Bad Power Supply?

Old 05-23-24, 09:36 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bad Power Supply?

Compaq Presario PC SR5030NX - I know it's very old but still good for the application.

Anyway, when I plug in the PC - sometimes the light in the back of the case from the power supply comes on. Sometimes it does not.

When the light on the power supply is on and I press the power on button in the front - the CPU fan starts up then shuts down and the power supply light goes out.

Power supply bad? How best to diagnose?

If so where best to get a cheap replacement power supply.

Thanks,

Harv

Old 05-23-24, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
You can test the power supply using a multimeter by unplugging the power supply from the motherboard and also unplug the other components directly connected to the power supply. Short pins 15 and 16 and the power supply connector and then plug in the power supply. The fan should at least start up.

There are many videos and tutorials out there by just searching "testing computer power supply with multimeter"

Old 05-23-24, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,099 Upvotes on 3,682 Posts
Look for a computer repair center. They'll probably give you one.
Any ATX supply should be ok. 400-500 watts.
Many used on ebay.

ATX 500w

Old 05-23-24, 07:12 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 280 Upvotes on 221 Posts
I dont want to take away from the original possibility of a bad power supply nor Tolyn's input. I agree it very well could be a PS issue.

I got my self taught repair knowledge back in the Presario days. I ran into this issue a couple of times. I found a bad processor was the culprit. Bad motherboard is also a possibility.

I'm not nearly as sharp as I used to be & I have forgotten a lot since those days. So, just keep a bad processor in the back of your mind for other diagnostics.

good luck.....

Old 05-24-24, 05:58 AM
H
I tested the power supply by jumping green and black pins. Power supply fan comes on. I did this several times and all the same - power supply fan comes on. I checked several voltages and all were good.

I then put the connector back on the mother board and voila - everything is now working. I unplugged and plugged the power cord several times and all tries worked.

So, could this be an intermittent power supply problem? Something else?

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Harv

Old 05-24-24, 08:44 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 280 Upvotes on 221 Posts
Could be a list of things but I'd chalk it up to a bad connection - the wire /connector to the motherboard. May have just gotten pulled a bit or something. Just keep an eye on it.

Old 05-24-24, 09:04 AM
Z
Received 134 Upvotes on 125 Posts
I agree with what Dixie says. If it's not all closed up, I would check all the internal connections, even the processor.

Old 05-24-24, 01:23 PM
H
Thanks for the suggestions.

The computer is used once a week for maintaining scores for a golf league. Then it is unplugged and sits idle for a week. The league has ended until October (too hot in Florida) so no hurry getting it fixed. I'll just keep the same once-a-week usage pattern going to see if the problem comes back.

I'll also check wiring connections.

Harv

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: