Linksys BEFSR41 problem

Old 06-29-01, 03:41 PM
Question

Hello to the group,

I have run into a networking problem. We have been on cable now for about a year and a half. Our first provider went belly up after about 9 months into the game leaving everyone to fend for themselfs, TV techs trying to cover for ISP techs. Finely @Home (Excite) came to town with a lot of rules, and a red Disk to pop into your CD and they will take care of the rest for you. The problem is @ Home or Mediacom dosen't allow you to network in your home. I thought $40.00 per computer was a bit stiff and besides since day one with cable I have had the Linksys allowing 3 computers to acess the Net until yesterday and then no one had access. I checked all machines for problems until I pluged straight off the Surf Board Modem into each one by its self. Here is what I first saw with (WINPCFG) The host name was changed of course, The DNS server was still the same address for the Linksys Default. The IP address was my Sticky Address given to me by an employee who let me know that with this IP number and a linksys I could have a network they could not see. The subnet mask has 128 instead of 0 at the end, and the default Gateway has the first 3 sets of numbers and a different last number is different almost the same as my sticky IP, this is where the the linksys default address would be. Now I know with the linksys out of the picture and two computers dead in the water that the numbers have to be different. Sticky I said you mean Static! Nope I mean Sticky and went on to explain in Latin. I said great just let me have some numbers so I can get my LAN up and working. So how did they do it? The linksys let's me access the set up pages on line so I know theres internet. With all the numbers still in place the only way any computer can go online is modem direct. Let's say a sticky is a static. Are there any numbers they could have changed to knock out a lan? Also I have never upgraded the Firmware at the advice of the Company not to up grade unless you are having trouble. I have tried every setting including changing numbers on the linksys and the network settings on each machine. Enable DHCP Diaable DHCP, Obtain IP address automaticaly specify IP address and all subnet mask, and DNS OH they gave me a computer number that I used above work group. I have power downed both Cable Modem and Linksys alone and together without success. I know this a simple fix, but my brain is running on caffine and auto pilot, I just can't believe it is something the ISP can do (Knock out a lan) a number change or maybe the linksys needs a firmware upgrade, or the linksys bit the dust. Any and all suggestions on how to get my lan back on it's feet will be appreciated. Marturo,

PS: Are there any test for the Linksys to determine if it is at fault?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-01, 02:32 PM
BSB
When the new company came to town and set you up on cable again, did ther request any numbers from you? Such as the MAC from your pc? (i doubt it, since the cable modem does the talking in between pc and ISp)

You said that the last octet of the mask was 0, but now its 128? (if used to look like 255.255.255.0, but now looks like 255.255.255.128?)

Can you access the network via modem with each machine? (seperately?) If so, do a winipcfg (from dos window or command prompt). Is the IP, subnet mask and gateway the same for all machines? If it is go into linksys setup and change the numbers to match the ones comming from the modem.

You should then be able to assign (sorry not familar with linksys setup screen) your ports and pc's to the linksys.
10.10.10.? is IP class for home networks.

Sounds like they just changed their subnet mask, all you should have to do is change the mask in the linksys to match the ISP. all should be good after that. If you set up your machines to use 10.10.10.? they can only see into your network as far as the linksys and not to each machine, or I should say it will look like only ONE machine. The 10.?.?.? is unaccessable from the internet. (if I were to link up with you to play arena I could not connect to 10.10.10.100 (or what ever) but would need the ip in the linksys. the linksys would then "route or switch" me to the apporpriate machine.

If push comes to shove, you can always install an additional NIC in one machine, install a proxy (winproxy) and use the machine as your server.

g'luck

Brian

Old 06-30-01, 06:31 PM
Smile Linksys BEFSR41 problem

Hi Brian

The company came to town and all anybody noticed was we were moving at speeds that we had only seen for the first 4 months of the old ISP. Then we got a CD and a note book called @ Home quickstart kit It contains a user guide for the @ Home Browser and reccomends you don't use another browser because you might not get the speed of their IE 5.5 based browser. I called our cable company to ask again about this one computer and extra charge for each computer on my Lan. The Rep told me that a lot of people did not want to install the disk, and then gave me my computer # customer ID. Then he gave me the sticky address and I set up the linksys with these #s and it worked well. I have to set up the other computers using the same numbers as #1 had and then they will connect straight from the modem. Yes every computer comes back from WINIPCFG with the same numbers. I dont understand the 10.10.10.? IP class for home networks. Is this the address that linksys tells you is for the linksys? Also used as the DNS server address. The computers were given the same address as the linksys except insted of ending with 1 they were 100,101,102 101 and 102 were set up to obtain IP address automaticaly. How does the subnet mask work? All the time we were with the other ISP the subnet mask was allways 255.255.255.0 Is it possable for the ISP to change this number to deactvate our networks? Our telephone company sells ADSL for $40.00 a month they allow networking now but while they will let you install the transponder yourself they charge $150.00 to have a tech install the modem that lets you go in with an R11 and come out with a R65 ethernet line to the linksys. What do you think of ADSL compared to cable? The tech that came out to install the $150.00 modem that they forgot to tell me about said I had a good signal, So that is as close as I got to ADSL. Is changing the subnet mask somthing cable ISPs do on a regular basis? If you set your router up to obtain address automaticly doesen't the subnet mask change to the new one? I can't get the linksys to work on the #1 computer at all and even though I am running Zone Alarm the linksys makes it a lot safer to be on broadband. I will try to change the Subnet Mask and set it up as before. All the lights that you can use for dianogistics of the linksys and Nic cards are all working correctly. If I install another NIC do I hook the out going ethernet cable to the linksys? Or does #1 become a proxy server for #2 & #3 This part I'm not clear on. Do I have to install two Nics to service two computers for #1 to act as a proxy. Isn't one reason for having the linksys to make it look as if you only have one computer, and let the linksys give # 2 & # 3 access to the net by asigning an IP address to the other computers on your network. Thanks Brian, Marturo
PS: I don't have a Mac address in the IP configuration box now.

Old 06-30-01, 08:29 PM
BSB
As far as I understand, Cable does not use DHCP hence your sticky ip address, (why they use the term sticky, I dont know, maybe to through the network guru's for a loop.)

Lets say you have an address to a hot night club in town,(your ip address) and you have to take a certain street to get there, (your defauld gateway) but the bouncer at the door says you do not have the right credentials (Subnet mask) you cant get in, no matter what you do. (hows that for laymans terms? hehe)

The subnet mask works hand and hand with the ip address, it alows many networks with different subnet masks to have the same ip address with out conflicting with each other.

For the most part most ISP's keep there subnet mask for ever, and never change it. Unless they restructure there network and find it benificial to change the mask. this is most likely their scenerio.

Rather then let the linksys get the ip address information I would put it in manualy, and keep your pc's on auto get.

when using a PC as the internet server, you need a hub or switch, and an additional NIC for the internet server pc. you program the main NIC to the cable information and set the other NIC as point of contact for the other pc's. that is where the ip address of 10.?.?.? comes in. Lets say your isp assigns to you an address of 207.205.93.155, subnet of 255.255.255.128, and defauld gateway of 207.205.65.101. Your second nic would have an ip of 10.10.10.100, SN of 255.255.255.0, and gateway of 207.205.93.155, since you want traffic to leave your server from the internet nic. your other pc's could have 10.10.10.102, 255.255.255.0, 207.205.93.155, and 10.10.10.103, 255.255.255.0, 207.205.93.155. You would need to have a proxy running on your server aswell so that the server knew what to do with the traffic it was recieving from the other pc's. (this is a major pain in the rear, which is why the linksys is SO nice)

If you ended up using one pc as a server you could also use a dhcp program to automaticaly assign address to the other NICS, you only need to provide your ip info on the 1st NIC to get to the isp and a range of address to use.

Ip address that begin with 10.?.?.? and 192.?.?.? are special use ip classes, they cannot be routed outside of your intranet when you ping these ip class addresses you will always get destination net unreachable.

If you are thouroughly confused I dont blame you. I am. hehe. your easiest by far choice is to try to get the linksys operating again.

G'luck

Brian

p.s. to get your mac from winipconf type winipcfg /all
I think it will do the same as ipconfig /all.

Old 06-30-01, 08:38 PM
BSB
oh yeah, cable and dsl? I am only familar with dsl on a personal basis, and cable from reviews. I do know that dsl is "more secure" then cable since you get a new ip address each time you log onto the server. its true that dsl and cable are "always up" but dsl is only connected when you log on, if you leave it will time out and disconnect you from the server and drop your tunnel. Both should have some sort of firewall protection. Also dsl can promise a minimum speed, if it drops below the company must take measures to fix the problem. Cable on the other hand is much like a companies network, the more users on at any given time, the slower the connection speed. Cable is shared, dsl is dedicated. you have 2 sides of the same coin prety much and both sides argue that there side is better more reliable then the other..

Brian

Old 06-30-01, 10:20 PM
Linksys Blues

You are right Brian, if you could see my face I look like that guy on the comercial where the boss is explaining how to set up the company network. Then he says and now for the hard part <) I tried everything of course that's not true or I would have it up and running. One thing I noticed was in the host name space in the IP config box when I am trying to work through the linksys setup it is my computer name the #s & letters they gave me. Now when I hook direct from the modem and set the network settings on the PC to obtain automaticaly there is my computer name followed by my name,city,state & home.com with a plus sign over a minus that I could not write with my keyboard. I did notice above where the mac address is there is a drop box for subnet mask and 255.255.255.128 was there with a lot of other 255 combos. I guess that it was just luck, but all I ever had to do was reset the linksys after unpluging it and the modem after a storm. One thing it may not be important. All computers have linksys nic cards in them and of course set up on TCP/IP However If I lost internet I would go to WINIPCFG and hit more info and where everyone else had the name of there cards I had PPO/PPE or something like that. I would then click the drop box and there was my linksys card number I would choose it and from there I would hit release all and renew allthen the right numbers would come back and I was off and running. It has allways seemed that I could get and keep the network up but never be able to tell you what I did. This is different and feels deliberate. I can call tommorow and ask for help with my network and if they pitch a fit I guess that's why they call the linksys Etrerfast Cable/DSL Router. So you say that the slow down that happens with dial up and Cable won't happen with ADSL. Who is your ADSL provider? I would have Bell South at first and they are at the bottom of the bucket in ratings but Earthlink will be here within the year and there I think on top. Marturo

Old 07-01-01, 03:03 PM
BSB
I dont have dsl yet, still stuck with pots. Bellsouth may be installing a miniram near my house in august, but I doubt it, will be forced to go with dish networks satalite link for internet access faster then 56k. Since I am at work right now, I cant say what ISP is better. (Bellsouth says I cant recommend one isp over the other. he!) I am not keen on loosing my $9.95 service from wt.net, but for the faster speed I guess I will have to. Most adsl is limited to a min speed of 256k downstream with a max of 1.5m down. For the most part it usualy settles around 500k to 800k. during peak hours you may see your speed drop to 300 or 400k. I forget what the min up speed it.

I am all out of ideas for what to try next. But I would try to manualy input the ip information into the linksys cable router and let it give your pc's ip information.

bythe way, can you connect each pc to the cable modem and connect to the net? or just the one?

Brian

Old 07-02-01, 11:44 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Forest

Jeez ya'll don't over complicate something so simple... Can't see the trees because of the forest. I too am on the @home server. I have a four computer network setup and have for well over a year. Pick which computer you want as the "Server", buy another LAN card, install the drivers and setup a network via Win 98, MS Client For Networking. Real easy to do and plenty of support on MS website. More than one extra computer will require a Hub or as I am running a router. The only downside is the server computer has to be left on so the others can access the net. I am using and old 266 on an ASUS mainboard with nothing in it but a 4x cd rom and the LAN cards, and a 200 meg drive and 128 megs of ram. A 25 meg download takes about 2 minutes on all the machines, even the Palm.

Don't sweat life. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Old 07-05-01, 05:13 AM
BSB
Some times complication is the only way to get those dormant brain cells up and running.

Someone once told me that its no worth doing if its to simple. Still not sure if he/she was full of it or not.

Brian

Old 07-05-01, 06:10 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Flip

Sorry I did sound a little flip didn't I? I am not saying that getting the network running was easy! I had a fight initally, wound up being I had an identification on one of the computers wrong but I fought the bloddy thing for six hours before I walked away, came back and hour later and found the problem. I had a "-" out of place... Still have the self inflicted boot marks on my rear end!

Old 07-05-01, 07:15 AM
BSB
Actually I was aggreeing with you, I always seem to over complicate things. Always have, probably always will. But it always sounds so simple in my head, its when it comes out of my mouth or finger tips that it gets complicated. I think faster then I can speak or type, so a lot gets lost in the translation.

Brian

Old 07-05-01, 08:18 AM
Cool Hey guys remember me?

Hey Brian & BigMike

Marturo here. Don't sweat it I ended up learning enough from you 2s to put together with the help of others that @Home is weirdsville for networking. As far as the way we sound to others when we know the answers or have told others the same answers over and over again. That comes with the teritory. I first got behind a computer a Compaq 3 years ago, The emulation angered me so much I bult a box, well 2 of them just like I wanted. I Jumped right in and learned web page development with Frontpage 2000 while learning HTML. Jumped from analog to broadband over night and now I ride off into the land of Linux. So when someone asks me to show them how to set up an e-mail account it's all I can do to keep it in first gear. As a veteran of three decades of repairing everything from Motercycles to Porsche Race cars it's very hard to drop in Automotive and read the posts by people with troubles they can't get answers to, because as any good Wrench knows (it aint in the book) you need to test and test with a knowledge of how the systems work. So don't be hard on yourselves just keep doing the good work that you have been doing and remember it's not good enough to have the products around us get better and faster we must try to stay up with that wave of knowledge or we get left behind in the past and take it from me it's no fun to learn on the run. I have found that the more people I teach, the faster I learn so like the guy who posts in automotive (It wont start) I just send him a questionaire. Keep up the good work Guys. Marturo

Search this Thread