Excel File Issue

Old 04-17-24, 06:25 AM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Excel File Issue

I have an older Dell PC running Windows 10 and Office 2000. When I open an Excel file, the application closes. If I go to the file system and open the file, all is fine. What gives here?

Old 04-17-24, 06:32 AM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
It's not clear to me exactly what's happening. There are 2 ways to open an Excel file:
1) Double-click on the Excel file. It launches Excel and then opens the file.
2) Launch Excel and open the file from within Excel.

Which way is working, and which way is not?

Old 04-17-24, 06:51 AM
W
1) is working.
2) is not working.

Old 04-17-24, 07:45 AM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
That is an odd problem, I would have expected it to be the other way around. The first thing to try (if you haven't already), is to reboot the computer and see if that solves the problem.

If rebooting doesn't solve the problem, the only other thing I can think of is to open Control Panel\Programs and Features. Select Microsoft Office and select Change. It should open a dialog that gives you the option to Repair. Select Repair and see if that solves your problem. If it doesn't, you could try uninstalling/reinstalling Microsoft Office.

Old 04-17-24, 08:42 AM
W
The repair option did not solve the problem. Removing and installing Offfice did not solve the problem. I got several errors during the installation process.

As a side note, the data file I am accessing will open as expected in Libre Office.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 04-17-24, 09:53 AM
Z
Received 130 Upvotes on 121 Posts
IMHO Bob has the right advice. It does sound like Excel code or links are possibly screwed up. I think one of the things that you can do is to examine the Windows Logs with EventViewer.

I would first examine the log with EventViewer, then cause the Excel abnormal termination to occur, and then go back and examine the log again.

The log information is for the programmers and is kind of cryptic, but it may at least verify that Excel is dying with some error when you try to open the file. But if Excel just decides to terminate without any notifications to the user (although really bad practice) the log may actually not show any error. Can't hurt to look though- lol! Only takes a minute or two.

To run EventViewer in W10:

(1)Keyboard shortcut Win+R then type eventvwr.msc

(2) Look under WindowsLogs->Application

(also when you reinstalled, those error messages may shed some light)

Here is an event I see in my log after I execute Excel:

The Software Protection service has completed licensing status check.
Application Id=0ff1ce15-a989-479d-af46-f275c6370663
That makes sense. You can see that it's a license check for Office.

Last edited by zoesdad; 04-17-24 at 10:21 AM. Reason: adde
Old 04-17-24, 10:48 AM
Z
Did you check to see that the file is still in the same directory as when last opened by Excel? You should get an error message from Excel if it can't find the file in that directory, but if a piece of Excel is missing or clobbered - you may not get a message.

Old 04-17-24, 10:52 AM
W
The file was in the correct folder.

Old 04-17-24, 02:50 PM
Z
That is a head scratcher. If you look at the Properties information for the file you will see the "Location" field which identifies the location of the file, and Properties also identifies application associated with the file - which would be excel in this case.

If you double-click the file name in Windows Explorer, Explorer passes that full location as an argument to excel. In other words, it would be like using the command line in the command prompt window and typing something like this:

C:/Users/Program Files/Microsoft Office/root/Office16/EXCEL.EXE "C:Users/UserTwo/MyExcelFile.xlsx"

The first string above calls on the excel program EXCEL.EXE to be executed, and passes the second string "C:Users/UserTwo/MyExcelFile.xlsx" to excel as a parameter telling excel to open that file when it starts.

In other words, either double-clicking in Windows Explorer or typing the above command line, would both accomplish the same thing, that is, starting excel with a given file to open on startup.

The specific location of your excel program, and the specific location of the file you want opened, would be different than the example above. But the idea would be the same.

Long story short, I'm not saying use the command line to open your excel file, I just mean that passing the file name to excel by one of the means above (command line or double-click), should not be much different than opening the file from within excel itself. Once excel knows the file to open - you would think the code path from that point on, would then be identical in all cases.

So that's why I agree with Bob and it certainly points to something damaged in excel itself, something which must be unique to that path where the file is opened internally from within excel itself.

Office 2000 is really old and is no longer supported. Maybe that's why you get errors on the re-install. I think if you can't do the re-install, you just may be out of luck. Hopefully not.

Old 04-17-24, 05:12 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
Office 2000 is not listed as being compatible with Windows 10 but the claim is it might run in Compatibility mode.

Old 04-18-24, 07:14 AM
T
Received 209 Upvotes on 183 Posts
If you think you need to run it in compatibility mode, be sure to run the installer using compatibility mode.

Wirepuller38 voted this post useful.
Old 04-18-24, 07:31 AM
W
Apparently, the source disks I have for Office 2000 are damaged. I tried loading it to another computer and got the same error messages. Time to move on to other applications to do the same work. I am too old to invest in another Microsoft Office product.

Thank you for all who offered suggestions.

Old 04-29-24, 03:03 AM
A
Received 169 Upvotes on 139 Posts
#1 - has excel worked on this system in the past or is this a new install.
#2 - "As a side note, the data file I am accessing will open as expected in Libre Office."
Libre is a good alternative and it is free. I use it all the time and so does everyone else in our office. We were using Open Office but migrated to Libre as the database function is better in some regards.
Certain excel files don't work properly in Libre (embedded data) so we have in the past used excel 365 (paid usage by the month of about $9.00).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: