Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Internet History

Visiting Guest

06-30-01, 10:08 AM   #1  
hhandkdad
I would like to know if there is a way to check the internet sites that have been visited by my computer after the time saved by the history has expired. I have reset the expiration time from 3 months to 12 months, but I would like to find out what sites have been visited in the months prior to when I reset the history. I have gone into Windows and checked the Temporary Internet Files, Cache and Cookies with little luck. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-30-01, 11:21 AM   #2  
bigmike
Well what I can think of is have you done a backup latley? When you delete something it doesn't always get erased, I have heard of software that will recover information deleted, damaged. Save the files in question to another partition, folder before you wipe the history files. You do know that the more cookies, history files, temp internet garbage that is stored inside Explorer the more likley the crash/sluggish will occur. That's why MS recomends dumping cache often.

Visiting Guest

06-30-01, 11:59 AM   #3  
hhandkdad
Thanks for the help. I'll try what you suggested. Take care.

WI

06-30-01, 01:12 PM   #4  
Unless you have formatted recently, the spider program I spoke of in a recent post will give you a text desplay of your comlete internet history, up untill the last time you formated. Don't click on the ambulance icon in spider unless you want to get rid of all your internet history. If you wish to save some of it, go to http://www.historykill.com you can select what cookies and url's to leave intact.

Sider is at http://www.fsm.nl/ward/ download the 1.16 version, if you get the 1.06 ver you can only view the information, cant delete it.

G'luck

Brian

Visiting Guest

06-30-01, 03:50 PM   #5  
hhandkdad
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I owe you big time! Take care.

Sue (hhandkmom)

Visiting Guest

06-30-01, 05:05 PM   #6  
bigmike
Spider

Hey BSB, give me a run down on the Spider program.

WI

06-30-01, 06:07 PM   #7  
Spider is hard for me to explain, so what I will do is paste the authers help page here so you can check it out. I rather like it, and it does a bang up job. However if you are surfing no no sites at work and do not have admin rights on your system it will not be able to delete the index.dat files that keeps all information of every website you have ever visited, reguardless of how many times you clean up your history and cookie files.

Enough of my rambling :

Subject: Hidden files which record user-activity.
Software concerned: Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0X for Windows 95 and Windows NT, Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0X for Windows 9X and possibly Windows NT, as a result hereof also Microsoft Windows 95 OSR 2.0 and greater, Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 (all SP). It is also reported to work with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0ß.
Author: Ward van Wanrooij - [email protected]

URL: http://www.fsm.nl/ward/
I have started my research after reading a webpage, which read that Internet Explorer records user-activity. I will present my findings here. I have conducted my research on Windows 95 OSR 2.1 using Internet Explorer 4.01. Internet Explorer 3 has similar behaviour, but its filenames and some details are a little bit different.
When one of the above mentioned programs is installed, there will be several hidden files in several directories, these files are called index.dat in IE4. The directory-names depend on the language version of the program. In the English version they are: <WindowsDirectory>\Cookies, <WindowsDirectory>\History, <WindowsDirectory>\Temporary Internet Files and underlying directories; if userprofiles are installed, then the following directories are also used: <WindowsDirectory>\Profiles\<Username>\Cookies, <WindowsDirectory>\Profiles\<Username>\History and <WindowsDirectory>\Profiles\<Username>\Temporary Internet Files.

These files (and directories) are hidden well. If, for example, the following DOS-command is issued:
C:\WINDOWS> DIR /A /S INDEX.DAT
then no files will be found. In most cicrumstances it also is not possible to rename or delete these files. When the user tries to do so, DOS confronts the user with the following error messages (I use a Dutch version, so they might be different): Divide by Zero or Double filename or the file is already in use. Microsoft Support explains this in Appendix A. and in Appendix B.

Al these files (screendump 1) start with the text Client UrlCache MMF. The same text can be found in the file <WindowsDirectory>\System\Wininet.dll (screendump 2). These files (index.dat) are maintained from Wininet.dll. However, this DLL is not necessary for Internet access, depsite it’s suggesting name: only Internet Explorer 4 needs it; Netscape Navigator 4.X not!
These files (index.dat) contain URLs and Cookies of websites previously visited by the user.

If the user tries to erase all traces of earlier visited web pages, by going through the following procedure: Start Inter Explorer, View, Internet Options, Clear History, Yes, Delete Files, Yes, Settings, View Files, Ctrl-A, Del, Yes, then the historic information remains in (at least) one of the (index.dat) files. This does not correspond to the explanation of Microsoft Support (Appendix), because earlier visited URLs do not have to be stored if the user clears the cache and history! Try the procedure mentioned here and then try the program which you can find at http://www.fsm.nl/ward/ .

Now the question remains:
why is this and what can be the consequences?
The link between the files and Wininet.dll could make us believe, that these files can be transferred when certain command are issued by the server. I do not want to speculate about the ‘why is this’-question, but I can think about some reasons. Fact is that a situation is created, whether created ‘by accident’ or ‘on purpose’, where the privacy of the user is at stake...

Here is another suggested solution :
http://hardwarehell.com/bootclean.htm

Brian

p.s. I have tried just about every other history wiper out there, history kill, cyberclean, file mutilater, file wipe, surfSecret, a lot, and spider is the most thourogh, and the least harmfull to the pc, most of the others seemed to add some quirk to the system when it was booted up, could be that its a crappy system, but nontheless, and it does not beat around the bush like the rest, its short and to the point, no filler, no garbage.

[Edited by BSB on 06-30-01 at 09:32]

Search this Thread