OutLook Notes - Converting

Old 08-03-01, 06:15 AM
BGH
Question

Does anyone know how to convert an Outlook Notes file to an Excel Sreadsheet? And Please don't say copy and paste (I know that).

A little background - I have been using my PDA to keep track of my checkbook balances. Frequently I export this checkbook registry and it goes to Outlook Notes when I sync with the computer.

What I'd like to do is convert this information to a spreadsheet so I can better organize and budget.

One problem - the computer I use is my at work, therefore I am somewhat limited as to adding programs.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

BGH

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-01, 12:12 PM
Typically, data that you want to bring up in a spreadsheet needs to have some type of deliniation, most often a comma.
I.E.
a1,a2,a3,a4
b1,b2,b3,b4

You can save an Outlook note to a text file but I'm not sure if it will have any deliniation. However, if it does you should be able to open that text file using Excel.

By the way which PDA OS are you using?

Old 08-04-01, 08:29 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Palm

I use a Palm 3c and if you go to http://www.palmblvd.com/ There is a freeware program called Expense sheet that will keep track of money, fuel, miles, who you owe, when you paid and is compatible with Excel.

Old 08-07-01, 09:03 AM
BGH
Thanks for the suggestions. The information in the Outlook Note (that I had exported from my PDA program) is comma delienated. How can I get this into an Excel spreadsheet - What are the steps to convert??

I have a Visor Deluxe that runs on OS 3.0.

Are there other good sites for palm freeware? With the NFL season soon here, I'm also looking for a good program that will allow me to track my fantasy football player stats during Sunday gameday. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Old 08-07-01, 11:14 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool palm

Znet, Cnet, http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze25myt/ are the ones I use and I have seen something about football score keepers etc. I don't know about the comma thing...

Old 08-08-01, 05:33 PM
When you export from Outlook Notes save the file as .txt some like mychek.txt. Open Excel. Go to File>Open. In the open dialog box is a section called "Files of Type" in the lower left hand corner. Switch the setting to "Text Files". Then open your txt file. If all goes right you'll get the text import wizard. (Office 97 and up as least). The Wizard is pretty straight forward but it may take a couple of tries to get all your data to look the way you want.

One other suggestion, Documents to Go is a program that lets you put a working Excel spreadsheet on your Visor which is actually running the Palm OS.