WI FI password and smart tv's

Old 01-22-22, 07:10 AM
P
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
WI FI password and smart tv's

I am changing my Wi-Fi password in my homes secure network so I will change my computer my printer the phones the Chromebook. I am having trouble understanding if I need to change the password on my smart TV's. One is a brand new Samsung and the other is relatively new Sony. I was told that because they go through the cable box of Comcast that I don't have to change the password. I can see it when I go to a certain setting but there is no provision to change it. Does it just change automatically when I change it at the router or do I change it at the TV itself, if at all thank you.

Old 01-22-22, 11:05 AM
Z
Received 87 Likes on 81 Posts
Hi peterr Ė

It sounds like you are not using the WiFi interface on your TV and it so it is probably currently disabled via the HOME menu on the TV. Thatís probably why you canít change the password Ė WiFi is not enabled. Since you are not trying to connect the TV to a network you donít have to worry about enabling the WiFi network on the TV and providing a password.

I have a Sony Smart TV connected to COMCAST internet through my WiFi router. I also have a COMCAST cable box. The COMCAST cable box is just for cable TV channels. The box connects to a HDMI port on the TV. The cable box has nothing to do with networking.

Old 01-22-22, 12:33 PM
P
  1. Use the directional pad on your TV's remote and select Settings.
  2. Select General > Network > Open Network Settings.
  3. Choose your desired Wi-Fi network.
  4. When prompted, enter the network password and select Done.
  5. Select OK.
I follow this with the Samsung remote and it says my password and WIFI are ok but there is no place to adjust a password that I can see.
I am not too skilled and read your reply. Thanks for that. I don't quite get it all. 82 and disabled vet.
I run my Samsung from my Comcast cable box. I did not pair and simply use the Comcast remote.
We do watch Peacock and other third party which I think would be WI-FI right? It seems WI-FI is enabled as Samsung recognizes WI-FI. I am running out of resources. Samsung is a waste of time-hour after hour..
Does that mean if I change the router password I don't have to do the TV's like I do for phones, printer etc.?
That does not seem right.
Thanks
Peter

Old 01-22-22, 01:18 PM
P
After settings there is no general. The closest I can get to resetting a password is to go to my account and all the way to the right it says reset password. When I do and click on it it says we can send you an email or a text. When I clicked on email it said it would send it to my wife's Gmail account but I don't know what it's sending.
My tv is about 1+1/2 years old and has a Q like Q80.
Samsung is a real waste for info. I am leery to have them send an email because I don't know what is in it. I know I have WI-FI but now if I reset my router and all devices the tv will be unset as well as the other tv which says the same thing. That is a Sony and has the same menu as the Samsung.

Old 01-22-22, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 322 Likes on 256 Posts
My TV's have just automatically connected to my WIFI without having to enter a password.

The closest I can get to resetting a password is to go to my account
Which account are you talking about?

Old 01-22-22, 03:39 PM
Z
Hi peterr-

If you are streaming Peacock you are using WiFi and if you are going to change the WiFi network password on your router, then you will have to manually change it on your TV. So I think you are certainly going down the right path.

(I think those other passwords you are referring to are for other things and donít need changing.)

It sounds like you are at the right menu. When you see your Network name (e.g. NETGEAR28) in the list, and then select it, you should then see a password field displayed and you should be able to type in a new password.

Have you tried to enter a password? Did you hit enter while the password field is displayed. You should be able to enter a new password when you get to that step. You could enter the current password just to test.

For testing I enter a few characters to make sure I can type into the field, then I use the EXIT to just back out and ignore any changes to the password field. Sometime for testing I just type the whole password in and keep on going.

But my menus are different than yours. I have a Sony. But it sounds like you are at the correct place and should be able to enter a password.

Old 01-22-22, 04:29 PM
P
Thank you for replying and pardon my voice to text I am disabled yes I can reach my SSID when I click on it it says you can send me an email or a text I haven't tried that because I don't know what they're gonna send it seems like the old days have changed where you could see your SSID tap on it and it would ask you for a password I'll keep playing with it and if anyone wants to jump in who knows about a Samsung TV about a year I would appreciate your input thank you so much Zoesdad for all of your help I'll be back likely for some more advice I haven't exhausted somewhat resources like YouTube and forums once again thanks for all the help I'll let you know what goes on Peter

Old 01-23-22, 02:32 PM
Z
Hi peterr-

I donít know if this is your model but I found the manual linked below for a Samsung Q80a - and I am totally baffled. Page 9 looks like where you would view your WiFi Network information and view the password Ė and change it if needed. However, they donít even address that.

There is a ďManage Saved NetworksĒ choice at the bottom of the screen. But if thatís the path to view/change the password you would think they would make that clear in the manual. And I guess if it is the path you have probably tried that already anyway.

I am sure no expert on WiFi setup so maybe Iím missing something, but if that is your manual I think I can see why there might be problems. I think itís as clear as mud Ė lol. (But Iím no spring chicken myself Ė late 70ís. I find a lot of things not clear anymore Ė lol).

If I find something important Iíll post back.

https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...G_210709.0.pdf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: