Xfinity or just suck it up

Old 02-16-24, 06:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 251 Upvotes on 203 Posts
Xfinity or just suck it up

So, we are still slogging along on at <3 mbps DSL speed with Frontier Comm (who bought out the Verizon land lines about 10-15 years ago; it's also my business landline). Cost is $38.98/mo. Talked to them this morning because a loyalty discount had expired and cost was going to $43.98/mo; they're rolling it back to the lower figure. When I called them last year, the rate had gone as high as $48.98/mo which was approaching the price of fiber plan (if we could get it).

BUT, what we really want is for them to finally get their fiber into our neighborhood. We've gotten mailers periodically for at least three years saying its "COMING", blah blah blah. Still no fiber in sight and so far, nobody can say when its on the schedule. The gal I talked to in the Loyalty department was going to send a note to "Engineering" to see if they can give me a time-frame at all. I'm not hopeful. Side note: we're only one of the fastest growing cities in the state.

So question: Anyone with opinions on Comcast/Xfinity? They've had cable at the pole out back for at least 5 years. We have DISH for TV (I know, we're behind the times; when we bought the house in 1999 there was no cable for many years and got used to the satellite which we like just fine). Main reason we've avoided them is that their reputation for customer service (at least locally) is crap among people I've heard telling stories.

Other option, of course, is sat internet, but looking at prices its gets a little expensive after the introductory rate period.

Old 02-16-24, 08:08 AM
Group Moderator
Update: Heard back from the customer service lady. Engineering is talking "next year". Whoopee.

Old 02-16-24, 08:22 AM
T
Received 75 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Do you have a Verizon tower nearby? They have a "new" internet service that doesn't use your cell phone (as a hotspot) that seems to be a good option for some. I was able to get my local cable co to match their initial price ($25) by threatening to switch.

Old 02-16-24, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
Checking that; my tow buddy, Mike, mentioned it when I was talking to him earlier. We've had Verizon cell phones for ages.

Old 02-16-24, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
Comes up "Unavailable".

Old 02-16-24, 08:33 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 258 Upvotes on 206 Posts
I have had Comcast/Xfinity since mid 90's. The best thing about it is their service. Lots of issues can be fixed from the service center by resetting or fixing technical issues. It's sometimes 3 or 4 days for a service guy to come out.

I used to be highly satisfied with them but as the years go by, it has become increasingly expensive for the services/options we actually use. They are constantly updating and adding services, but its things that dont appeal to me... things I dont use. Regardless, the price continually goes up with the increased services.

I'll note that we have TV, internet & home security. Its almost $300 a month. We do have the top tier TV package though. We do not have phone service. Over all, I think Xfinity is good but it involves a lot of technology that I dont utilize and its costly. It is pretty reliable for the most part.

I'm not recommending it because i threaten most every month that I am going to go somewhere else when I see the bill. I never do because at the end of the day, despite the cost, there is really no better option for us.

Recently, they changed TV programing & removed some programing I watch. Again, I was not happy.

Just my thought on their services.

Old 02-16-24, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks, Dixie. Yeah, I hate when tech companies trot out the new "features" and assume EVERYONE wants/needs them and are willing to pay more. Intuit software is like that. I use their Quickbooks for the business and I'm using a version that's about 15 years old because it does everything I need it to do. Plus, Intuit sunsets the software every few years and expects you to pony up for a new version. NOW I don't think there even is an economical stand-alone version, all by subscription.

Old 02-16-24, 10:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,267 Upvotes on 1,207 Posts
I had DSL at a cost of $50/month with a top speed of something like 15. Not that I ever saw anything approaching 15 and I would often have problems running a zoom meeting. Switched to Xfinity for about the same money and speeds of 300, which have since been upped to 400 without price change. No brainer for me but the details are different for all of us.

Old 02-16-24, 12:39 PM
W
Received 17 Upvotes on 14 Posts
It might be worth it to talk to XFinity. I just ran an XFinity speed test and download speeds were 314.6 mb. I'm using a centuries old desktop with windows 8.? and a fairly new modem.

They can be expensive depending on what you get but they are very reliable and their service is good.

Old 02-16-24, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
I'm using a centuries old desktop with windows 8
You're state-of-the-art compared to my desktop running Win7 64bit, but fast processor and plenty of memory with SSD drive.

Old 02-16-24, 01:47 PM
W
I saw your speed test results and thought 274 mb ain't bad. Then I saw the decimal point.

Here is just one of the things that I like about XFinity. When there is an outage they send an informative text i.e "tree down" etc along with a reasonably accurate ET of repair. They also send a text heads up when they will be down for maintenance.

Old 02-16-24, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 393 Upvotes on 321 Posts
I have Comcast/Xfinity, too since forever. I have TV, Internet, Phone and DVD and pay close to $270 a month. You get a good deal when you first sign up, but then it goes up after two years.
I pretty much agree with Dixie. Their service is pretty good tho. They send someone out the next day around here, but it's rare to need them to come out. Internet pretty fast.

Old 02-16-24, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,986 Upvotes on 3,578 Posts
I have Verizon FiOS here.
The next county over is the Comcast/Xfiniti area.
Many people and customers I deal with hate them.
I have a major condo association that has Xfiniti. Many have slow service issues with them.

Many of our members here are using Starlink.
I'd definitely check into that.

Old 02-16-24, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
I have a major condo association that has Xfiniti. Many have slow service issues with them.
They have new gateway boxes. They should exchange their old ones with these, if they haven't already. Makes a difference.

Old 02-16-24, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,986 Upvotes on 3,578 Posts
My alarm systems connect to the internet thru their "gateway" boxes.
It is a MAJOR issue to program the gateway boxes for port forwarding.

This is a 400+ unit.... thirty year old condo association.
I'm sure the underground cabling is a major part of the problem.

Old 02-16-24, 02:30 PM
Received 56 Upvotes on 49 Posts
Xfinity offers some good speeds, but you need one of a small set of newish cable modems/gateways. I replaced my 10-year-old modem with a new Hitron CODA56 and here are my speeds. My old modem was limited to 40 Mbps up. My biggest gripe with Comcast is the cost. Their Internet reliability is pretty good.

Old 02-21-24, 10:09 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
If Xfinity is your only option, I'd go with it. Their big issues is that customer support is infuriating and they have a way of constantly increasing prices if you don't call (see issue #1). But the actual service/speeds are good and they've been good to fix issues.

I've had FiOS for a long time, at first the customer service and capability was A+. I'd give their customer service a solid C+ these days. But internet quality is great.

I'd also recommend looking into Starlink. It's improving constantly and has good speeds. Pricing is a bit higher than wired, but a colleague who lives in the middle of nowhere loves it. And loves that he can throw the dish into his car and set it up anywhere.

Old 02-26-24, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My current bill of Xfinity/Comcast is $358.18 and last month, January was $10 less, $346.
I've been a Comcast subscriber for many years, even cannot remember when I got one, maybe early to mid-1990. In recalling, a monthly bill of Comcast was about $125 - $150 for the first year, then going up, up, up again, .... now it seems out-control price for me to pay.
When I asked an agent why the bill has kept going up, he told me that I have five different Boxes next to 5 TVs, one for Living room, one for Backroom and two for bedrooms. Those Boxes coming from Xfinity/Comcast, renting. However, it's very expensive for Internets, TVs and Landline phone.
In my guess tho'. all of upgrade along with many newly added features,.... we, all paying whether we utilize or not utilize. Labor and those tech-equipments must be very expensive for Xfinity/Comcast. So, what they do is to add an extra charge on the monthly bill even my family never utilize nor need it either.
There is also Verizon to choose, but in the past, I had a bad experience, only one PC/Internet instead 3 different PCs/Internet(Verizon told me so at the beginning), so reliability started to bother me and then switch to Comcast.
Plus/good-side of Xfinity/Comcast is stability, reliability and excellent tech-service. Once I called to ask to come to my house fixing 'dropping connection intermediately ,' but the next day Xfinity/Comcast fixed the problem remotely. Now, there is fast speed with reliable connection for us to enjoy surfing Internet, TV and plus landline phone(old friend still using phone # to call, then I keep it).
Probably, next year, 2025 the bill might be going up to $400 or even more which I need to anticipate by cutting some of Amazon purchases.

Old 02-26-24, 05:14 PM
T
Received 206 Upvotes on 180 Posts
First cable bill was something like $7.48 including tax. Of course that was 60 years ago. Never a fan of super-size companies, they get no money from me.

Old 02-27-24, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator
Of course that was 60 years ago
I hope you're just exaggerating since there was no cable yet back then.? I'm not even sure if UHF was available then.

Old 02-27-24, 05:33 AM
W
We had cable in VT at least 50 years ago. It was a local company that had an antenna atop a mountain and they distributed OTA tv stations. Service was straight coax and cost under $10 a month. My parents shared with two neighbors and they split the bill 3 ways.

From a Wikipedia entry - "In 1968, 6.4% of Americans had cable television. The number increased to 7.5% in 1978. By 1988, 52.8% of all households were using cable. The number further increased to 62.4% in 1994."

Last edited by Wayne Mitchell; 02-27-24 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-27-24, 05:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Growing up we only had 2 channels [NBC&CBS] along about 1970 a 3rd channel came along [ABC] In 72 There was no cable. In 72 I bought a bike and took off touring the country. I personally had no knowledge of cable until I started to settle down in mid 70s. I never lived anywhere it was offered until the mid/late 80s. Even today where I live the only options are antenna, satellite and the elec company fiber optic.

Old 02-27-24, 09:20 AM
W
In the mid/late 60s we could get 3 channels with a rooftop, rotor positioned antenna. With cable I think we got 7 or 8 channels but two of them were in French.

Old 02-27-24, 09:45 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 258 Upvotes on 206 Posts
I did not know cable was available in the 60s. In 1978 when I joined the fire department, they had cable TV from a local provider.
I just hadnt thought about it. Like Shadeladie, initially, I thought, what???? But after I thought about it... yeah maybe so.

First satellite dish system I ever knew about was a roofing contractor in the early to mid 80's. He just had one installed. He was saying how many channels he got & all the movie channels, sports channels etc, etc.

Then he said it cost $8000 for that thing..!!!
And at that time, because it was subscription based service, there was no advertising. That was the selling point back then. eventually, as we all know, now you gotta pay big bucks for the service plus all the ads of free TV.

Old 02-27-24, 10:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Then he said it cost $8000 for that thing..!!!
Back before they came out with the small satellite dish I had a salesman come up to the house wanting to sell me a big dish for 5k. He said the only way for it to clear the trees was to set it in the middle of my small front yard obstructing the mountain view from my porch. I politely refused, he got hot so I not so politely told him to leave. Apparently since he made the effort to come up my mountain driveway he felt it was my obligation to buy one.

Old 02-27-24, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
Our first experience with cable was in SoCal while I was stationed at El Toro, 1981-83. You had two choices: HBO and ON-TV.

I'm not even sure if UHF was available then.
I can tell you on the Gulf Coast of FL when I was a teenager, we had one UHF channel (44) circa mid-late 60's. That would be essentially 60 years ago.

Old 02-27-24, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First cable bill was something like $7.48 including tax. Of course that was 60 years ago. Never a fan of super-size companies, they get no money from me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In this region, Metropolitan/big cities, there was 'Starpower' before Comcast and Virizon, maybe AT&T also.
The PC was Win 98 and Starpower was a basic features only e-mail and Internet if my recollection is correct. The cost of subscriber was about $15 or something close.
Those, old days, there were not much e-mails exchange, and No Social Media, i.e. Facebook, X and etc. So, Starpower could handle its volume/power to accommodate to Internet savvies. But, the things has been changed so much so drastically for the past years. Internet folks, particularly younger generation, in their 30's and 20's need more features, i.e. Video games, movies, music, sports and more to list. Those tremendous demand needs an extra power usage/Fibers(?) which results in a costly monthly bill, in my guess tho'.

Old 02-27-24, 07:25 PM
W
I lived in the Keys in the mid 70s. We got 1 channel from Miami but we didn't care because we were living in the Keys and who needed TV?

Old 02-28-24, 04:46 AM
T
Received 206 Upvotes on 180 Posts
Different sources list various "first cable TV system" and they all date back to the late '40s-early '50s. Love their monthly fees! At that time there only about 100 stations in the country and some states had no TV stations at all.

https:/en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_television_in_the_United_States

https://www.encyclopedia.com/media/e...vision-history

https://www.britannica.com/technology/cable-television

https://www.inventionandtech.com/con...rth-cable-tv-1

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: