howtodownloadfromdesktoptoemptyfolder?

Old 06-28-01, 03:41 PM
Hi: I just downloaded Paint95.EXE to my desktop AND It has everything in it (3dill's)mspaint and readme text! However after doing this I was told that i should have downloaded this to an EMPTY FOLDER Can i still do this from the desktop or do I have to UN-INSTALL and install to the empty folder. Never did this before? Any thought's? using Windows 98SE

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-01, 04:18 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
tomtom59, I have a folder called My Downloads(C:\My Downloads) that I send all downloads to so I know where they are. I have folders in this file for every download I do. I suppose that is what you heard about. After doing this you could just drop this paint file on it and give it a name. From now on when you download direct it to C:\My Downloads. This very nice to have when some download centers drop your d/loads alomost anywhere.....Mike

Old 06-28-01, 04:52 PM
howtofromdesktoptoC:\mydownloads?

Hi MIke: Thanks for the reply. IS it possible to drop a desktop file to C:\My downloads folder? AND HOW? TOM

Old 06-28-01, 04:54 PM
how to from desktop to C:\mydownloads?

Hi MIke: Thanks for the reply. IS it possible to drop a desktop file to C:\My downloads folder? AND HOW? TOM

Old 06-28-01, 06:21 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Good Evening, This is what to do. Right click START, click EXPLORE, highlight your C: drive and under file create a New Folder. Rename and this is your C:\My Downloads folder. Now click the Desktop at the top of the Windows Explorer list and drag the Paint icon to the My Downloads folder. If the file on the desktop contains an .exe file it is the program but if it has a shortcut arrow that is all it is. Create a new folder or rename the dropped file in My Downloads called Piant or whatever and you are set....Mike

Old 06-28-01, 06:33 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Rename the .exe to .ex_, drag and drop the ex_ to where
you want it, and rename it back to .exe . Reason being if
you try to drag and drop move an exe file, it doesn't
really, but just creates a shorcut where you drop it to.

Old 06-28-01, 07:37 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
.exe files will not move when dropped as such alone but when included in an entire folder/file will move with the rest of the files and folders. So my original advice stands and should work well. Thanks Gary, I really never thought about moving an .exe file alone but new it didn't work. Now if the need arises I know how. I wonder if the exe shortcut when clicked points to the original exe file and will execute. I have to assume it would....Mike

Old 06-29-01, 04:17 AM
in this case it does!

Hi mj: in this case it does! Thank 's to All TOMTOM

Old 07-02-01, 11:57 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Desktop

Open desktop folder, right click and <Select All> right click and select <Copy>. Open the folder you have created for this and "Right Click" <Paste>.