Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

FALSE ALARM!!! {Was: SUCCESS!!!! EUREKA (wuz: New PC - Internet connection slower)}

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

07-11-01, 01:37 PM   #1  
Turns out the fix I was recommended did not stick. Selecting PPP in winipcfg does not stick. It just goes back to the NIC, which I don't need nor use.

Gateway had me dial their servers - no problem talking to their modems. Recommended I contact my ISP.

ISP said "hangtime is a Windows ME issue", that they were only responsible for what happened after I got on to them. They did take me through START > Settings >Ctrl.Panel > Network. Under configuration tab they had me delete several dialup adaptors related to AOL, figuring the system might be slowed down by a stack of adaptors before reaching the adaptor it needs.

Restarted computer.

Any improvement?? NOPE! I give up.

-Chris

Sponsored Links

WI

07-12-01, 05:03 AM   #2  
I thought that sounded a bit odd, as far as I knew, winipcfg and ipconfig were only viewing tools, and only very basic adjustments could be made, such as renewing dhcp addresses.

Did the ISP have a modem string you could insert into your modem properties to try and help your connection? since you have a new USR have you gone to their website and searched for modem strings? I dont know if they will help, but it might. Also if its not to big of a hassel you might take the pc to a friends house and connect to see if its possibly phone line issue, but since the other pc works fine I doubt it will be... What OS is the other pc using? both ME?

Brian.

[Edited by BSB on 07-12-01 at 10:31]

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-12-01, 06:47 AM   #3  
I would go with a different modem. Like the others have said some modems are junk and some good. Im looking to get one of those usr modems. I have a hsp micromodem, it's ok. The hangtime is ME. My wifes computer has the hangtime and it is on cable. Greg.

07-16-01, 01:45 PM   #4  
BSB:

Modem is USR v.90 Fax/modem(the $78 real one) not the winmodem.

Must reiterate that hangtime occurs 3 out of 5 times, not all the time.

-Chris

IL

07-16-01, 06:15 PM   #5  
Let's get back to this NIC for a minute. Do you have an ethernet adapter you're not using? If so go into device manager and tell it to ignore or disable the device in your hardware profile. This may eliminate the search for an IP address from a DHCP server and the hang time. Another option, if you need the NIC for other services, is to go into your network setup and eliminate the IP protocal for the NIC. This should leave your modem as the only source for an IP address which should only come from your ISP. You'll know if this worked by going to winipcfg or ipconfig /all and seeing only your modem settings.

07-16-01, 07:19 PM   #6  
Under the configuration tab in Control Panel > Network, I have:

Client for Microsoft Networks
Dial-Up Adapter
Lynksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adaptor
Microsoft VPN Adapter
NDISWAN > Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adaptoer
TCPIP > Dialup Adaptor
TCPIP > Linksys LNE~

Which of those can I safely remove? Have already removed several AOL related things as I don't use AOL. Obviously anything with "Dial-Up" in it must stay.

Thanks,

Chris

WI

07-17-01, 05:45 AM   #7  
If you do not have a NIC in your pc, you can delete all entries that are not dial up. such as lynksys ethernet, vpn, ndiswan, tcpip>linksys.

Even if you do have the lynksys you can still delete the vpn entries, even if you have the 2 pc's networked. the tcp> lynksys and client for microsoft networks takes care of the network link.

You could even try deleting them all, and starting from scratch, adding only the ones you need. tcpip> dialup, dialup networks, microsoft network, etc.

since I am on an NT office machine I cant refresh my memory as to which ones you need for dialup, its not many though, 3 or for items, (1 service, 1 adapter, and 1 portocol.)

Brian

07-17-01, 05:59 PM   #8  
Removed the "Microsoft VPN Adaptor" listed above.

Machine went ballistic, and had to run system restore several times to get it back. Internet would freeze up without it.

Moral: If it ain't broke don't -k with it!!

-A very annoyed Chris who is dying to get his hands on Win98!

WI

07-18-01, 04:28 AM   #9  
Did it breath fire and belch smoke aswell?

Thats odd. Will have to check my ME machine, no nic, but no modem either to see if it has the vpn. will stick with win2kP for internet connections for now.

By the way, you can get win98 for close to nothing. I dont know about anyone else, but I absolutly hate 98se, is the only MS os that I cannot get to load on my system.

Brian

p.s. no more file deletion suggestions from me in ME untill have checked out own system that being choked by dust at the moment.

IL

07-18-01, 11:53 AM   #10  
If you just want to remove one protocal it should be the TCP/IP for the Lynksys adapter. When you don't have a permanent IP address, which most of us don't, you get one dynamically from a DHCP server. It sounds like your hang time is due to your computer looking for an IP address from a DHCP server on your ethernet card. After about a minute it your computer gives up and starts looking for a DHCP server on your modem you get one from your ISP and your off and running. I think the VPN is a part of ME's networking package.

Search this Thread