Processors - Celeron Vs. Pentium

Old 07-16-01, 09:45 PM
Question

I am not a computer genius, nor do I have a lot of money to spend on a new computer.
I want the most computer for the buck.

Can somebody tell me what the difference is between the Celeron and Pentium processors? The Pentium is so much more expensive. Is it just because that's what's hot?

What is the real difference?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-01, 04:40 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Herm, I don't have a techie answer for you on the difference between Celeron and Pentium because I'm not much into hardware as long as it works and works well. I have an HP 6545C with 550 Celeron, my mother a Gateway 600 Pentium III and a friend a Gateway 1000 with a Pentium IV. We all use our machines in much the same manner and I have been on all of them and I can tell no difference in the way they perform. I have a 56k dialup and can download 2-3 at a time, surf, have a light duty game going in the background and a couple of word processors going and notice little if any hang time with these things going on. The only lag I get is when printing. I don't know this from experience but a person that is a heavy gamer or worked with graphics like Photo Shop or Paint Shop Pro would probably benefit from the Pentium speed. Also, I have heard that gamers that play in real time online have trouble with less than 800-900 and and a Pentium III. Every program I have bought requires a Pentium II or greater and I have never found one didn't perform well on my Celeron. I would buy my machine again unless I had online gaming or photo restoration in my future....Mike

Old 07-17-01, 05:33 AM
BSB
You can think of the celeron as the generic version of the pentium. Granted its not generic, but works. The celeron is a budget version of the pentium, has many of the same features but is lacking some of the perks the pentium chip has. The celeron uses different die technologies as well as cache. If I can find the website will edit this message and put it up.

If you want to go ultra budget you may think about looking into the athlons or the durons, both compete well against the intell chips, cost 1/2 the money, and in most circumstances out perform the intel chips, the p4 out does the t-bird in the upper end office programs.

Brian

Old 07-17-01, 11:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Lightbulb

Actually, one big difference is main buss speed. A P-4 1.4Gig may have a 133 or 166mHz buss, where as an Athlon 1.4Gig may have only a 100mHz buss.

I have the latter in my GW Select system.

-Chris

Old 07-17-01, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by BSB
You can think of the celeron as the generic version of the pentium. Granted its not generic, but works. The celeron is a budget version of the pentium, has many of the same features but is lacking some of the perks the pentium chip has.
That's pretty much what I thought it was. Thanks to everybody that replied to this thread. Based on your input, I'm probably going to go with the Celeron. I don't do any memory intensive graphics or anything, so it should be fine.

Search this Thread