Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

SYSTEM MONITOR Question

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

07-31-01, 09:55 AM   #1  
My Gateway Select 1200 Millennium Edition Athlon computer has 128mB of physical RAM, with 16mB permanently allocated to video(no separate video DRAM on this system).

That leaves 112mB of RAM usable. After booting, and before opening anything, I ran my System Monitor and was shocked to see that I had only 30~35 mB or unused RAM! When I open my ISP's browser, that drops to 12mB or so, and I start seeing SwapFile activity - a couple of mB, more or less.

Since I have disabled a lot of "fluff" from running automatically at start up a long time ago, I don't understand what could be using that much memory. I presume that Me uses anywhere from 24mB to 30 to run, but 112mB - 30 is 72mB. What else is hogging an additional 40mB of my memory, and how can I find out?

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links

CANADA

08-01-01, 04:31 AM   #2  
I have reading in system info and at start up showing 191 meg memory, and I actually have 128 meg of memory installed in the computer. Windows ME. I like winodws ME and am pleased with the operating system, but I am not sure where there memory info is computed from.

I think if the system is performing well and you have no problems with the system, then there is nothing to worry about. Some of these freebee ISP's (should you be using one) put ad banners on your screen which can take up resources, and slow down the computer, tried them, hated them and I think you get what you pay for, have a high speed connection now.

unless you have a considerable amount of things running at the same time, 128 meg of memory will do most people well.

Visiting Guest

08-01-01, 04:55 AM   #3  
mikejmerritt
Jackofalltradez, Here is some links to some resource info. I read through these some time back and learned a lot about resources and how Windows uses them. Fred Langa-Resources Part One

Fred Langa-Resources Part Two

Fred Langa-Resources Part Three

Fred Langa-ResourcesPart Four

PC Forrest-Resources

If ME has System Information in Control Panel look in the Performance tab and see what % is available when the resources drop.....Mike

IL

08-02-01, 06:50 PM   #4  
On the other hand,
Dram is so cheap why drag down a $1000 machine for the lack of a $30-40 memory chip. I say go for it and stick in another 128MB.

Also, what antivirus are you running? Some chew up a lot of memory. So does high resolutions (over 1024) especially if your running 32 bit color with an awesome background with lots of details and colors.

The other thing to do is ctrl-alt-delete and make a list of what is running. Eliminate them one at a time and see which one is the memory hog. (Don't stop Explorer)

08-02-01, 07:33 PM   #5  
CTRL+ALT+DEL > What the heck is Sk9910dm?? Or, "Wkdetect?" I don't think I need MSWorks autmatically detecting upgrades, I can always do them manually.

My video is 1024x768, with IE wallpaper of one baaaad lookin' roller coaster. Could that be a hog as well?

Finally, I think my virtually memory is set for 1/10th of my 20GB harddrive size - default "Let Windows Manage" my settings.

-Chris

IL

08-03-01, 11:56 AM   #6  
Quoting***
CTRL+ALT+DEL > What the heck is Sk9910dm?? Or, "Wkdetect?"
Who knows. Leave it off for a while and if nothing goes wrong you didn't need it anyway.

08-04-01, 10:17 AM   #7  
mrhoadar, others,

Some new developments:

Was able to F1 into my CMOS and disable "Soft Boot" > the feature that shows the Gateway Cowbox splash instead of memory count and detection.

Also, went into Advanced Chipset Settings and uncovered the following:

Display Memory: 8 / 16(mine) / 32mB

AGP Aperature: 32 / 64(mine) / 128 / 256mB

My question here is, is it alright to halve one or both of those settings? I mean, my old computer didn't even have 32mB RAM total! And as I recall it may have had, tops, 2 or 4mB of Display(video) RAM.

Thanks for your suggs,

Chris

IL

08-04-01, 06:24 PM   #8  
It sounds like your motherboard is reserving 80mb of memory. Hard to tell without all the tech specs. It may not be using it all but it may not be letting other resources use it either. For fast operations running high end programs, however, you need video memory. I just got spam from tigerdirect.com, 256mb PC133 memory was $29.99. My original suggestion still stands. If you're using ME or 2000 your computer will roll with that much more RAM. Then you can even change those settings you found to the highest levels and still have lots of Ram for everything else.

08-05-01, 05:28 PM   #9  
Thanks m -

I was just curious because I believe that the less time you spend in virtual memory and more time in physical RAM, the faster your overall system performance will be - correct? Also, less HD thrashing and wear on the heads.

-Chris

Search this Thread