Windows 11 Photos App

Old 09-28-22, 04:45 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Windows 11 Photos App

Has anyone discovered a way to scroll or flip through a folder of pictures with this new stupid "Photos" app that comes with W11?? I have scowered the internet and short of editing the registry, which I dont want to get into, I cant find any way to make this new (& improved) Photos app flip, scroll or change through the folder of pictures.

This has got to rate as one of the top 5 stupidest things MS has ever done.

Old 09-28-22, 07:27 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I might be misunderstanding your question,or am too "non tech savvy" to have a more sophisticated answer, but if I have a folder of pictures, and I click on it, it opens to a whole bunch of thumbnails (?). Then, if I click on one of those, after a few seconds it shows up in the photo app screen. In the center of the right and left edges there are arrows to advance ahead and back through the images in the folder.
I'm not sure if this is the flipping and scrolling you're looking for . In any event I hope somebody provides the answer.

Old 09-29-22, 04:19 AM
D
Group Moderator
Yes, exactly Mike but Windows changed the app for viewing pictures in Windows 11.
In W10 & prior, I think back to W7, they used an app called "Windows Picture Viewer". Now its "Photos"
There has been a lot of hate toward Windows for not putting those arrows so you can flip forward or backwards from one picture to the other. It has been an issue. As far as I can find (thats why I am asking everyone here), the only way to revert back to the previous WPV, is to make some changes in the registry, which I could probably do but, I really dont like messing around in the registry for many reasons.

Just wondering if anyone has come up with a work-around or found a fix for it etc.

Thanks for at least giving it a shot here Mike. I appreciate your efforts.

Old 09-29-22, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
There was a new Win11 update to Ver22H2 yesterday, which may have fixed any problems with Photos. Go to your Settings, Windows Update, and you should see it there.

Old 09-29-22, 06:02 AM
D
Group Moderator
No new updates available... I got mine last week. That's what I thought caused all the issues with this site.

Old 09-29-22, 06:46 AM
Received 77 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Dixie, although Windows Photo Viewer is not an ordinary option for viewing photos, it is very easy to add it as an option. The software to run WPV is there in Windows 10 & 11, it's just not enabled as an option. The link below will download a registry file that will allow you to select WPV as an option to view photos.
https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content...Windows-11.zip

Here's a link to the full article: https://www.howtogeek.com/822056/how...on-windows-11/

Old 09-29-22, 12:30 PM
D
Group Moderator
Thank you Mr Bob. Yeah, I've seen that, but I was hoping to get around going into the registry, but its not a killer. I'd go for it if there's not anther work-around or if MS hasn't come up with a more simpler solution.
Thank you for your input. It may be my only option.

Old 09-29-22, 04:11 PM
Received 54 Upvotes on 47 Posts
I don't have Win11 (I tend to be a late adopter of Windows OSes), but the built-in viewer I see in W10 is called Photos so maybe it's similar.

Do the keyboard arrow keys work? And do the < and > arrows appear when you put the mouse where they are invisibly located? That's the behavior I see in the Photos app in W10.

Old 09-29-22, 05:01 PM
D
Group Moderator
I've tried everything I can imagine that might get pictures to scroll... nothing works that I can find. I see a lot of complaints & questions posted through various forums & windows help sites but there are no simple answers. Even the Windows techs are giving answers that dont seem to help anyone.

I have seen a few places that also said that W10 had the "Photos" app, but it appears that the changes were made in W11.
One of my laptops went out last year & I had to buy a new one which came with W11. My other old one that still works has W10 on it. I have not updated it yet & probably wont until necessary.

Thanks for your input Rocket.......

Old 10-01-22, 02:31 PM
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Strange, I am running both Windows 10 & 11. When I open it with the Photos, I can use the mouse wheel to scroll through an entire folder of pictures. I believe this is what you meant when you used the term "flip", technically to flip the image as mirrors. But I believe you meant scroll through the images in the folder, right?

Under "Settings", there is a section for "Mouse Wheel". Did you set review this yet?

I also prefer the Windows 7 Picture Viewer so I run the registry script provided above which is the same as this one:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option1

Old 10-02-22, 06:02 AM
I spent the entire day testing 22H2. Personally, I recommend hold off for another 2-4 weeks until it has more stable updates.

The version released on September 24th had bugs. So they replaced that release with a new one on September 28th. Seems to have hidden network issues even with the latest update from yesterday.

21h2 is stable. 22h2 is not. Just a FYI.

Old 10-02-22, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator
21h2 is stable. 22h2 is not
I've not had a single issue with it so far, knock on wood. Just to share my experience.

Old 10-02-22, 06:44 AM
D
Group Moderator
WRDIY, I ran across that mouse wheel fix the other day too. As a topic that caused a little misbelief here a couple of weeks ago, I use a Trackball instead of the typical, popular mouse. Therefore, I dont have a mouse wheel.

I decided I will try the registry changes but I just got to find a time to do that.... maybe sometime today.

Thank you for your input as well.

Old 10-02-22, 03:48 PM
Dixie, the registry fix is a very simple two steps. Just download and double click on the REG file. Then go to the search app magnify glass and type "Default" for the default apps and change the photo viewers. I did it for Windows 10 and 11 for years now and it has no issue.

ShadeLadie, did you change to a new avatar because I think your old avatar is an owl right?

Anyway, yeah, before I upgrade my main OS, I usually test the known issues. Unfortunately, there is a bigger one for me that is not on the list in the link below.

I have a home network with multiple computers. If I use NET USE to share network drives, it works. However, if I try to run an EXE, it consistently crash the entire OS and reboot. When I do a clean install with 21H2, this does not happen. When I tried and install 22H2 again 3 more times, same issue. This could also be a new security feature. I am not sure but have submitted to Microsoft. I am going to hold off on 22H2 because this did not happen with 21H2, Windows 10, Windows 7.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...indows-11-22h2

Old 10-02-22, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
ShadeLadie, did you change to a new avatar because I think your old avatar is an owl right?
Yep, you're right. This is my Halloween avatar. I switch to it every October.

Old 10-02-22, 03:57 PM
Yep, you're right. This is my Halloween avatar. I switch to it every October.
Awesome! ​​​​​​​

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: