Start up screen

Old 07-04-01, 07:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Hello. Im looking to get rid of my second dos start up screen. Let me explain. When my computer boots you get the first dos screen doing the memory check, thats ok, next the windows 98 screen comes on, ok there, next a second dos screen appears showing the ide drives and a few sentences saying windows is continuing to load (I want to get rid of this screen) Then the windows 98 screen again then my regular desktop. Is this screen in the bios or msconfig? Any ideas? Greg.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-01, 08:16 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool No way

That's part of the "Post" and cannot be done away with. This is to tell you that all is loading corectly etc.

Old 07-04-01, 08:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Thats strange I get 2 dos screens, My wifes computer shows one doing the memory check then the Windows ME start up screen then desktop. Greg.

Old 07-04-01, 11:33 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Yep

Yep mine does the same thing. But while that boot up screen is there, if you hit <ESC> that screen will vanish and the DOS boot screen will show up again. There is a way to keep that Win screen from showing up but for the life of my I cannot find the article on how to do it. Searched for 2 hours and gave up. MS site is a pain!

Old 07-04-01, 01:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Thats strange I get 2 dos screens, My wifes computer shows one doing the memory check then the Windows ME start up screen then desktop. Greg.

Old 07-05-01, 03:36 AM
I'm not sure if this will work with ME (I'm still a '98 guy), but try this:

Run msconfig. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and check off Process Autoexec.bat File (if it isn't already).

On the Autoexec.bat tab, check what's being processed by this file. There are probably some Path statements, Rems, Soundblaster stuff. Click New. Type "echo off" (no quotes). Press Enter. Click on Move Up and move it to the top.

This might still flash the DOS screen, but it should be blank, and go away by itself quickly.