NO INTERNET with Ethernet, but with Wireless enable to get INTERNET

Old 03-23-24, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
NO INTERNET with Ethernet, but with Wireless enable to get INTERNET

Hello:
On the screen, 'NO INTERNET' popping up when opening up Internet which occurred all of four PCs, two Win 7s and two Win 10s. All of them are connected with Ethernet on the same large table.
Afterwards, I switched to 'Wireless' connection to see whether able to connect to Internet.
Strange enough, I could connected all of four PCs with Wireless.
In my experience with Ethernet connection is more powerful over Wireless.
Any idea on this would be appreciated.

Old 03-23-24, 08:41 AM
H
Received 297 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Well, usually when I have ethernet issues, I'll take about 15 minutes to shut down all the computers (some computer ethernet connections will broadcast their own IP address which conflicts with the Router).

So, I'd suggest shutting down computers / laptops, recycle the router, OR if you have a router box outside or in the basement, power-cycle the BIG router box (I've got mine on a LED-lit X-mas tree on/off switch in the basement to make it easy for everyone to be able to cycle the router).

Then bring up the box, then the router, then the computers.

PineCone voted this post useful.
Old 03-23-24, 09:53 AM
Z
Received 127 Upvotes on 118 Posts
Are all four connected directly to the router?

Old 03-23-24, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the responses.
Are all four connected directly to the router?
All four computers are connected straight directly with Router which sitting on within one foot away from all four PCs, but Router was set-up by Xfinity/Comcast about 15 years ago. Is it too old?
So, Router causing this issue?

Old 03-23-24, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 393 Upvotes on 321 Posts
If you're still with Xfinity, you definitely need a new router. They're completely different from 15 years ago.
ETA, I'm surprised they haven't notified you about that.

Old 03-23-24, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the input.
What kind of Router would be good? I normally purchase any from Amazon.
I've been with Xfinity/Comcast since mid to late 1990. The subscription with Comcast has been going up, up and again, but I'm still with Comcast due to its reliability, stability and good tech-service.

Old 03-23-24, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
I use a Linksys router but I also have a new Gateway/Modem that's supplied by them. You don't really need a router if you use their modem, which will connect all your computers.

Old 03-23-24, 12:53 PM
Z
If you are connected to the router via 4 ethernet ports on the router, each port connected to a single PC, I don't think the age of the router matters for this particular problem. I would reboot the router first, as previously suggested, if you haven't already done so.

What model is the router? Also, have you ever used that routers ethernet ports before?

Old 03-23-24, 01:23 PM
H
Received 297 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by PineCone
[IMG​]https://assets.doityourself.com/forum/avatars/applecom.gif[/img]Router was set-up by Xfinity/Comcast about 15 years ago
Eh, sounds like you're way past due for a router upgrade. That being said, you MIGHT be able to keep your old router and repurpose it.
For comparison, I'm running 2 prior issued Verizon Fios MI424wr routers, (which VZ didn't bother to ask me tor return) reconfigured as router-repeaters to get better signal coverage. Also using some antique Verizon Westell 327w DSL router/modems as 100mbms switches (one left from old business account, another from thrift shop).

Check what you can get for cheap/free from your current plan, and see about keeping your old router to use as an access point for ethernet / WiFI...

Old 03-23-24, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the responses. I REALLY appreciate all.
As to 'Router,' it's Netgear Wireless-N, Router WNR1000 v2
Modem is: Wireless Gateway, about 11 inches tall x 1.5 inches width
Now, it appears to me that Router started working fine.

To be honest, I'm not a tech-savvy person in the first place and hate to do any manupulations, nor any changes on both Modem and Router.

Old 03-23-24, 04:13 PM
Z
I have the NETGEARWNR2000. I think the NETGEARWNR1000 is about 15 years old. If you have an Xfinity Wi-Fi Gateway connected to the NETGEARWNR1000 router, then I think you are getting Wi-Fi and Ethernet from the NETGEARWNR1000. I assume at installation there was some reason to include the NETGEAR. Maybe it is being used as a Wi-fi access point. Or maybe it's used as an ethernet switch which I think would allow you to connect many wired devices into a single ethernet port on the Gateway.

But, anyway, if you power cycled the devices and now the internet started to work again - that is no surprise. Isn't it amazing how power-cycling fixes those hardware problems -lol.

Old 03-23-24, 08:19 PM
I found 'NETGEAR WNR2000 at Amazon and the price is only $29 plus tax. It's not bad at all. However, in my recollection on this, a Comcast Guy came to my house on a very sunny, blue sky summer day, about 15 years ago, he put something, i.e. code or some similar phrase onto both Modem and Router. Both have been renting from Xfinity along with boxes sitting next to TVs that getting price more up tho'.
Then, since I'm not familiar with those tech code and etc., it's better to leave it as is until completely out-of-service. Any tamper or manupulation causing a huge inconvience not able getting Internet at all.
Probably, I need to call Xfinity to come to my house to set-up a brand, up-to-date Router? I don't know
about it yet, but luckily at least one of PCs got INTERNET with Ethernet cable. That's a huge relief.

Old 03-24-24, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator
If you're going to get a new router, it pays to get the latest one which is a WIFI 6. That one you mention is as old as the one you already have. No point to get that one.
As for the Xfinity Gateway/modem, I have the second one listed here.
How much are you paying now for renting yours? Like I said above, if you get the newest one, you really don't need a separate router.
btw, I changed the gateway myself, and if I can do it, anyone can. They sent me the new one and I returned the old one to the store. They still come out and do it for you though.

Old 03-24-24, 08:24 AM
W
Received 19 Upvotes on 15 Posts
If you are a Comcast customer and have a Comcast store in your area you can just walk in and ask for a replacement. I replaced mine last year after it was fried by lightning.and the setup was extremely easy.

I have a new Netgear in a box in a closet that has never been used. I think the Comcast router rental costs a couple of bucks a month which is worth it to me.

Old 03-24-24, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the very informative , Comcast subscribers' responses. I REALLY appreciate both.
I'll definitely go to Comcast/Xfinity store, about 20 minutes' drive to get a brand, up-to-date Router soon
on the way to my Primary, routine Dr. office.

Old 03-24-24, 02:32 PM
Z
PineCone-

Maybe I misunderstand but I don't think you would be renting that NETGEARWNR1000 router from Comcast. I think that would be something you own. That installation was a long time ago and so could it be that you forgot (I can't remember this morning - lol) that the Comcast guy hooked up their Gateway to your own router - the NETGEARWNR1000?

Normally you wouldn't use a router with the Xfinity Gateway since the Gateway includes a router internally. You would get your Wi-Fi from the Gateway and if you wanted to use an ethernet cable to connect a PC to the internet, the Gateway has some ethernet (i.e. LAN) connections on the back. I think today usually 4. But I think some only have 2 ethernet connections.

Anyway, just mentioning that because upgrading the NETGEAR router may not be the thing to do.

Old 03-24-24, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
She said she has a Gateway from Comcast, but an older model. Post #10.

Old 03-24-24, 03:57 PM
Z
I guess my question is: why is the NETGEAR router in the configuration at all? I don't think it would be part of the Comcast installation and would only be connected to the Gateway upon request from the customer. So, it seems to me, there must be something going on in the system environment that would necessitate the use of a separate router.

I would try to figure out what is going on there before I would change any equipment at all. Could be wrong but that's the way I would approach it.

Old 03-24-24, 04:06 PM
W
Received 19 Upvotes on 15 Posts
My Xfinity router is <1 yr old. It has 4 ethernet connections.

Old 03-24-24, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
The Comcast modem I had before my last one was only a modem, so I needed a router. I'd imagine that's why she has a router. When you get a gateway, you can use that or you can use your router. Both work.
When I upgraded to their latest gateway, the speed was much faster and rarely a disconnect, which I often had with the older gateway. One reason to upgrade.

Old 03-24-24, 04:51 PM
Z
Yea - could be a modem only. I think maybe somewhere on the back there might be a model identification. I haven't actually seen the newer models but it looks like maybe if you look real close there is an id on the back somewhere. I would have to really squint hard - lol.

My Xfinity router is <1 yr old. It has 4 ethernet connections.
​​​​​​​
It does look like today like most have 4.

Old 03-25-24, 01:07 PM
zoesdad
Thanks for the response. I REALLY appreciate the knowledge you have regarding both inside and outside of the PCs.
I'm a novice once dealing with Modem and Router, so I plan going to Comcast Store nearby to get a new, more up-to-date Router.
This site, DoItYourself is a best 'Forum' to ask questions and look at other posts for knowledge and expertise because of many wonderful folks helping others.

Old 03-25-24, 04:43 PM
Z
PineCone you are sure welcome. I know everyone here - including me - is happy if they can help even a little. I think if you have any questions before, or after, you see the Comcast folks, I know everyone here would be happy to try and help all they can.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: