no sound!

Old 07-13-01, 04:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

since having a pc crash a few weeks ago i have somehow lost my sound hardware. Everytime i play a video it says it is unable to playback the audio. If i put a cd in it plays with no sound and as soon as i try to adjust the volume it says that there is a promlem with my sound. Also the little volume icon from the bottom corner of my windows desktop has gone. Is there anything i can do to get my hardware back? I obviously still have the sound card but for some reason it isnt registering.. I would be extremely grateful of any help..

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-01, 04:43 AM
BSB
I would try reinstalling it, both physicaly and reloading the drivers for it.

Remove the card, boot up, delete all files pertaining to the sound card, shut down, insert card, boot, load drivers.

To get your sound Icon back in your sys tray, go to start, settings, control panel. open multimedia , under the sound tab check the "display vlume control..." box that is under the playback device.

You could just try uninstalling the audio drivers first, rebooting and then reloading the drivers first.

Brian

Old 07-13-01, 04:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile thanks

thanks for the quick response. Is it a risky job for someone to do who is not IT trained? lol
I am ok with doing such work as long as i know what i'm doing but i havent removed a sound card before or installed a drive. Would you mind giving me a little more detail on how i should remove the card and what files to delete relating to sound. Also how to install the drives?

I would be very grateful, thanks again for your help

Andy

Old 07-13-01, 05:27 AM
BSB
The biggest problems with cards is static electricity. unplug the machine, remove the skin (case cover) plug back in, but dont power up. (the case is grounded when its pluged back in) touch the case metal to discharge yourself, then remove the cd sound 2 or 4 pin connector (thats for cd sound from the drive to the card) remove the screw holding the card in place, walk the card out from front to back, dont bend the card top to bottom, may crack (not good) put card where it will not get smooshed (techincal term for damaged ) Reconnect the video, keyboard and mouse, reboot. when windows is fully loaded you can shut back down, if you have already deleted/uninstalled the drivers and other associated files. then follow the same proceedure to put the card back in, but push the card straight down (you may have to put the front side in first to get it started then push the rest of the way in.) the clip that screws down to the case will touch or almost touch, if the screw does not start because of to much gap, remove card and try again. There is some flex to the support bracket when screwing down, this is normal. wait to put the cover back on untill you are sure the card is working, nothing worse then haveing to keep removing the cover. This is also a good time to blow out any dust in the case, wether its with a blower brush, can of air, air compresser. If you have a brush attachment you can even use a vaccum or use the corner want to get dust in the corners but not from on the board. Ungrouned vaccum hoses can cause a static discharge to your board, again not good. if non of the above are not availible you can stick your face in the case and blow, just make sure you dont spit all over your board, and close your eyes so you dont get dust blow back in em.

Brian

Old 07-13-01, 06:43 AM
Bazooka227
Visiting Guest
Have you tried reloading the drivers first, before ripping apart the machine?

To get the icon back (if your drivers are loaded properly):
Click on Start
Move cursor to Settings
Click on Control Panel
Double Click on Multimedia
You should see a check box, in the Audio tab, for displaying the icon.

Old 07-13-01, 07:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hello. You don't need to remove the sound card from your computer. To re-install your drivers goto control panel- system- device manger then clik on multimedia then reload your drivers. Good luck.