New laptop selection

Old 02-16-22, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 322 Likes on 256 Posts
New laptop selection

I'm in the market for a new laptop since mine just up and died. Two I'm looking at are similar, same sale price, but one has an Intel Evo Platform. Both have a 512 GB SSD, but the one without the Evo Platform also has a 32 GB Optane drive. Otherwise, the specs are pretty much the same.
I don't know anything about Evo or Optane. Is there an advantage to one over another?
Thanks.

Old 02-16-22, 03:23 PM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
From Google: Intel® Optane™ memory is a system acceleration solution installed between the processor and slower storage devices (SATA HDD, SSHD, SSD), which enables the computer to store commonly used data and programs closer to the processor. Intel Optane memory gains great advantages over SSD not only because it costs much less but also because it has better security and longer service life.

Evo is Intel's new platform for laptop PCs. It's not a new chip, it's a groundbreaking standard for chips, graphics, screens, connectivity, and other features. ... They also deliver up to 2.7x faster photo editing as well as super-sharp Iris® Xe and Iris Plus graphics. Evo laptops are the better Intel-U powered ultrabooks you will find in stores throughout 2021 and later. Expect these to be excellently crafted, perform snappily with everyday tasks, and last for many hours on a single charge, while also including the latest in terms of features and specs.

So, bottom line is they are both good advancements in technology. Personally, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the Evo model. I'm assuming it uses an NVMe SSD, which is much faster than a SATA SSD, negating some of the advantage of the Optane memory.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-16-22, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
I'm assuming it uses an NVMe SSD
Yes, it does.

Thanks for that helpful answer, Bob. You sold me on the Evo one. I was leaning that way, but thought I'd ask first.

Old 02-17-22, 03:50 AM
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
When you buy a laptop, besides the hardware, you should also pay attention to all of the ports and availability if that matters to you.

I bought an LG Gram two months ago, thinking that an Ethernet port is standard. Nope, had to buy an extra docking station. Then realized it did not have enough USB ports. So decided to return it.

MSI or Lenovo usually have good specs and all the ports. I am waiting for it to go on sale at Costco and will buy one soon.

I am going to look into the EVO Intel that has been mentioned.

Old 02-17-22, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator
Funny you should mention that. The one I mentioned with the EVO, is a Lenovo, and they have a slightly newer one with pretty much the same specs, only it has more ports. I was thinking I might wait until that one is on sale. I'm using an older laptop that I have for now, so can afford to wait a little longer.

Old 02-17-22, 03:29 PM
H
Received 260 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob14525
From Google: Intel® Optane™ memory is a system acceleration solution installed between the processor and slower storage devices (SATA HDD, SSHD, SSD), which enables the computer to store commonly used data and programs closer to the processor. Intel Optane memory gains great advantages over SSD not only because it costs much less but also because it has better security and longer service life.
DOS 3.0 "RAMdisk" never dies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: