Are Windows Updates a Necessity?

Old 02-19-24, 08:38 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Are Windows Updates a Necessity?

I got a used PC to operate my CNC machine, Lenovo Desktop ThinkCenter M700 with Intel i5-6500, 4 Core, 3.5GHz. To run a CNC machine the older the PC the better but that's the best I could get and includes Windows 10PRO. The PC is not connected to the Internet and actually it is a bad idea to have it connected to the Internet.

My question: At the bottom right of the screen I see this icon to do “Urgent Updates” and I don’t care for any updates but I wonder, is it really required? Perhaps if I don’t do the updated the Windows will stop functioning?

What will happen if I never do any updates?

Thanks

Old 02-19-24, 08:54 AM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Windows updates are not required for continued operation of the computer. Windows updates are normally done for two reasons: to add new features, or to fix security issues. However, since your computer isn't connected to the internet, you shouldn't have to worry about security issues, other than potential sabotage.

kolias voted this post useful.
Old 02-19-24, 12:18 PM
Thanks Bob, I understand.
Years ago when first XP came in the market I bought the DVD for it (real DVD not a coupon to get it online). Then it used to be the idea to re install the OS once or twice/year to get rid of garbage accumulated in the system and I used to do so until one day when I did the XP re-install I got the message "you have exceeded the max 27 times allowed for install...". I was stunned realizing that I bought a DVD which had a limit on installations. So now I wonder if the same will happen with not installing updates but I understand.

Old 02-19-24, 03:48 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,182 Upvotes on 1,952 Posts
I have a Windows laptop that hasn't been updated in 10 years. I don't give it access to the Internet and it keeps on working.

Old 02-19-24, 05:04 PM
Hopefully mine will be the same Pilot Dane, thanks

Old 02-20-24, 07:30 AM
H
Received 297 Upvotes on 255 Posts
[QUOTE​​​​=kolias]it used to be the idea to re install the OS once or twice/year to get rid of garbage accumulated in the system and I used to do so until one day when I did the XP re-install I got the message "you have exceeded the max 27 times allowed for install...". I was stunned realizing that I bought a DVD which had a limit on installations. [/QUOTE]
To fix that, you can use disk-imaging software (I use Macrium Reflect) or get a newer computer and run a "virtual machine".
So, when I first get a new computer, I make a complete computer image (snapshot of the entire operating system and all programs) through Macrium. Then I can EITHER re-install that Image at any time, and effectively rewind that computer to the initial install configuration, OR open that Image in a newer computer and run the older computer as simulation / virtual machine.
VERY helpful when dealing with malware / ransomware / disk repair, as you can try multiple options, if they fail or there virtual computer shows a virus, you simply close the window / end the simulation that is running in firewalled memory. Then you re-load the clean Image and try again.

IIRC, you used to be able to call MS tech support and they could re-authorize another set of installs for Windows.

kolias voted this post useful.
Old 02-20-24, 08:07 AM
Good thinking Hal_S, I do use Macrium in my Windows11 laptop like you say and it has been a life saver in a few circumstances. For the CNC PC I wouldn’t bother, as it’s mentioned here it should keep running without updates and if it fails then I will install Vista. I have the Vista DVD from a Dell laptop I bought years ago and use it in previous machines and works well.

Old 02-20-24, 08:45 AM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Kolias, since you already have Macrium, I would recommend that you make an image of the PC running your CNC machine. Anything can happen that will cause that computer to fail or corrupt Windows (drive failure, power failure, etc.). While it's true that you can always reinstall the OS and the necessary software, that can be somewhat time consuming. If you have an image of the computer, you can get it up and running in a matter of minutes. Something to think about.

Old 02-20-24, 09:50 AM
Will do that, thanks

Old 02-20-24, 10:52 AM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
just for clarity, the DVD you had to install Windows is not the limitation on how many times you install it. The DVD is a fixed set of files that is not updated at all during install. You are limited when you try to activate the license assigned to that DVD by Microsoft. As I recall, you need to go online to activate the install and that is when the install calls "home" aka Microsoft, and reports that license number as being installed again. I don't recall if you can have a working windows install without it calling home to register itself. call Microsoft to ask about resetting the license to allow for a new install to replace a non-functional PC may be your best bet to have a functional install.

- Peter

Old 02-20-24, 11:17 AM
I remember very well the message was “..you have exceeded the 27 times allowed to install…”. I agree the DVD has a set of fixed files and I don’t know how it can count how many times it’s installed. Also I didn’t have to activate the DVD, it only asked for the product key which was written on the DVD envelope. Calling MS? I don’t think that’s possible to get anyone at MS just to answer a call (at least that’s my experience).

Old 02-20-24, 05:16 PM
Well guys I have forgotten a lot I guess but just discovered that Windows10 PRO will not work with my cnc control software (Mack3). The new Mack4 will but I dont have the license for it. So I have the remove Windows10 PRO and install either Vista or XP-PRO which I also have the DVD. Have not done this for a while so I just put the XP-PRO DVD in and reboot? Have nothing else on this pc.

Old 02-20-24, 05:22 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention that I will use the parallel port to run the Mack3 software. There are hardware I can install on the cnc to use Windows 10 without the parallel port but I prefer the parallel port.

Old 02-20-24, 09:47 PM
Had no luck installing XP-PRO in my desktop with Windows10-PRO (Lenovo ThinkCenterM700, with Intel i5-6500, 4 Core, 3,5GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD). I changed the BIOS to boot from the DVD, she booted ok, started installing files and then it said something “..ACPI compliant BIOS needs to be turned off..”. Back to the BIOS, changed the ACPI to disable, now she finished loading all files and said “Loading Windows…” then the Blue screen said “Unexpected error and needs to shutdown to prevent damage to the PC”.

Any ideas? Perhaps if I remove the SSD and re format may do the trick?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: