file association in Windows

Old 04-15-24, 05:38 PM
Received 727 Upvotes on 643 Posts
file association in Windows

Is it possible to associate only one file of a particular extension to open with a particular program but not others with the same extension?
In other words, I have 3D STL files sliced in G-code by PRUSA and some sliced with CURA. But I can't remember what G-code file slicer I used when and if I go back to that file and want to print it again by just loading the g-code. I have to either open the G-code in a text editor and look for the name or redo the STL file in one or the other slicer. It would be nice to just load and print with a proven G-code without doing it all over again.
I understand that the printer will not care what slicer is used (assuming all is compatible with the format), but there are subtle differences between the slicer codes as accepted by the printer.
Am I making any sense?

Old 04-15-24, 06:59 PM
T
Received 209 Upvotes on 183 Posts
One filetype - One program association.

Try right-clicking on the file, then click on Open with and make your selection.

Old 04-15-24, 07:08 PM
C
Received 174 Upvotes on 142 Posts
I'd probably handle it by using different directories or trees of directories for the two variants.

Old 04-16-24, 04:17 AM
OK, thanks guys, you confirmed what I suspected. The two suggestions are fine but not practical. I think I need to imbed the info within the title of the file.

Old 04-16-24, 04:43 AM
Follow -up...
I posted the same question in one of the 3D printer forums and it came back with this answer:
I have not tried it.

"Should be possible from a 3rd party application > browse files there and then open or whatever. Natively, it doesn't do this as Dave says.
Could also from command line if the applications offer it. Thus it might be possible to make a script tied to an icon to open in one specific application if the application allows it.

In my experience, it should be possible in those ways.

So the following works as an example. You could instead open that one image in ms paint only while having png's in general open by default elsewhere. So for the one image in ms paint you do the following:

1. Create shortcut

2. Enter the following as target (changing the path as to where the file is for you): C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe C:\Users\YOUR_USER\Pictures\YOUR_FILE.png

Save it. And you can then open that file in ms paint that way by double clicking that shortcut. MS Paint allows this with png's. It may or may not with other image types. Other photo applications may not offer this ability.

There may also be other ways if you want to do it with an entire folder for example instead of image by image. But, I'm not getting into that. The above solves your question.

That shortcut solution described is perfect! Thank you.

Note to anyone reading -- the target program and file location both need to be in quotes. So, the target should be: "C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe" "C:\Users\YOUR_USER\Pictures\YOUR_FILE.png"

Old 04-16-24, 06:57 AM
H
Received 297 Upvotes on 255 Posts
I like the idea of an app-specific shortcut.
One other option- you could edit the file type to file.prusa.STL and file.cusa.STL or perhaps create and associate file types to associate file.PSTL or file.CSTL as names?

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 04-16-24, 07:22 AM
Hal, I like the idea. I'll try it.

Old 04-16-24, 09:45 AM
Z
Received 131 Upvotes on 122 Posts
Norm -

I think CarbideTipped's suggestion is the way things like that are normally done. I've worked on teams where we had more than a million files involved. A good structuring of the filing system with meaningful names allows you to drill down to find what you want and to also differentiate files with the same file extensions. You can also use folder shortcuts, pinned, to help.

But - that's not a law - lol! Whatever makes you comfortable can't be argued with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: