Win98 to WinME Networking

Old 07-28-01, 05:46 PM
Question

I recently purchased a Dell Dimension L1000 for my daughter. We already had a Dell Dimension XPS-700r. The L1000 has WinME, the 700r has Win98SE. Prior to getting the L1000, I had the 700r networked to an old gateway 486-33 which also ran Win98SE. No problems. Now that I'm trying to network to the L1000, the 700r won't even see the workgroup. Same connections and hardware - 3Com 10Base-T NICs, Cat 5 cable passing thru a Bay Networks EN 108TP hub which then connects to my Cisco DSL modem. Both machines can use the internet. The L1000 can see the workgroup and the 700r but can't connect to it. Both machines have NetBUEI. I even used the home networking wizard fron WinME to try to set up the network. Nothing works. Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-01, 06:06 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
rid

1st off get rid of the netBuei! it will set you up for trouble. Are the 2 computers named the same? Since the online sharing works are you sure you have the sharing setup for each drive on? You don't need a hub for just 2 computers. Peer to peer will work fine. Sounds like a identification problem?... Here we go

Old 07-28-01, 06:24 PM
Angry WIn98SE to WinME Networking

Fascinating. A guy at Dell's support site set make NetBuei was installed. Both PCs address the same workgroup, as was the case previously. Different computer names and passwords. Should I change the "username" when the network password dialog box pops up?

Old 07-29-01, 08:18 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool user

Yea the user names must be different. And the NetBuie thing, when I set up my network the guy that helped me and taught me about this said the NetBuie will allow others access to your computer, especialy if you are on a cable modem like I am. Check with a different source for tech help, I think NetBuie has to be installed but not running. I will get with my guru and make sure but that's the way I am set up here...

Old 07-29-01, 12:37 PM
Angry Still no Network on 700r

I whacked the .pwl files, checked the workgroup names, user names, disconnected and reconnected the cable, still nothing. When I double click on network neighborhood the flashlight pops up and the fool thing searches for a couple minutes. I used to pop right to the workgroup, which is the same for both pcs. Next?

Old 07-30-01, 05:22 AM
BSB
I am a bit rusty on peer-peer, but did you share your drives on each pc? You should be able to just share the whole drive, but I have to share each master folder on my 2 pc's here at work to be able to share info back and forth.

If it sounds like I am way off base, I jsut may be, only wake now for 1 hour.

Brian

Old 07-30-01, 09:04 AM
One little thing to check. Make sure your NetBios is operating on the same protocal on both machines. Your older machine may have NetBios on NetBeui while the new machine is most likley running NetBios on TCP/IP. In both cases the NetBios is just a checkbox on the protocal properties box that you get when you double click the protocal in Network Properties. Also, if you are using NetBios via TCP/IP on both machines make sure they both have the same subnet mask.

To follow up on an earlier point. NetBeui is very insecure but an easy to use and robust protocal for small peer-to-peer. If you are on-line all the time on a cable or DSL modem consider getting a personal firewall to protect your NetBeui and other network resources.

Old 07-30-01, 02:38 PM
Talking Win98 to WinME Networking

Master, it's alive. ALIVE I TELL YOU!!! The NetBeui wasn't set up correctly on the WinME box. It still takes a bit to see the network on the Win98 box, but what the hey. THANKS for all your help!!!!

Old 08-01-01, 07:20 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool lost

Didn't even think of the netbios. Thanks Mr hoadar!!! I was lost too. Me and the guru talked till 1:am this am trying to reproduce what was going on with you but couldn't...