ISP Router versus Owner Router

Old 07-14-22, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ISP Router versus Owner Router

Hello, I just had a service upgrade from my local ISP. They increased my speed and placed a new modem/router for less money each month. They were discontinuing the older legacy service I had with them and asked me to upgrade. Most everything, all my periphials are now working the new way on the higher speed and new ISP provided modem/router. I previous had a Belkin Router A750 that I've used for several years on the lesser speed. My question.... is it better to place my own router or use the modem/router they recently placed? If memory serves, my ISP used to charge $10 per month use their router portion, so I placed my own router. Now, they say there is no charge to use the router thru their service. I had dual bands on the Belkin and this new modem/router has dual bands, 2.5hz and 5G as well. What are the pros and cons of using my own router versus the ISP provider router? Thanks for all your great info here!

Old 07-14-22, 05:26 PM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Either way will work. Here are my ideas of pros/cons for each:

ISP Router:
Pro: ISP responsible for it. If it breaks down or you have a problem with it, they should fix it.
Con: Many ISP's "lock down" their gateways (modem/router in one box), so you can't change anything (SSIDs, Passphrases, channel width, channel number).

Own Router:
Pro: You have complete control over it's setup and can change all of the above parameters (and more) if you so desire.
Con: If/when you begin to experience problems with the router, you will be responsible for either correcting or replacing it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bob14525:
Old 07-14-22, 05:51 PM
T
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In addition to what Bob wrote, if you ever switch ISP or move, you can bring your own router and keep the configuration. WiFi devices will work as before.

The following 2 users liked this post by trosen:
Old 07-14-22, 06:14 PM
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I agree with Bob and Trosen.

But here is a thought. My sister was in the same situation (as you) last month. She got a deal where the ISP provided a new modern router.

However, all of her devices are connected to her current router. She has asked me to come over and update all of the devices to the new router. I have not had time and so I told her to plug her current router into her new ISP router.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-14-22, 06:18 PM
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Don't throw your old router away because it can be used as one of the following mode:

https://images10.newegg.com/BizIntel.../a6_080615.png

Old 07-14-22, 08:12 PM
Ok. Thank you for good information. I was thinking when using any service, it has all our private info(nothing nefarious at my house), data mine our info(again, I would hope to have an honorable social credit score - lol) and then be pester with ads, etc. etc. Although, Belkin router worked with my internet service prior, I was never pestered with ads from/thru/with Belkin products. Wondering if the ISP modem/router does anything like this? I just want to be as secure as possible in today's world.

Old 07-15-22, 05:02 AM
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
I use my own router with Charter (AKA now called Spectrum) I use it with DD-WRT (It's a Linksys WRT32X) and I use the Quad 9 DNS Servers I only mention this because my Stepfather has Xfinity (Comcast) and with their rented devices you cannot change the DNS Servers!

I would have to say this is the second step (after service level increases) to a more responsive internet experience! This can also provide more privacy and less ads but this depends on your DNS server choice (Most but not all allow free access for personal use and have a set of server addresses just for that purpuse).

I also use my own router for reasons that trosen mentioned as well as privacy because all Charter can see is that I have a router and that is it, if I used their device that can see what is connected to it as in the device name and type!

So if you can I would at-least lookup changing the DNS Servers as well!

Old 07-15-22, 12:35 PM
D
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What is the model of your Belkin router?

Old 07-15-22, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,161 Likes on 2,840 Posts
I don't believe you mentioned cable or a service like FiOS.

Many cable operators are supplying wireless routers at no charge because they are allowing two additional connections on the public side..... emergency services and subscribed members.

Old 07-16-22, 05:26 AM
H
Received 260 Likes on 222 Posts
I HIGHLY suggest keeping your own router- for all the above mentioned reasons, but ALSO because you can FAIRLY easily configure it as a 2nd node or 'access-point'.
I've had Verizon at office & home, long enough to go through several upgrades, and from that, have accumulated multiple routers after upgrades- which works for me because I now have a home network with a primary router/WiFi, a secondary router WiFi providing signal in a masonry-divided addition to the house, and then a third router a hundred feet away in the barn/office/garage.

With three WiFi sources, coverage is MUCH better, one of the routers is Gigabit enabled and helps greatly with use-balancing (i.e. no bottleneck or video dropouts, even when 3 people are on video conferencing and nephews are streaming games / YouTube.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hal_S:
Old 07-16-22, 02:46 PM
My Belkin router is AC750. I've used it for a couple years now. I've noticed that moving some of my devices to the new ISP provided modem/router, I will have to re-enter my usernames and passwords for those devices. I haven't done that as yet. Moved everything back to old Belkin router until I decide what I want to do, continue using older Belkin or move to new modem/router. I do notice I get less speed(speedtest) by using the Belkin for my devices being pushed thru the new modem/router. The speed has more equipment to move through. My service with my ISP was ADSL(old modem they took away) thru copper phone lines. The new modem/router is VDSL with choice of 2GH or 5GH. I am using new modem/router on the 5GH.
I have gone to streaming and my devices are Roku Ultra, Tablo tv antenna DVR, a desktop, a laptop and a couple tablets. I have a camera doorbell that works thru separate unlimited mobile phone service. Thinking when I get my devices changed over to new faster service, I will still lose some speed with all these peripherals hanging on the new modem/router. Is this correct? I get the new speed I am suppose to with just one device, using laptop to prove everything up. The Tablo only needs internet to keep tv schedule updated, a very small amount. Will it tamp down some when I add streaming equipment to the new speed, new modem/router? Thanks!

Old 07-16-22, 03:08 PM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
If you have good signal strength, the 5GHz band will give better throughput (speed) than the 2.4GHz band. That said, if you're signal is a little weak, you may get better results on the 2.4GHz band, as the lower frequency band has better range.

I don't think your speed should be adversely affected by how many devices you have connected to the router, as long as their not all on using bandwidth. You have a fixed bandwidth from your ISP, so if you "share" it with multiple devices at the same time, the speed on any one device will drop somewhat (assuming that they are operational). However, if the devices are connected but sitting "idle", it shouldn't affect your speed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bob14525:
Old 07-17-22, 06:00 AM
D
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
AC750 is the wifi standard, there should be a model number on the label somewhere.

The following 2 users liked this post by Davejb:
Old 07-17-22, 08:46 AM
H
Received 260 Likes on 222 Posts

Range of WiFi G frequencies
Originally Posted by Raemarti
//assets.doityourself.com/forum/avatars/Cb_Relax.gifMy Belkin router is AC750. I've used it for a couple years now. I've noticed that moving some of my devices to the new ISP provided modem/router, I will have to re-enter my usernames and passwords for those devices. I haven't done that as yet.
For most routers you CAN choose the WiFi network name- I ALWAYS make the new router SSID the SAME as the old SSID with the same password *(make sure it's a strong password). THEN you just set the routers to broadcast on DIFFERENT CHANNELS. This way you get a reasonably seamless handoff as you go from one area of WiFi coverage to another.

I also HIGHLY suggest doing the same if you have any other routers available-
One final suggestion, a smartphone app - "WiFi Analyzer' will help you see what channels YOU have, but also what channels your NEIGHBORS have. Because if everyone in the area ALL defaults to WiFi Channel 6, then you'll never get good throughput.

For myself, I use the same SSID and password for each router, but spread them across 2.4 channel 1, 6, 11 so there is no overlap and thus no interference.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hal_S:
Old 07-17-22, 12:23 PM
E
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally I would never use an ISP router because I have a complicated networking set up with a lot of IP cameras, networked access control, Vlans and DMZ and VPNs.

But for most people who just want to get on the internet with their wifi enabled devices itís probably fine and you wonít notice a difference between the user experience with a modern high end modem/router and your own router.

Old 07-20-22, 01:47 PM
Thank you. I got Tablotv to work on my desktop!. Originally, in new router set-up with faster speed, I must have disconnected the wifi on the old router. I didn't want to connect on that wifi(router) until I posted to you all, in case, it bumped heads with new router. In my post, I wasn't sure how to ask my question thinking old router disconnected was the way it was suppose to be. Now I have both wifi turned up and it brings up all devices, between the two routers and works well both ways. On the ISP provided router, all my named devices can be seen. On the old router only thing plugged into new router shows as 2 devices and are unnamed(I could name them but won't). Thanks for all your help! You guys (((rock)))!!

Old 08-28-22, 05:50 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Raemarti: are you using both routers at the same time and one connects to the other? You might run into Double NAT issue if it's the case. Btw, AC750 is pretty old for today's standard. What's your current internet speed? If you have high fiber speed, I recommend better router such as Asus AC-86U

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: