Wiring a computer

Old 07-14-01, 12:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello. I am currently in the process of building my first computer. I have a question about the wiring. I just got the case and it has different colored wires for the reset switch(one blue and one white), power switch(one white and one orange), hdd led(one black and one red), and power led(one black and one green). I have my motherboard instruction manual and it tells me where the + and - should go, but how do I determine which one that is? Is there any common rule when dealing with wiring that I don't know about. I know that usually red=positive, black=negative, and green=ground. Let me know what I'm missing. If you have any good websites that would tell me more I'd like to know them.
Thanks
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-01, 05:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hello. My computer is a custom, I built it 1 years ago, for the reset and power switch, the wires are not polarity sensitive, they just make a connection when pressed. So look in your motherboard book and it should show you where to hook them up on your jumper strip. Hdd and power led, look on the mother board and see if there is a 1 or + on the board next to the pin. This would indicate positive. I dont remember if there is. If the led dosent light just switch the jumper around. Greg.

Old 07-15-01, 09:43 AM
some led's are polarity sensitive, reset and power switches are not polarity sensitive.

Locations on the motherboard can vary, you need the motherboard manual to assist you.

if you know you have the right connector and the led doesn't work just reverse it.

Old 07-16-01, 05:08 AM
BSB
Also, if you look at your connecters, one side is solid the other is not. Most motherboards and connectors I have come across have the solid side facing into the board with the other side facing out, or towards the edge of the board. I always follow the pattern when connecting them.

Brian