Installing WiFi on XP-PRO in VirtualBox

Old 01-16-22, 07:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Installing WiFi on XP-PRO in VirtualBox

In my Cinnamon 20.1 Desktop I had to re install XP-PRO inside a VirtualBox which includes the Guest Additions. All went fine and the XP works good but I haven’t been able to access the Host WiFi. In the VirtualBox Devices menu I have set the network to NAT or Bridged and even tried with setting nothing to see if there is a difference.

The Host WiFi works and inside the XP I use the WiFi Wizard, I went thru the process a few times but it doesn’t work (the Wizard works but I get no WiFi to access Internet). I tried other network setting connections on the XP but with no success. At the bottom right of the XP screen I see a network icon with a red cross over it and it says “cable unplugged” but the WiFi has no cables.

Kind of a mystery, I wonder if someone has some experience with VirtualBox to give me a hint of what else I can try.

Thanks

Old 01-16-22, 11:12 AM
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Initially to test, leave it at NAT.

Try running this command at cmd for the host and guest and see if both are enabled.

netsh interface show interface

Also when you installed VirtualBox, since it is on NAT, you do not need to check on the selection for Bridge. Keep it simple first.

Old 01-16-22, 11:15 AM
If the guest is not enabled, then run this inside the guest, assuming your host (the main OS) has internet connection.

netsh interface set interface name="your connection" admin=ENABLED

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-16-22, 12:46 PM
Many thanks WRDIY, I will leave the Bridge out as you suggested

The Host and my 3 other laptops all have internet connection

I will do the commands sometime tonight

Old 01-16-22, 01:22 PM
One more thing Kolias. After you run the command for the Host (Main OS) and the Guest (XP-Pro OS),

netsh interface show interface

you should have the following for the Host and Guest:

Admin State = Enabled
State = Connect

If state is DisConnect for the Guest, then check the following in SysTray (picture attached).

Old 01-16-22, 03:20 PM
Please remember that the Host OS is Cinnamon 20.1 Linux

This is what I did: In Host running “netsh interface show interface” it says “netsh command not found.

In Guest running “netsh interface show interface” it says

Admin State State Type Interface Name

Enabled Connected Loopback Loopback

Enabled Connected Internal Internal

Enabled Dedicated Local Area Connection 3

Enabled Connected Dedicated Local Area Connection 4

In Guest at the bottom right corner of the screen I have an icon with red cross over it and says “cable disconnected”. In Host at the same place I have a typical WiFi icon (means WiFi = ON)

Hope I didn't forget anything, pls let me know
Thanks

Old 01-16-22, 03:24 PM
Noticed my table was not displayed properly. Here its a snip of it

Old 01-16-22, 03:58 PM
I am not on Cinnamon but basically can you connect to the internet with a browser (like Chrome, Edge, etc...)?

Your Host and Guest have to share the same connection since you are using NAT. Your last line in your picture looks correct for the Guest. Can you find the connections for the Host and see if it matches?

Two other suggestions:

First, exit Windows XP Guest and then go to the VirtualBox menu for "Network". Make sure only "Adapter 1" is checked and with NAT. You should expand "Advanced" and change the adapter type. This may resolve it.

Second, if the above does not work, hold off on the WIFI. Plug the laptop into the router, using an ethernet cable.

Old 01-16-22, 05:15 PM
I can connect to the internet thru the Host with no problem but not with the Guest.

I understand the Host/Guest must share the same connection with the NAT. The settings on the Host are kind of complicated because there many options and since I don’t know what I’m doing I don’t want to delete the WiFi on it.

But now you gave me an idea and I will try soon and post the results “First, exit Windows XP Guest and then go to the VirtualBox menu for "Network". Make …….”.

What do you mean “hold off on the WiFi”? Disable?

And plugging the laptop into the router with an Ethernet cable what this will tell me? I can’t do this tonight cause the router is behind the TV cabinet and it’s not a small job to move the cabinet but I can do it tomorrow.

Much appreciated

Old 01-16-22, 05:35 PM
Kolias, the only reason I offered the troubleshoot with the ethernet is because that is the most basic form of connection, straight to the horse's mouth.

I have not had Windows XP and Windows 7 inside Virtualbox Guest for years now but I am most certain when I had it in the past, I did not have to do any configuration inside the Guest OS. I have done this many times over and not once did I have to do any configuration inside the Guest OS for internet connection. It was plug-N-play. The only difference is my version is Enterprise whereas yours is Professional but I doubt that matters.

Good news is since you can connect to the internet through a browser from your Host, then most likely I would recommend focusing on the adapter that previously mentioned.

Old 01-16-22, 05:38 PM
And to support what I mentioned earlier Kolias, check this thread out:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=102689

"The default Intel Pro / 1000 is always slow and cuts out, I've been using PCnet-Fast III which works great on my system."

Old 01-16-22, 06:42 PM
It’s frustrating, I wanted to send you some settings pictures to understand better what we are talking about but taking snips in Cinnamon the file system is not the same as Windows and when I used my USB in Windows the pictures were not there.

Anyway I think I know now how to solve the problem thanks to your help but I need time and peace which I don’t have now (family members are over and stay overnight due to the coming snow storm). Are you in the Carolinas where this storm is developed?

So in the Host network window I now have 2 connections, one for the Host (which I know is working) and the other for the Guest. My questions to you are:

1:There is an entry for DEVICE in there for both. In the host this is a long alphanumeric number and I’m asking should I use the same number for the guest?

2: Can I copy all the settings from the Host and paste them in the window of the Guest, means the two connections Host/Guest will be identical.

BTW the link you posted is very useful, thanks

Nicolas

Old 01-16-22, 07:30 PM
Kolias, I am in California. Weather this week has been good here. Sorry to hear that you are facing a storm.

I think you don't need to copy anything. Since you have confirmed that the host can connect to the internet, using a browser, you only need to change to the correct adapter in VirtualBox settings. Check the attached pictures out. Test out each of the adapters in the third picture but that one that is selected (in the picture) is supposed to work with Cinnamon, based on that last link. With the correct adapter, it should provide internet to the Guest (Windows XP). In the second picture, I removed my MAC address for security reasons but you should be able to see a MAC address.

Again, make sure that Adapter 2,3,4 are blank and only use Adapter 1 as NAT.

Old 01-16-22, 08:55 PM
California?....lucky you, we have -24C here in Montreal….but I don’t complain

I already have Adapters 2,3,4 removed after our conversations

The pictures look very helpful, thanks,and only question is why you have selected “Cable Connected” in the second picture. I always removed that in my selections because to my mind WiFi doesn’t have any cables. I would love to hear the explanation. Does this mean actual cable connected somewhere?

My other mistake I was always selecting Adapter Intel…..something because I think my actual card is Intel. The one you selected will also make a big difference.

Now only remains to get some free time to do my work and I’m positive the problem will be solved thanks to you!

Much appreciated

Nicolas

Old 01-17-22, 09:39 AM
Good morning California

I do have some progress with the Guest but I was expecting better. At least the network icon in the notification area has no red cross and clicking on it says “Adapter 1 NAT Cable Connected” which is very good news but on the 2nd line it says “100 Mbps Local Area Connection 5”. And somewhere I noticed my IP address is 10.0.2.7 which doesn’t sound right.

I can’t find out why it says “Local Area Connection 5” and where the other 4 connections are. I also tried all the other Adapters in case 1 was better and Adapters 2,3,4, are blank

Nicolas

Old 01-17-22, 11:13 AM
Z
Received 87 Likes on 81 Posts
hi guys-

Here is some info if you don’t already have it. It makes my head spin.

https://www.nakivo.com/blog/virtualb...setting-guide/

I noticed my IP address is 10.0.2.7
Maybe buried in that link somewhere is the answer. I don’t see it right off the bat unless maybe somehow the setup thinks you have multiple VM’s as in the “NAT Network” example, where 10.0.2.7 is in fact assigned. But if I followed you guys a little it seems you are set up for the “NAT” example, not the “NAT Network”.

But I really don’t have a handle on all that information. I would have a long way to go. But seems like WRDIY is well versed in the stuff.

Old 01-17-22, 01:29 PM
It makes my head spin too zoesdad, networking has always been a headache for me especially when you deal with old OS’s.

The Complete Guide in the link you provided its true a very good tool to have for reference although difficult to grasp for people like us who know very little about networks

WRDIY seems to know well all about networking and I consider myself lucky for his help.

Old 01-18-22, 01:45 AM
I have been busy with work but checking this thread before bed.

Network is not my main area. I just use virtual environments a lot as my sandbox for development stuff. In addition, I am a big believer in virtual environments and aronis images for added securities. I have been using virtualbox for 11 years and have scripts that controls and automate everything.

With that being said, I usually can move my virtual images from one pc to another pc/laptop and it will still work fine with the internet but that is with Windows base host.

as for the checking of the cable checkbox, if I don't select it, it is equivalent to the first picture that I posted. There will be no connection.

Can you run an Ethernet cable to the router and see if that makes any difference as a start to narrow down if it is the Wi-Fi adapter compatibility?
​​

Old 01-18-22, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the short bio, quite interesting and challenging. I’m retired now, ex mech. engr in the pulp and paper industry – have visited every state having pulp/paper mills but no California (you have non). Last 12 years I was building CNC machines as a hobby (started by watching a dude making one in wood in a forum). I built my 1st in wood too and the rest I did them all with aluminum plate, 3ft x 4ft cut area with a variety of cutters. Now I’m making wooden clocks, getting the plans from a guy in California (Clayton Boyer). PC’s also my hobby, have 3 laptops (Win8, Win10 and win11 + the Desktop which gives me headaches now, lol. The Desktop I built it myself as a hobby about 15 years ago with top quality part. Last year I thought to scrap it but then decided to install Linux, I liked it and been using it to learn Linux etc.

Thought you gave up on me so last night I removed XP and re installed. Thought with what I learned from you a fresh install may do the trick but unfortunately no, results are the same. I found a thread someone had same situation like me. He suggests to install Firefox, and an Intel WiFi driver which I should install within XP and I plan to do the same today.

My modem unfortunately is in another room and the only way to do it is to remove it and bring it to my office but I’m afraid it will give me more headaches after because I will have to reconnect to the internet etc. too much of more headaches and trouble.

One thing you can give a hand, if/when you have the time: when I re installed XP I noticed there is a screen to connect to the internet with 2 options. One is typical and the other is advanced. The advanced screen is full of boxes to plug my network values and I have no clue what even they mean but there is nothing about WiFi. If you happen to know something about this advanced screen it will be of help. Re installing XP in VB it’s a breeze.

Thank you for all I learned from you and BTW my real name is Nicolas, what’s yours?

Old 01-18-22, 08:21 AM
Hi Nicolas

I did not give up on your situation. It is just that there is not much more I can think of because in the 11 years of using VB, usually it connects to the internet immediately as I have shared in my previous post. It is basically plug-N-play.

I think it is not your Guest because if you think about it when you install Windows on to a PC, there is no configuration needed to connect to the internet unless you use WIFI (SSID and password). But in this case, because it is NAT, it should be getting internet through the host.

Let me look into my notes because I log all of my challenges with VirtualBox over the last 11 years, especially I provide feedback on their releases.

Don't give up just yet. You are close. It is just something need to be altered or switched. Unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge on Linux.

As for your last paragraph, can you take a picture of it with your phone and post it on here?

Old 01-18-22, 09:11 AM
Thanks for your time, appreciated, but it’s not something urgent. I thought it was the Guest because when I try to connect to internet it says “looking for proxy”.

I can feel that I’m close to solve the problem and that’s why I persist

I will try to take a picture of that XP window sometime today and will post it

Nicolas

Old 01-18-22, 05:01 PM
Started a new XP-PRO install today and I will say the results after I mention this. I also have a XP-Home Edition DVD which I bought back in the 90’s. At that time it was suggested in some forums to re install windows to clean up un wanted files and of course I did it. How many times I never count them but later in a new re install I got this massage: “You have exceeded the max of 27 installation on this DVD and you can’t use this DVD anymore” I was stunt but it was true because that DVD, which I still have, when I tried to use it again all I will get was a black screen. So I should be careful how often I use the XP-PRO DVD.

Before the new XP-PRO install today I did some changes which I didn’t do before:

First, after I deleted the Virtual XP from the VirtualBox I went to the Linux file manager and deleted the directory of that installed because I noticed yesterday when I deleted the previous XP from the VirtualBox that directory and all it files remained in my hard disk and I felt maybe the new install will not override existing files.

Then carefully I checked in the Device menu all entries and found these items which I never select them before and now I did:

Support for DHCP

Support for IPV6

Advertise Default IPV6 Route

I also select the Bridged network because I found in my notes “Don’t use NAT, use Bridged network”. Last May I had installed this XP-PRO and it worked with Bridged.

During the install windows asked to configure network with the options Automatic or Advanced. Now I selected the Advanced and on the following screen it had 2 columns of input values with 5 items per column but I noticed on top of each columns it said “Let windows fill up the values” and that’s what I selected. However later it said windows was not able to configure the network.

I also found a thread saying to get access to internet to install Firefox and it had a link which took me to Mozilla’s site and found the XP PRO 32bit download but when I tried to install it in my windows it said “wrong version”

Bottom line, still no access to internet, it says can’t find proxy.......

Old 01-19-22, 12:10 AM
Can you take pictures of the SYSTEM and NETWORK sections of the Virtualbox and posts Nicolas?

Old 01-19-22, 10:16 AM
When I open VirtualBox and I'm at the "Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager" screen, I click on "Settings" and then I have the screen XP-PRO Settings. In that screen there are among others System and Network settings. Thats the ones you want? It will be difficult to take a picture of them because they are quite faded but will give a try

Old 01-19-22, 11:05 AM
I got these 2 pictures, hope thats the ones you want

Old 01-19-22, 12:57 PM
Just in case this may help, in the CMD I typed

Ping 8.8.8.8 and I got

For all 4 it said “destination host unreachable”

Packet: sent=4, received=0, lost=4(100%loss)

Old 01-20-22, 08:49 AM
Z
Kolias –

It looks to me that when you choose “Network” and “Bridged Adapter”, you are supposed to see a list of adapters on the Host and then you select the adapter that represents the physical adapter you want to use. The adapter “Intel Pro/1000 T Server” in your screenshot doesn’t appear to be the WiFi adapter on your Host. Maybe I misunderstand but I thought you were trying to use the WiFi network on your Host.

(Section 6.5 here https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch...etwork_bridged

has an overview.)

Old 01-20-22, 10:01 AM
My understanding is the adapters shown in that list are “software-emulated physical devices” and do not represent what I actually have installed in my Host. I got this info from the guide you posted earlier which I printed and read thru, a very good document to have.

So there are 6 emulated adapters which Oracle choose to represent any physical adapter installed in the Host otherwise with so many adapters out there each user would have to go and find the right adapter driver of his Host and install it and these drivers are huge to download 400Mb+ and kind of difficult to install when not connected to internet

Thanks for pointing out

Old 01-20-22, 04:35 PM
Z
kolias -

Yep - I am probably going off on a tangent. As you say, you can choose from 6 virtualized adapter types and they say an adapter can be set to one of several modes – “Bridged Adapter” being one of the modes. Then they say when you choose the “Bridged Adapter” mode , you will get a list from which to choose the Host physical adapter you want to use.

So for an adapter flagged as “Bridged Adapter”, what does the “Adapter Type” shown on the menu mean? If it’s one of the choices from the 6 provided virtual adapter types, then it can’t be the name of a physical adapter connected to the Host. But if instead it’s the name of a physical adapter connected to the Host, then where is the name of the virtual adapter type the menu entry represents?

Because of this I thought that you must infer that the Virtual Machine sees the Bridged Adapter as the physical adapter and there is no virtualization of another adapter type. But … that doesn’t seem right either.

I think I am lost – lol!!

This is from the link below. Some of the documentation in various places refers to “Bridged Network” other places “Bridged Adapter”, other places “Bridged Mode”. I think they are all talking about the same “Attached To” setting. Head hurts – lol. Who knows.

To enable bridged networking, open the Settings dialog of a virtual machine, go to the Network page and select Bridged Network in the drop-down list for the Attached To field. Select a host interface from the list at the bottom of the page, which contains the physical network interfaces of your systems. On a typical MacBook, for example, this will allow you to select between en1: AirPort, which is the wireless interface, and en0: Ethernet, which represents the interface with a network cable.
https://docs.oracle.com/en/virtualiz...k_bridged.html

Last edited by zoesdad; 01-20-22 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-21-22, 01:33 AM
Two things Nicolas

I am just really surprise that NAT and the PCNet-Fast III adapter did not work.

Anyway, if you going to try bridge, remember to reinstall Oracle VirtualBox with Bridge selection. On Bridge, definitely try out the adapter PCnet-FAST III.

The other thing that you can try for Cinnamon is go back on NAT and try Port Forwarding. It is in the first article that I linked.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=102689

Old 01-21-22, 11:17 AM
Z
hi –

(Hope you can read this.For some reason all tools Bold/Italic/ Attachments etc. not available when posting)

OK – my bad (post 29).The “Name” field actually contains the physical adapter name when using “Bridged Adapter” mode, not the “Adapter Type” field.

A little past the 5 minute mark the video linked below demonstrates “Bridged Adapter”. You can see that “Name” is actually the physical adapter on the Host machine, and “Adapter Type” selection seems to be grayed out - but contains some default .

So in your case Name=enp5S4 and so should be the physical WiFi adapter on your machine.
I don’t see why you can’t use “ipconfig /all” on both XP and Linux, and Device Manager, and see if your IP addresses show that your Guest machine is just one more device on the Host machine network. In Bridge Mode your Guest machine would get its IP address from DHCP on your router just like any other device on your Host network. Seems like the above commands should tell you something.

WRDIY knows this VirtualBox stuff and I’m just a newbie reading, but I agree, it seems like NAT should work without any trouble with the default settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEj42l4otNY

Old 01-25-22, 11:51 AM
Z
Hi kolias –

I’ve been trying to upgrade my brain and learn more about VirtualBox. One thing I noticed is that when you tried “Bridged Adapter” (post #25) your choice was a physical adapter named on the Host as:

enp5S4

- supposedly the name is decoded as follows:

en = Ethernet
p5 = pci bus 5
s4 = slot 4

Do you have a WiFi adapter and also an Ethernet adapter on your machine? If so were you trying to bridge to the Ethernet adapter and test things out with a cable? (I thought you were at one time but I can’t find that now in the thread.)

It seems that in the Host (it is Linux I think) you should see the physical name of the wireless adapter start with “wl” for wireless – not “en”.

If at post #25 you were actually trying to bridge to the WiFi adapter and use WiFi I think the setup was incorrect. But if you were trying to bridge to an Ethernet adapter on the machine that would seem to be OK.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: