IE 5.5 web pages won't print

Old 03-17-01, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Question

Have previously used Netscape but now using IE 5.5. Still keeping Netscape because I am unable to print web pages in IE. If I hit print all that comes out is a blank page with the print preview header [print button, icons, page x of x,
zoom factor, help button, close button]. Same when I go to print preview; a blank preview page comes up with only the preview toolbar at top. Have checked any internet/IE options I could think of with no success. Pages print just fine in Netscape. [dkerr - this is the problem I originally wanted to post when I was having the forum-reading problem previously; got so caught up in that problem forgot about this one!].

Thanks.

jws

Old 03-17-01, 03:45 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Go to TOOLS / Internet Options,
click on advanced tab
Go down to where it says printing, check off the box where it says PRINT BACKGROUND COLORS AND IMAGES.

Click apply and ok.

You may have to close out explorer and possibly even reboot.
See what happens now when you try to print, does it make any difference ? I assume that the problem occurs no matter what site you are on.

Which browser is your default broswer ?

Old 03-17-01, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Already tried the print background etc. option. Also tried the reset IE defaults button also with no success.

IE is default browser. Frustrating part is I have no idea how long it's had the problem as I've used Netscape almost exclusively in the past. Fortunately everything prints fine in Netscape so I do have a work-around.

I do know the problem was there before AND after I installed the latest IE service package (SP1). I'm stumped.

jws

Old 03-17-01, 05:21 PM
D
Occasionly I get stumped, I don't have an answer yet, (I do my best to have a answer most times) . Only one thing I can think of is to re-install Internet Explorer. Download the small set up file from the microsoft site for the latest version, and start the setup file to go thru the motions of downloading the components and installing, and see what happens.

Old 03-18-01, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, tried running the IE setup again, no change; still get blank print preview and printer output. This is strange!

jws

Old 03-18-01, 11:45 AM
D
One thougth, If you have a legal copy of windows you can submit the question to microsoft help. If you have a copy , don't ask microsoft.

Old 03-20-01, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
Microsoft Product Support is gnawing on it; will post solution if/when I get one.

jws

Old 03-24-01, 02:16 AM
Visiting Guest
I've got IE 5.5 and can print out the pages no problem. However I would suggest going to microsoft.com and going to their updates on products page. This scans your system (no info is sent to Microsoft so copies are OK) and a list of dl's will be shown. You will usually get one for IE. Try dling and installing and see if this helps.
Good luck.

Old 08-01-01, 03:26 PM
mask327
Visiting Guest
I have same problem, can't print from I E 5.5

When trying to print from internet explorer, I can print my e-mail and I can print sites home page but not any pages from web site print preview just shows blank page any help?

Thnaks for any help Mike

Old 08-01-01, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Aaarrgh! Mine's fixed but can't remember what the fix was and forgot to post a follow up at the time. Will dig around and see if I still have the email exchanges with MS Tech Support. It did NOT involve any of the usual methods, i.e. reinstalling IE, etc, etc. Will post info if I can find it.

Old 08-01-01, 07:17 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool update

Go to Tools, Windoze updates, and download and install the internet print update from MS. This should take care of it. You may also wish to get IE 6.0. It's a 15 to 18 meg download but seems to be running better than 5.5 did. I have had 6.0 running for about 2 months now.

Old 08-05-01, 06:05 AM
mask327
Visiting Guest
Thanks Big Mike

Big Mike,

Thanks for your help, I downloaded the update, and that took care of it. Thanks again for your help.
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: