Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MSWord97 not Formatting HTML Docs

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-14-01, 03:58 AM   #1  
When I visit sites using Internet Explorer version 6 and download html docs, I save them as html.

When I open these same docs in Word97 at home, they do not format and show on the screen as plain text. All the html coding is also shown.

When I open an html doc at work, at the bottom of the screen it comes up, 'word is formatting document' and the doc comes up on the screen properly.

What is missing on my computer at home?

I have tried reloading MSOffice97, and I have tried adding the converters (12.6m) from Microsoft, but to no avail.

Thanks for your help.

WK

P.S. Previously properly viewed docs that I had no problems with in the past, are also coming up with all the html codes.

Sponsored Links

IL

07-15-01, 06:30 PM   #2  
Try two things.
First
1. Go Online
2. Start Word
3. Go to FILE -> OPEN
4. Instead of typing in a file name type in a URL something like http://forum.doityourself.com
5. It should come up in Word as a web page formated with tables. There may be some extra codes and texts.

If it works then the problem is the way IE6 is saving files. If it doesn't then try this(I think everything is the same place in 6)

1. Open IE6 and go to tools
2. Go to Internet Options
3. Click on the programs tab
4. Make sure Word is "NOT" your default HTML editor
5. If it is switch it to NOTEPAD
6. Restart both programs

It may be that Windows now thinks that you want to edit HTML in Word and not view and print documents there.

Hope it helps.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-16-01, 03:42 PM   #3  
Michael Heres What Happened

I did what you said but it did not change the situation (as far as NotePad) but what you said about IE6 could be right.

I went back to IE5.1 and now, at least Word97 is converting some of the documents.

I will continue to watch what happens and extend my sincere thanks to you.

By the way the threads on the site are not showing, just the member's name, etc. I had to get in by going back to the reply email that I received. Perhaps it was because I was not logged in.

IL

07-16-01, 06:04 PM   #4  
One more idea. Go to http://office.microsoft.com and go to the download center. (Auto update now only supports 2000 and XP.) Try installing the service releases SR-2b and the Office Converter Pack for Office 97. There is some other neat stuff here too.

If IE 6 is saving some things in DHTML or XML it may be hard for Word 97 to recognize the code as a web page.

Search this Thread