Spam Launches When Firefox Rebooted

Old 02-19-24, 10:15 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 279 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Spam Launches When Firefox Rebooted

Reached what I considered a spam site (resembling a Microsoft error screen)
Happened to shut off the computer and then restarted it.

Don't remember whether Firefox restarted by itself on system reboot or I restarted it

When Firefox restarted the spam window immediately reappeared.

Don't want Firevox restarting things I did not tell it to, let alone possibly malicious screens

Using Windows 10 Professional 64 bit
Using Firefox 122.0.1 64 bit

Old 02-19-24, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,982 Upvotes on 3,574 Posts
If you shut the comp off with FF open.... that same page will come back when FF is restarted.
I have remembered FF opening on a restart if it was not closed when shutting down.

I'm still running W7
In the past I have used the FF refresh to clear from problems.
Not sure if that's in newer versions.
Click on the three bars and then on help. It would be there.

Old 02-20-24, 05:38 AM
J
Received 516 Upvotes on 421 Posts
I would shut down the internet connection and then open FF. Within FF go to the setting page and verify that your 'start page' has not been reset by the malicious page.

Old 02-20-24, 07:18 AM
H
Received 297 Upvotes on 255 Posts
If I Were You, I'd fully power off the computer- power button or hold down left-shift key when clicking 'shut down' to bypass some of the fast-start.
Restart computer, check for updates to Windows Defender / Malwarebytes - 3rd party antivirus, then run Windows full range virus scan, on MS Defender, then run Malwarebytes or other 3rd party.
Disconnect computer from internet access, start FF, clear FF cache, check whether start-page has been changed and fix if necessary.
Reconnect internet access, then refresh / check for FF updates to get a 'clean' update of FF.

Old 02-21-24, 07:27 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 279 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Thanks.

But could there be enough malicious code on deck, poised to install itself if I click the wrong spot in the middle of the tab window then showing?

I want to be able to restart Firefox without unwanted things appearing.

Old 02-21-24, 10:37 AM
Z
Received 126 Upvotes on 117 Posts
IMHO you would be better off completely removing Firefox and then doing a brand new Firefox install as others have suggested.

You can reboot into Safe Mode to start the removal process; in which case you should not see the bogus message and be troubled by that message in Safe Mode - but there is a catch. You can't Install/Uninstall applications in Safe Mode because the installer service intentionally isn't started in Safe Mode (only the bare minimum is started in Safe Mode). But the link below shows you how to force the installer to start in Safe Mode.

I have not done this myself, but it looks pretty straight forward. You are in fact messing with the registry, but you can see that you are only changing the SafeBoot path in the registry, which by definition should not affect anything else in your computer.

Seems like it might be worth a try.

How to Install and Uninstall Programs in Safe Mode in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

Old 02-22-24, 06:49 AM
J
Received 516 Upvotes on 421 Posts
Before you remove FF I would make a backup of your bookmarks. Removal will also remove the bookmarks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: