, deleting apps I dont want & all the fine tuning I do on a new laptop... I gotta say, I'm impressed & am happy with it so far. And..... the free games are back. Solitaire, minesweeper & some others.
It also comes with a new free video editor that has had good reviews. I haven't opened it up yet but I am hopeful that its simple & useful. I see several new apps that I am looking forward to trying.
I kinda like the new start menu the way its laid out & you can add & remove the apps from it, that you use a lot, just like your task bar or desktop. All hidden away for a nice clean look but very accessible with one click & without having to wade through 100 other apps etc to find what you use often.

You just gotta turn off that "S" mode thing, to install any apps, programs etc that isn't MS approved.

Old 12-31-21, 07:18 PM
I’m with you on that one Dixie2012, Win11 could not have been any easier and since I’m happy with it I already deleted the old Win10 folder from my C:\ to gain back the 25GB space it was using. Feels like Win10 but much better. Yes taking out the S mode is a must in your case

Old 02-28-22, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Just an update. So my laptop went south and I just got a new one. This one came with Win11, not S mode tho, but so far I actually like it better than 10. I've found the changes either subtle or like them better. I haven't had any problem finding things or figuring things out. So far, so good.
Of course this came with it and wasn't an upgrade, so don't know if that would make a difference in my thinking, but I think I would go ahead with an upgrade if I could go back in time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: