Printing Passwords

Old 07-08-24, 12:40 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Printing Passwords

Dell XPS 8940
Windows 11
Brother HL-L2300D Printer (wired)

I'd like to use Libre spreadsheet and print all my passwords.

Question is what do I do after to make sure my passwords aren't
anywhere on my computer or in some 'cloud' whatever. I've never
used a cloud for anything but who knows nowadays.

I guess I could disconnect from the internet while doing this,
delete it from ????

Thanks, my brain already hurts.

Top Answer

07-08-24, 12:57 PM
Dixie2012
Group Moderator
Received 291 Upvotes on 230 Posts
Nothing you can do that is 100% secure... as you know, I'm sure. I made a list of all my passwords with a word processor & saved the file to a thumb drive, then print a copy for my files/use. Is it deep in my system somewhere? Yes. Is it stored readily accessible on my computer? No.
When I need to update my passwords, I change it with pen/pencil on my printed sheet. Every so often, I connect my thumb drive, click the file, it loads my word processor & loads the file. I update all my passwords and print a new copy. Remove the drive & store it.

Just the way I do it.

Old 07-08-24, 12:54 PM
Received 90 Upvotes on 79 Posts
Most internet browsers (Chrome, Edge, Opera, etc.) offer to save your passwords locally on your C: drive. As long as you tell your browser not to save passwords, you should be okay. You can go into your browser settings and turn off the option to save passwords. You can also view any passwords that were previously saved, and delete them.

Baldwin voted this post useful.
Old 07-08-24, 12:57 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 291 Upvotes on 230 Posts
Nothing you can do that is 100% secure... as you know, I'm sure. I made a list of all my passwords with a word processor & saved the file to a thumb drive, then print a copy for my files/use. Is it deep in my system somewhere? Yes. Is it stored readily accessible on my computer? No.
When I need to update my passwords, I change it with pen/pencil on my printed sheet. Every so often, I connect my thumb drive, click the file, it loads my word processor & loads the file. I update all my passwords and print a new copy. Remove the drive & store it.

Just the way I do it.

Baldwin, Wayne Mitchell voted this post useful.
Old 07-08-24, 01:03 PM
C
Received 182 Upvotes on 149 Posts
If all you do is create the spreadsheet, enter the data and print the spreadsheet without saving the file, and then exit without saving and restart your computer and your printer, you should be OK. But you'd be better off using a password manager that saves the passwords in encrypted form where they are safe from prying malware. A further benefit is that the password manager lets you use longer and stronger passwords since the software will enter the passwords as needed without you having to type them in.

Baldwin voted this post useful.
Old 07-09-24, 04:23 AM
J
Received 531 Upvotes on 435 Posts
I use excel and password protect the file. The file is kept on a thumb drive not the computer. I keep a backup on a second thumb drive.

Baldwin, the_tow_guy voted this post useful.
Old 07-10-24, 02:10 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have used RoboForm password manager for at least 30 years. Check it out, and you can print the passwords if you want as an ultimate backup.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: